• Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yantasticxd

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hello there! The computer that I am using as of now is fairly old, chugging along on a AMD64 3000. It's about time for me to upgrade my computer, but along with upgrading the processor and the memory, the motherboard needs to be upgraded too. I already know the processor I'm choosing and the memory. I'm going to have a C2D E4300 with Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800. The final selection comes down to the motherboard. Trust me, I've been looking at the reviews and comparisons but its been a stressful 5 hours. I need some opinions from people that really know their motherboard stuff.

The main highlights of the P6N SLI that attracts me is the:
1. 650i chipset. Although it's old, it's proven to be effective, and provides nearly the same performance as the 680i. It overclocks well and theres nothing not to like about it.
2. Solid Capacitors
3. Very good passive cooling of the Southbridge and Northbridge chipsets
4. Supports up to a 1333 FSB
5. Has obtained an overclock of 448mhz from stock 266mhz
Disadvantages:
1. MSI had issues with their capacitors leaking, and a lawsuit was filed a while back
2. Never owned a MSI product before
3. On various websites, the max overclock was less 400mhz or less

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R:
1. New P35 chipset. On most overclocking tests, it's shown to have very good results.
2. Supports the new 45nm processors that will be coming out
3. Has a 1333 FSB
4. Has achieved an overclock of 465mhz from the stock 266mhz
5. the Gigabyte brand somehow seems more prestigious than MSI
6. Personally own a Gigabyte Geforce 6600 with passive cooling for a LONGG time, and has not failed at all.
Disadvantages:
1. Heatsink for the Southbridge and Northbridge seems inferior to the P6N

Someone please help me! It's one of my final decisions to upgrading my computer. What do you guys think of these motherboards? If anyone owns any of these, please tell me how it fares, how much you've overclocked and how cool the system runs along with any other information you think might help me decide. Is there something I forgot to add to the advantages/disadvantages? Please tell me I need some serious help deciding.

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Personally I've been a GigaByte bigot for years.....

What is the most important thing for you in choosing the board? From your comments it looks like over-clocking and that is going to depend on all the components plus a small helping of luck. Future proofing and processor support, I expect both boards will be the roughly the same and covered by BIOS updates - maybe consider how the BIOS is updated¿ Heat sinks on N&S bridge - I don't know of anybody how has HAD to replace or upgrade them.

Me I look for number of USB & Firewire ports, and RAID support, the rest is all much of a muchness these days.