Can I remove this user?

June 26, 2005 4:34:30 AM

I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?

I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
only user with the name of "HP Display".

I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.

So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
running fine.

Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
software on the computer?

Thanks

More about : remove user

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:28:11 AM

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
> I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up
> and running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?

If everything is working, sure..
Personally though - I don't see the problem with leaving the user after
removing all the files you need from it and changing the password to
something 14+ characters long. Did you get taken on the size of the hard
drive or something?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Backup everything to do with that user (somewhere else on the system) - then
leave it for a week or two. If no problems crop up, then it's --probably--
safe to delete it.

Personally, I'd just burn it to a CD and save the CD until you remember to
throw it out!

"shepard97504@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

June 26, 2005 11:01:51 AM

Hi,

Sure, just copy off what you need from it first.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:56:06 PM

You bought a display model? Was it connected to the internet for customers
to "play around with"? If so, I would wipe everything and start clean. You
have NO idea as to what may be loaded on that computer at the moment!

All it takes is a floppy disk or memory stick, and about 10 seconds of time,
to install a key logger!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:34:31 PM

No, the hard drive is plenty big enough for my use - 100Gb, so I could
leave it. I just like the idea of getting rid of the other user. My
concern was that because everything was originally set up with that
user as the only user, if I just delete it and the folders for it in
Douments and Settings etc. I might somehow cause problems.

Regarding the post below about a key logger or something. Is this
really a concern? I don't know how those things work, but will have to
look into it. In the store, you were not able to connect to the
internet without a password, but who knows how many times a sales
person entered it for customers looking at the computer.