Sign in with
Your question

my fps are soooo low and i dont know why

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2007 2:13:12 PM

Hi guys when i first bought my pc i only really bought it to play online games. (mostly counter strike source)
It was working so well with only 1gigbit of memeroy and a radion 9600 pro graphics card along with a 3.2 processor!!!!!
Anyways over the past year where iam getting better at the game i strated to add better equipment to my pc !!!
i now have a 2 gigbit memeroy and a nvidea gforce 7800gs graphics card the same 3.2 processor and now instead of 2mg broadband i have 10mg broadband!!!
The problem is i cant seem to get my pfs above 25-30 and cant understand why not as before they were 40+ with older equipment!!!!
I have downloaded all the updates for graphics card but still seem to have no answer and as i love playing this game so much i have to play with minimal players so i dont frame out it is really starting to get on my man boobs!!1

PLZ if any of yous can help me on this i would really much be thank full i will put on here what my systerm has and see if any one can pinpoint the problem!!!!

Manufacturer: GBT___
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Hard Drive: 81 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Audio [A000]
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

More about : fps soooo low dont

July 4, 2007 2:50:51 PM

have you cleaned out the old ati drivers?

is your psu good enough for 7800GS?
July 4, 2007 2:58:21 PM

First thing, when you added more ram, was it the exact same specs that you had before? If not, the ram will default to the pair with the worst performance. Second, if you were running a 2x512 set and added another 2x512 set of ram, you dropped from 1T to 2T on the ram setting, thus slowing the ram.

Third, did you completely clean the ATI drivers from the system? If not, you might have a conflict going which slows everything down.

After that, remember to defrag the hard disc if you haven't already done so. Ok, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet this morning and that's all I can think of at the moment. Others may have something more usefull.
Related resources
July 4, 2007 3:48:30 PM

:? By chance did you turn up the graphics settings in your game? Either way, you could try turning the graphics down.
July 4, 2007 4:01:15 PM

ok well iam abit of a noob at all this i tried to download ati 5.1 last night from a link but it said that i already have one !!!! So i was thinking maby i still have old drivers on if so how do i get rid of them ???????
July 4, 2007 4:14:00 PM

Open the "Control Panel", then open "Add or Remove" programs. Look through the list for any ATI driver programs and remove them. Since you wrote that you tried to download ATI 5.1 and you were told that you already have them, that indicates that you still have them on the machine and that's a source of conflict that can slow everything way down. Basically, get rid of ATI drivers, hydravison, and everything else attached to the ATI card. Then your new Nvidia card should run better.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2007 5:05:03 PM

I would suggest:
(1). Download and run Run "ATI Cat-uninstaller" This does a better job of removing ATI drivers than using usoft remove program.

(2) after doing that, and a reboot, Then open Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager. Under Display Adaptors, Verify No ATI drivers.
July 4, 2007 5:29:33 PM

hey, just a thought, but maybe you turned your 'AA' setting on. I know that tends to limit the fps.
July 4, 2007 5:44:42 PM

If I'm reading this correctly You replaced your ATI card with an Nvidia and then updated your ATI Catalyst drivers and wonder why you new card is not performing.

If my understanding is correct then your problem is you have the wrong drivers. You should have the Nvidia drivers.
July 4, 2007 5:49:27 PM

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly You replaced your ATI card with an Nvidia and then updated your ATI Catalyst drivers and wonder why you new card is not performing.

If my understanding is correct then your problem is you have the wrong drivers. You should have the Nvidia drivers.

lol :oops:  and to think none of us even considered that!
lol
July 4, 2007 5:54:12 PM

Actually, I did tell the OP twice to get rid of the ATI drivers, all of them, and this would include Catalyst drivers.
July 4, 2007 6:06:35 PM

and so you did! sorry about that i guess JustJack's comment read a bit more obvious. :lol: 
July 4, 2007 7:19:23 PM

Quote:
and so you did! sorry about that i guess JustJack's comment read a bit more obvious. :lol: 

oi that was the first thing i said :p 

on a side note to the OP: you could also use driver cleaner pro to get rid of any old drivers and files associated with ATI.
July 5, 2007 12:40:27 PM

