HDMI versus DVI

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 6, 2005 12:25:10 AM

Can somebody please explain these different inputs. Thanks.

More about : hdmi versus dvi

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 12:25:11 AM

In article <G0uWd.85$Ue1.79@fe08.lga>,
"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:

> Can somebody please explain these different inputs. Thanks.

Two things, essentially.

1. They use different plugs. But there are HDMI to DVI cables, so you
can connect and HDMI output to a DVI input.

2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.

March 6, 2005 12:48:23 AM

Dvi is a digital way to get your video to your tv without the digital to
analog conversion. IT is digital all the way from receiver to your tv.
HDMI is the exact same thing except, the sound is included with the
single cable as the video cable. HDMI is the future of digital
electronics and dvi is the almost recent past. IF you use dvi you
still have to use audio jacks (red/white) to the tv and a digital coax
or digital t- link to the audio receiver for dolby digital sound. Most
of your hd tvs in the last three years have dvi cable inputs and the
newest hd tvs are going with the hdmi. I hope that helps. :)

--
MikeD-C05, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
March 6, 2005 2:26:19 AM

Michelle Steiner wrote:

> 2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.

I think you meant HDMI is digital audio (5.1) and video.

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface. In short, it incorporates
DVI video signals and digital audio signals in a smaller connector and
adds new capabilities for device communications for auto configuration.
www.hdmi.org provides some pr info.

Alan F
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:26:20 AM

In article <UP-dncSoy6xVG7ffRVn-og@comcast.com>,
Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

> > 2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.
>
> I think you meant HDMI is digital audio (5.1) and video.
>
> HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface. In short, it
> incorporates DVI video signals and digital audio signals in a smaller
> connector and adds new capabilities for device communications for
> auto configuration. www.hdmi.org provides some pr info.

But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate digital
audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does accept audio via
HDMI. So it must be receiving analog audio. I guess HDMI can transmit
both digital and analog audio. BTW, according to that web site you
cited, it can transmit up to eight channels of audio, so it appears that
it can do 6.1 and 7.1 as well as 5.1.

March 6, 2005 2:49:01 AM

I might not have explained it like you did, but that is what I meant.
The new 942 is supposed to have hdmi and an adapter for dvi as well.

--
MikeD-C05, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:43:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that HDMI is a negotiated protocol. The two devices
that are connected via HDMI (say a TV and a cable box) negotiate with
each other as to what capabilities they support, and the best
combination is transmitted. In your case, your TV says "no I don't
support 5.1" so the box doesn't transmit it.

If you've connected your TV by HDMI, you'll notice that it takes a
couple of seconds longer to start up your cable box or DVD.

-barry

Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <UP-dncSoy6xVG7ffRVn-og@comcast.com>,
> Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> > 2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.
>>
>> I think you meant HDMI is digital audio (5.1) and video.
>>
>> HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface. In short, it
>> incorporates DVI video signals and digital audio signals in a smaller
>> connector and adds new capabilities for device communications for
>> auto configuration. www.hdmi.org provides some pr info.
>
>But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate digital
>audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does accept audio via
>HDMI. So it must be receiving analog audio. I guess HDMI can transmit
>both digital and analog audio. BTW, according to that web site you
>cited, it can transmit up to eight channels of audio, so it appears that
>it can do 6.1 and 7.1 as well as 5.1.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:42:57 PM

Barry F Margolius wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that HDMI is a negotiated protocol. The two devices
> that are connected via HDMI (say a TV and a cable box) negotiate with
> each other as to what capabilities they support, and the best
> combination is transmitted. In your case, your TV says "no I don't
> support 5.1" so the box doesn't transmit it.
>
> If you've connected your TV by HDMI, you'll notice that it takes a
> couple of seconds longer to start up your cable box or DVD.
>
> -barry

I'll have to agree with you.

My STB to TV is connected from DVI to HDMI and I notice that there's a
lag when I turn it on, as if the two are checking each other's setup
before settling to an agreement or something :)

Also, my STB's digital audio is connected to a Sony receiver with an
optical cable, and my receiver automatically broadcasts the signal's
output (it says on the face) whether it's 2.0, 5.1, or 6.1, etc., so
it's obvious that the receiver is "talking" to the cablebox.

-Naz
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:56:00 PM

In article <r4gm21tqc9nbm0n85t5hsfge67qo78mbq8@4ax.com>,
Barry F Margolius <bfm@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that HDMI is a negotiated protocol. The two devices
> that are connected via HDMI (say a TV and a cable box) negotiate with
> each other as to what capabilities they support, and the best
> combination is transmitted. In your case, your TV says "no I don't
> support 5.1" so the box doesn't transmit it.

That could be; I don't know.

> If you've connected your TV by HDMI, you'll notice that it takes a
> couple of seconds longer to start up your cable box or DVD.

I have a DVR HDTivo, and it is always on.

March 6, 2005 5:57:58 PM

In article <yKKdnfOT08CqwLbfRVn-2Q@comcast.com>,
Naz Reyes <user@site.com> wrote:

> Also, my STB's digital audio is connected to a Sony receiver with an
> optical cable, and my receiver automatically broadcasts the signal's
> output (it says on the face) whether it's 2.0, 5.1, or 6.1, etc., so
> it's obvious that the receiver is "talking" to the cablebox.

The receiver recognizes what kind of signal it is receiving; it's
encoded into the digital signal. It doesn't have to talk to the cable
box.

March 6, 2005 11:27:44 PM

"Naz Reyes" <user@site.com> wrote in message
> it's obvious that the receiver is "talking" to the cablebox.
>
> -Naz

It's not talking, the receiver recognizes the signal being sent. It
does not however talk to the cable box.
Clay
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:42:23 AM

Michelle Steiner (michelle@michelle.org) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate digital
> audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does accept audio via
> HDMI.

Then, it appears your TV actually can "do digital audio", because there
are no analog audio signals on an HDMI cable.

--
Jeff Rife | "Hey, Brain, what do you wanna do tonight?"

| "The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
| try to take over the world."
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:58:13 AM

In article <MPG.1c958990cc2f28ac989c0f@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> > But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate
> > digital audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does
> > accept audio via HDMI.
>
> Then, it appears your TV actually can "do digital audio", because
> there are no analog audio signals on an HDMI cable.

Well, the TV doesn't have any separate digital audio inputs. The only
audio inputs are stereo RCA jacks and the HDMI connector.

If it does digital audio, why doesn't it have any digital audio inputs?

March 7, 2005 6:02:47 AM

Michelle Steiner (michelle@michelle.org) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Well, the TV doesn't have any separate digital audio inputs. The only
> audio inputs are stereo RCA jacks and the HDMI connector.
>
> If it does digital audio, why doesn't it have any digital audio inputs?

It does...on the HDMI input.

The advantage to doing it this way it that it doesn't have to handle
anything but 2-channel PCM (which can be negotiated with the source
device). A "regular" digital audio input would be expected to handle
Dolby Digital at the very least, and maybe DTS.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TeriHatcher.g...
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:12:01 AM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1c958990cc2f28ac989c0f@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
>
>> > But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate
>> > digital audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does
>> > accept audio via HDMI.
>>
>> Then, it appears your TV actually can "do digital audio", because
>> there are no analog audio signals on an HDMI cable.
>
> Well, the TV doesn't have any separate digital audio inputs. The only
> audio inputs are stereo RCA jacks and the HDMI connector.
>
> If it does digital audio, why doesn't it have any digital audio inputs?

Because they were too cheap to include any? There's no right answer to your
question, but HDMI is only digital audio (originally 2-channel only, later
ammended for multi-channel).

Steve
March 7, 2005 10:11:28 AM

HDMI is replacing DVI

want more taxes, hire a dummycrat

> In article <G0uWd.85$Ue1.79@fe08.lga>,
> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> Can somebody please explain these different inputs. Thanks.
>
> Two things, essentially.
>
> 1. They use different plugs. But there are HDMI to DVI cables, so you
> can connect and HDMI output to a DVI input.
>
> 2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:19:22 PM

> In article <UP-dncSoy6xVG7ffRVn-og@comcast.com>,
> Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > 2. DVI is video only; HDMI is analog audio and video.
> >
> > I think you meant HDMI is digital audio (5.1) and video.
> >
> > HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface. In short, it
> > incorporates DVI video signals and digital audio signals in a smaller
> > connector and adds new capabilities for device communications for
> > auto configuration. www.hdmi.org provides some pr info.
>
> But my TV doesn't do digital audio (there aren't any separate digital
> audio inputs) and doesn't have 5.1 capability, but does accept audio via
> HDMI. So it must be receiving analog audio. I guess HDMI can transmit
> both digital and analog audio. BTW, according to that web site you
> cited, it can transmit up to eight channels of audio, so it appears that
> it can do 6.1 and 7.1 as well as 5.1.

HDMI has no analog audio. It can support up to 8 channels of audio, but it
is all digital. Your set can decode the digital audio if it uses the HDMI
standard, though it may only be able to reproduce a limited number of
channels of audio. Digital audio is embedded with the video in the TMDS
channels. Adding access to other digital audio would add more cost and
switching complexity.

