Can I remove this user?

I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?

I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
only user with the name of "HP Display".

I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.

So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
running fine.

Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
software on the computer?

Thanks

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
> I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up
> and running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?

If everything is working, sure..
Personally though - I don't see the problem with leaving the user after
removing all the files you need from it and changing the password to
something 14+ characters long. Did you get taken on the size of the hard
drive or something?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Backup everything to do with that user (somewhere else on the system) - then
leave it for a week or two. If no problems crop up, then it's --probably--
safe to delete it.

Personally, I'd just burn it to a CD and save the CD until you remember to
throw it out!

"shepard97504@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Sure, just copy off what you need from it first.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

You bought a display model? Was it connected to the internet for customers
to "play around with"? If so, I would wipe everything and start clean. You
have NO idea as to what may be loaded on that computer at the moment!

All it takes is a floppy disk or memory stick, and about 10 seconds of time,
to install a key logger!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can safely delete the original user of my laptop?
>
> I bought the display model HP Laptop. The store apparently set up the
> only user with the name of "HP Display".
>
> I originally just changed the name on the user account, but noticed
> that this did not change any of the folder names etc. on the C drive.
> I could not change these folder names as they were system folders.
>
> So.... I created a new user account for myself. That is all set up and
> running fine.
>
> Can I delete the "HP Display" account? Or will this cause trouble
> since it was the original user account used to set up most of the
> software on the computer?
>
> Thanks

No, the hard drive is plenty big enough for my use - 100Gb, so I could
leave it. I just like the idea of getting rid of the other user. My
concern was that because everything was originally set up with that
user as the only user, if I just delete it and the folders for it in
Douments and Settings etc. I might somehow cause problems.

Regarding the post below about a key logger or something. Is this
really a concern? I don't know how those things work, but will have to
look into it. In the store, you were not able to connect to the
internet without a password, but who knows how many times a sales
person entered it for customers looking at the computer.