SH*T! sorry to you as well blade, and i'll take the chance to apologize to anyone else who also mentioned this before JustJack (even if it wasn't as clear to ME).
There that should settle it :oops: 
July 5, 2007 1:29:49 PM

Quote:
SH*T! sorry to you as well blade, and i'll take the chance to apologize to anyone else who also mentioned this before JustJack (even if it wasn't as clear to ME).
There that should settle it :oops: 

hahaha :lol: 

any who

to the OP: any results yet???
July 5, 2007 1:44:01 PM

having a go at it now dont think i have ati but another unknown program running like ati so gona remove that and add ati 5.1 and see whats happens fingers crossed :twisted: :twisted:
July 5, 2007 1:45:18 PM

no no....

your card is nvidia isnt it???

you need nvidia drivers not ati.
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2007 2:01:56 PM

This is getting interesting 8O :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
July 5, 2007 2:03:01 PM

yeh my card is nvidea i have no ati cards on my pc hence why i couldnt find it just nvidea and i have installed all the latest driver for it?????
just dont seem to be getting much luck sorting this problem
July 5, 2007 2:04:50 PM

is there any sort of program i can get free anywhere that i can download and it auto scans my pc and sort this problem for me cause iam a real noob at this sort of thing???
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2007 2:10:55 PM

Start menu, Control Panel, Add remove programs, look down the list and when you see anything that says "ATI", click on the program in the list, a menu will apear on right hand side with the button "Remove". Click that and it will uninstall/remove the software. Do this with everything in the list that says "ATI" on it. Then.....reboot and install the Nvidia software and drivers for your Nvidia card.
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2007 2:13:02 PM

Quote:
is there any sort of program i can get free anywhere that i can download and it auto scans my pc and sort this problem for me cause iam a real noob at this sort of thing???
OK, go here http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp , and download your drivers , then your card gforce7 series, and finally xp operating system. There you have it
July 5, 2007 2:13:32 PM

Same thing he said, get the latest Nvidia drivers from this link

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

just choose ur graphics card & ur OS and u r ready to play CS.

- btw, I'm a real good CS:S playa too :twisted:

- EDIT: lol, u guys beat me to it.
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2007 2:16:41 PM

Quote:
Start menu, Control Panel, Add remove programs, look down the list and when you see anything that says "ATI", click on the program in the list, a menu will apear on right hand side with the button "Remove". Click that and it will uninstall/remove the software. Do this with everything in the list that says "ATI" on it. Then.....reboot and install the Nvidia software and drivers for your Nvidia card.
Do this before anything, then install new drivers as per my last post. Just click on it, itll do the rest
July 5, 2007 2:21:33 PM

Quote:

This is almost exactly what I suggested above.

At the same time, it seems the OP is determined to installed the ATI 5.1 drivers, so until he gets it that ATI drivers don't belong on a Nvidia based card, nothing else will matter.
July 5, 2007 2:56:39 PM

right ok guys i didnt have any ati drivers on me pc to start with so i have unistalled my old driver from nvidea and replace it and have just played for about 20minutes or so on a 25 slot server and seemed alot better so at this point i say thanks for the help you guys have given me i know how frustrating it can be to try and help someone like me who has no idea how to sort these problem out!!!!
and hopefully it will start to run alot smoother now but only time will tell!
also iam thinking of buying a new pc and would be very greatfull if anyone could post in here a good pc that i could use for counterstrike source of course without being tooo expensive thanks alot guys
July 5, 2007 3:10:19 PM

well if all else fails, a fresh install of windows wont hurt...it will just take some time to update everything again.
July 5, 2007 3:39:43 PM

I hope he made sure he installed the Nvidia drivers and not the ATI. :?
July 5, 2007 3:52:10 PM

Reinstall your OS.
And are you playing CS.S? You should know that there is a version of CS.S that makes you computer struggle with it because it has crappy optimization.
!