The HDMI pins are as follows:
(TMDS = Transition Minimized Differential Sampling, carries both audio and
video)
(DDC = Data Display Channel)

1 TMDS data 2+
2 TMDS 2 shield
3 TMDS data 2-
4 TMDS data 1+
5 TMDS 1 shield
6 TMDS data 1-
7 TMDS data 0+
8 TMDS 0 shield
9 TMDS data 0-
10 TMDS clock +
11 TMDS clock shield
12 TMDS clock -
13 CEC (Consumer Electronic Control, optional AV link control data)
14 no connection
15 SCL (DDC clock)
16 SDA (DDC data)
17 DDC/CEC gnd
18 +5 volts dc
19 hot plug detect

Leonard
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:19:23 PM

In article <%8%Wd.10925$5T6.6308@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"Leonard Caillouet" <nospam@noway.com> wrote:

> HDMI has no analog audio. It can support up to 8 channels of audio,
> but it is all digital.

Thanks to everyone who set me aright on this. I had thought that
because the set had no stand-alone digital audio inputs that it could
not process any digital audio signal, and therefore HDMI must carry
analog audio.

Obviously, I was wrong. It's not the first time I've been wrong about
something, and probably won't be the last time, either.

(Hmm, did I just violate a usenet rule by acknowledging that I was wrong
about something?)

March 7, 2005 3:31:27 PM

Leonard Caillouet (nospam@noway.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> The HDMI pins are as follows:
> (TMDS = Transition Minimized Differential Sampling, carries both audio and
> video)
> (DDC = Data Display Channel)
>
> [snip 19 pinouts]

Isn't the 19-pin version the DVI-compatible, video-only version, and the
29-pin version the one with audio added? I know the 29-pin version is
necessary for the full 330MHz DVI clock spec, but is that the only
difference?

--
Jeff Rife | "It's amazing the advances the Swedes have made
| in the science of furniture...especially
| considering they have only one known tool."
| -- Tommy Solomon, "3rd Rock from the Sun"
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:47:00 PM

In article <michelle-8F789E.09383107032005@news.west.cox.net>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> (Hmm, did I just violate a usenet rule by acknowledging that I was wrong
> about something?)

There are no rules, but yes it appears feeble. And asking the
above politely only makes matters worse. It would have been much
better to insult one or several of the responders who kindly took
their time to answer.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:08:31 PM

> Leonard Caillouet (nospam@noway.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > The HDMI pins are as follows:
> > (TMDS = Transition Minimized Differential Sampling, carries both audio
and
> > video)
> > (DDC = Data Display Channel)
> >
> > [snip 19 pinouts]
> >

> Isn't the 19-pin version the DVI-compatible, video-only version, and the
> 29-pin version the one with audio added? I know the 29-pin version is
> necessary for the full 330MHz DVI clock spec, but is that the only
> difference?

Both are DVI compatible and cross compatible, though the bandwidth would not
be utilized by an A version destination connected to a B version source.
The B version uses dual TMDS links to get the 330Mhz. I don't know of other
differences offhand. The audio is on both, multiplexed in with the video.
DVI works the same way, a dual link is an option to get the higher bandwidth
by adding the extra TMDS channels.

You can download or review the standard at

www.hdmi.org

Pins for the B version appear to have 9 more lines for data and one more NC:

1 TMDS Data2+
2 TMDS Data2 Shield
3 TMDS Data2-
4 TMDS Data1+
5 TMDS Data1 Shield
6 TMDS Data1-
7 TMDS Data0+
8 TMDS Data0 Shield
9 TMDS Data0-
10 TMDS Clock+
11 TMDS Clock Shield
12 TMDS Clock-
13 TMDS Data5+
14 TMDS Data5 Shield
15 TMDS Data5-
16 TMDS Data4+
17 TMDS Data4 Shield
18 TMDS Data4-
19 TMDS Data3+
20 TMDS Data3 Shield
21 TMDS Data3-
22 CEC
23 Reserved (N.C. on device)
24 Reserved (N.C. on device)
25 SCL 26 SDA
27 DDC/CEC Ground 28 +5V Power
29 Hot Plug Detect

Leonard
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:49:59 PM

Why would a TV have digital audio INPUTS? Aside from HDMI whcih includes
digital audio, I have never seen a TV with digital audio inputs.

--Dan

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> Well, the TV doesn't have any separate digital audio inputs. The only
> audio inputs are stereo RCA jacks and the HDMI connector.
>
> If it does digital audio, why doesn't it have any digital audio inputs?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:16:46 PM

If your tv is connected to a home theater system, would it make sense to
connect HDMI from the cable box to the tv? I would assume that you would
connect just a video cable from the cable box to the tv and a separate
digital audio cable from the cable box to the home theater receiver.

!