Can I remove this user?

I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?

I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
only user with the name of "HP Display".

I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.

So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
running fine.

Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
software on the computer?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about remove user

    shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
    >
    > I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
    > only user with the name of "HP Display".
    >
    > I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
    > that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
    > I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
    >
    > So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up
    > and running fine.
    >
    > Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
    > since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
    > software on the computer?

    If everything is working, sure..
    Personally though - I don't see the problem with leaving the user after
    removing all the files you need from it and changing the password to
    something 14+ characters long. Did you get taken on the size of the hard
    drive or something?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Backup everything to do with that user (somewhere else on the system) - then
    leave it for a week or two. If no problems crop up, then it's --probably--
    safe to delete it.

    Personally, I'd just burn it to a CD and save the CD until you remember to
    throw it out!

    "shepard97504@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
    >
    > I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
    > only user with the name of "HP Display".
    >
    > I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
    > that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
    > I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
    >
    > So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
    > running fine.
    >
    > Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
    > since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
    > software on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Sure, just copy off what you need from it first.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
    >
    > I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
    > only user with the name of "HP Display".
    >
    > I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
    > that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
    > I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
    >
    > So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
    > running fine.
    >
    > Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
    > since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
    > software on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks

    You bought a display model? Was it connected to the internet for customers
    to "play around with"? If so, I would wipe everything and start clean. You
    have NO idea as to what may be loaded on that computer at the moment!

    All it takes is a floppy disk or memory stick, and about 10 seconds of time,
    to install a key logger!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    <shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
    >
    > I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
    > only user with the name of "HP Display".
    >
    > I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
    > that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
    > I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
    >
    > So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
    > running fine.
    >
    > Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
    > since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
    > software on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks

    No, the hard drive is plenty big enough for my use - 100Gb, so I could
    leave it. I just like the idea of getting rid of the other user. My
    concern was that because everything was originally set up with that
    user as the only user, if I just delete it and the folders for it in
    Douments and Settings etc. I might somehow cause problems.

    Regarding the post below about a key logger or something. Is this
    really a concern? I don't know how those things work, but will have to
    look into it. In the store, you were not able to connect to the
    internet without a password, but who knows how many times a sales
    person entered it for customers looking at the computer.

    > If everything is working, sure..
    > Personally though - I don't see the problem with leaving the user after
    > removing all the files you need from it and changing the password to
    > something 14+ characters long. Did you get taken on the size of the hard
    > drive or something?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP