Need a wireless router, please help?

darcyhart

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
hey i am getting a laptop and want wire free internet, i do not really know what type of router i need as ive heard there are some for phone lines and others for cable? i havnt got a clue whats going on, if you could please guide me in picking a wireless router out then that would be great! my ISP is NTL:/Virgin Media, could you please tell me why and how in picking out a W. router please. thanks v much, cheers!
ps. i dont want to buy the one that NTL might supply and i need the router to also connect to my desktop
incase you need to know, i have a normal NTL modem right now.
thanks again :D

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Since you are asking general, here is the general answer. Depends!

Different Perspectives:

Security: you'll want the one with WPA2 security (means WPA2 Personal) or at least WPA. You don't want the ones with WEP; TKIP is a little better but falls in same category as WEP. If you get WPA2 router, you also need WPA2 (personal) capable WiFi card.

Range: for SoHo models, they won't indicate this: the more power (measured in dBi) the better signal receptions/transmission. What you can do is to look for the one with multiple antennas (I don't own one but guessing), hoping that it will do better reception.

Brand: Its hard since I don't own any SoHo models but I do know that LinkSys "Business Class" models are always better but expensive. If you care about putting more work into it, buy Cisco models. For pure access point, try AIR-AP1232AG-A-K9 (in this case, you'll need additional wired router to hook this AP to). For combined with wired side, try Cisco 871W models. You can get them on ebay.

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I took one point back: unless you are technically comfortable, don't buy Cisco devices. It will be more trouble and frustrations for you.

G

I think you are, being admittedly not experienced, a little unwise to reject the Virgin supplied wireless router which should be set up to work with their service straight out of the box -- and be supported by them.

I believe the Virgin routers are a Netgear model with customised firmware -- there's nothing wrong with Netgear as a brand in my experience.

darcyhart

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I think you are, being admittedly not experienced, a little unwise to reject the Virgin supplied wireless router which should be set up to work with their service straight out of the box -- and be supported by them.

I believe the Virgin routers are a Netgear model with customised firmware -- there's nothing wrong with Netgear as a brand in my experience.

hey, i bought a netgear in the end, i just wanted to go for something a lil better, made sure its compatible and should work with my laptop when lappy turns up, cheers guys!