Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Service control manager error

Last response: in Windows XP
December 22, 2009 8:04:21 PM

I have frequently been getting BSOD that crashes the computer, and it has to reboot. it usually happens in games, or when I try to alt-f4 out of games. The vague details are here:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 12/21/2009
Time: 11:50:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: AMD64
Description:
The Microsoft Windows service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It gave me no information about which service is causing the problem. how can I find out which service is in error and fix it?

Thanks guys.
December 22, 2009 11:37:44 PM

Go into C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up all of the dump files. Post them on a file hosting site like MegaUpload, and post the link here so we can analyze the dump files.
m
l
December 23, 2009 12:52:35 AM

Problem. There are no dumpfiles within 4 months of the current date. guess that's out. What else?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2009 1:11:45 AM

Capture the error code, or upload the mini dump the next time it happens.. Can't really say much based on the info given thus far (not that i'm blaming you or anything... it's just too hard to actually say what's wrong or how to fix it at this point).
m
l
December 23, 2009 1:45:41 AM

see, thats why im kinda screwed, cause there is no mini dump file being created, and the blue screen only stays for 1/4 of a second. crap.
m
l

Best solution

December 23, 2009 4:19:52 AM

Next time you boot into Windows, hit F8 and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". This will leave the error code on screen so you can write it down until you reboot the system yourself.
December 23, 2009 6:49:15 AM

I knew all of this stuff a year or two ago, but sadly have forgotten. thanks for helping despite my ignorance.
m
l
!