I have no fn clue what i'm doing, first time builder O_O

shaddix

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I'm getting all this from newegg, I kind of have an idea about what I'm doing. I just need to ask people who actually know stuff if the stuff i've picked out is actually going to work o_o;

I have a dvd rw drive from my old comp i will be putting in this one, the rest of the stuff i'm buying off new egg, I'm going to use the onboard audio on the mobo for now, I haven't decided what audio card to get yet >_<

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

two: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK - Retail

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

TWO: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material - Retail

Foxconn FV-N88SMBD2-ONOC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

anything that isn't going to work??? Or like whatever else may be wrong or somethign I forgot or didn't realize or I don't know. Help me out ^^ <3

edit: removed the sta cables, switched to a diff video card, although still an 8800 gts, but is factory overclocked, @.@;

edit2: swapped the zalman with tuniq tower, replaced e6700 with e6600 planning to oc, hence the tuniq :) --- now wondering if it will fit in this case :/ any suggestions? Budget only please lol.. not more than 100 most likely

edit3: replaced arctic silver 5 with this shin-etsu stuff, added x-fi card

shaddix

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
oh damn o_o;;;;;;

Would you recommend I get an e6750 or should I stick with e6700 and oc it. I'm not sure how this would work but the mobo i'm getting supports the higher fsb of the xx50 series.

4745454b

Titan
I would make a couple of changes. First, drop the SATA cables. You get 2 cables with your motherboard, so you don't need them. Second, why are you getting the 6700 instead of the 6600? Seeing as your getting aftermarket cooling, I'd be tempted to get a 6420/6320 and overclock it to 3GHz. (the 6420 should make it there, the 6320 should get close.) Save your self some dough and get the 6600. Last, before you plunk down your money for the Samsung drive, make sure its a good one. Most people I know buy the WD or Seagate series of drives. Might want to look into why.

shaddix

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Ahh ok excellent i just picked the 6700 for.......... no particular reason lol.

about the hdds, yeah i kind of would like to get seagate also :X the samsungs were a little cheaper, I will go read a few more reviews :>

shaddix

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
also should i use ups 3 day? fedex 3day? or ups overnight? ups 3day is 35 dollars, fedex 3 day is like 100, and ups overnight is like 118

jesset

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
just get ups 3day every other option is a total waste of money, if you order today you will most likely have the pc early next week, maybe even monday.

4745454b

Titan
Seeing as you have no Fn idea what your doing, and this is your first time building, let me walk you through the next steps. First, wait for all of your stuff to arrive. I think you bought all your stuff from one place, so this only applies if something was on backorder, or they put it in several boxes, only some of which show up.

Second, clear some room. Its best if you work over tile, so that you don't build up any static charges. (I always build mine on my living room floor however, never had a problem. Its carpet.) Open up the boxes and get a good look at what your dealing with. If your paranoid, now is the time you write down what everything is. (serial number, etc.) Don't forget to right down the numbers on your CPU, as you won't be able to get to them once your HSF is on.

Third. Ok, you have a bunch of parts in front of you, now what? Start with your motherboard. Put your CPU in your motherboard. Next, apply a small amount of TIM (Thermal Interface Matrial). Either spread it with the supplied card, use your own card, or put a sandwich bag over a finger and spread it with that. Now put your heatsink on. (read the instructions to see how to orientate it correctly.) Intels are a PITA to get on, so make sure you twisted/attached it correctly. Look on all four sides to make sure there are no gaps. (this is why you do this outside of the case...) Once your satified that that its all together, plug the fan into the CPU header.

As a last step while its out of the case, I add the memory. This isn't a deal breaker, but its eaiser. Don't forget to look for which slots are needed for dual channel operation. The next step is to look at the case. Make sure that the brass studs are only in the A holes. (Cases vary, you need the ones for ATX.) Drop your motherboard into the case, and make sure you have a standoff over each of your holes. Do your best to make sure when you drop it down that there aren't any extra ones. Once your satisfied with the standoffs, go ahead and screw it in.

From here on out, its smooth sailing. Add in your drives, cards, etc. Plug in your case wires so that you can have your switches, LEDs, etc. Once its all together, the last step is to add in the PSU. It doesn't matter if you start with the motherboard wires and then the cards/drives. Just make sure that you have everything pluged in. Once you've done that, your set.
Twisttie unneeded cords into an empty drive bay, route the wires neatly through your case. Put the side on and enjoy your new rig!

shaddix

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
wow very nice thank you mr 4745454b Nice to have someone's words instead of a couple pieces of paper telling me how to do things :)

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
The Crucial ram is better, it uses the Micron D9 chips which are great for overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565
The G Skill are also a respected brand but are not at the Crucial level. If the G Skill were $25-$35 cheaper then I would get them, but for only a $5 premium the Crucial sticks are the better choice.
I though g skill was better then on overclocking then crucial ballistic.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
The Crucial ram is better, it uses the Micron D9 chips which are great for overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565
The G Skill are also a respected brand but are not at the Crucial level. If the G Skill were $25-$35 cheaper then I would get them, but for only a $5 premium the Crucial sticks are the better choice.
I though g skill was better then on overclocking then crucial ballistic.

Me2

Sparks101

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Hate to burst your bubble, but the rebate for that Crucial Ballistix ended on July 5th. Dunno how strict they are about the dates though. Newegg screwed me over on the OCZ 700W PSU also, as they said the rebate was active when I ordered, but I come to find out the rebate started a day after I ordered. I also ordered an Antec 120 case, and honestly, like 5 hours after I ordered the case, Newegg posts it in the deals section with a 50 dollar rebate. Pisses me off.