A Questions about Longhorns' applications

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc.docview,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,
I wonder, Will Microsoft Windows Longhorn application will be .Net only, I
mean the office, the internet explorer 7 etc. is written on .NET + c#
language or still MFC ?

The office 2003 applications and internet explorer 6.0 are MFC based rather
than c#, aren't they ?

Thanks for the information,
Janiv Ratson.
4 answers Last reply
More about questions longhorns applications
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc.docview,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I wouldn't expect any change in code base at all.

    Why do a major rewrite? What is the benefit?

    "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I wonder, Will Microsoft Windows Longhorn application will be .Net only, I
    > mean the office, the internet explorer 7 etc. is written on .NET + c#
    > language or still MFC ?
    >
    > The office 2003 applications and internet explorer 6.0 are MFC based
    > rather
    > than c#, aren't they ?
    >
    > Thanks for the information,
    > Janiv Ratson.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc.docview,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    So you believe that Microsoft will keep developing most of her products
    (office, IE etc) in MFC ?
    I thought it will be easier and more competible to longhorn if they develop
    it on C# (.NET).

    Till when will Microsoft keep developing on MFC ?

    Thanks,
    Janiv Ratson.

    "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
    > I wouldn't expect any change in code base at all.
    >
    > Why do a major rewrite? What is the benefit?
    >
    > "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I wonder, Will Microsoft Windows Longhorn application will be .Net only,
    > > mean the office, the internet explorer 7 etc. is written on .NET + c#
    > > language or still MFC ?
    > >
    > > The office 2003 applications and internet explorer 6.0 are MFC based
    > > rather
    > > than c#, aren't they ?
    > >
    > > Thanks for the information,
    > > Janiv Ratson.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc.docview,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Actually, I don't believe that MS develops IE or Office using MFC, and I
    don't think they'll be using .NET either. My guess is that they use VC
    and/or VC++ for all of it, but probably not linking with MFC routines,
    nor using .NET framework. Why does it matter to you?

    In article <useW0zjeFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, janiv@aoe6.net
    says...
    > Hello,
    > I wonder, Will Microsoft Windows Longhorn application will be .Net only, I
    > mean the office, the internet explorer 7 etc. is written on .NET + c#
    > language or still MFC ?
    >
    > The office 2003 applications and internet explorer 6.0 are MFC based rather
    > than c#, aren't they ?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc.docview,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I juts wonder.
    I want my product to be compatible to Microsoft.
    Usually, I fit the look & feel of my products to Microsoft's.

    Thanks.

    "Scot T Brennecke" <ScotBspamhater@MVPs.org> wrote in message
    > Actually, I don't believe that MS develops IE or Office using MFC, and I
    > don't think they'll be using .NET either. My guess is that they use VC
    > and/or VC++ for all of it, but probably not linking with MFC routines,
    > nor using .NET framework. Why does it matter to you?
    >
    > In article <useW0zjeFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, janiv@aoe6.net
    > says...
    > > Hello,
    > > I wonder, Will Microsoft Windows Longhorn application will be .Net only,
    > > mean the office, the internet explorer 7 etc. is written on .NET + c#
    > > language or still MFC ?
    > >
    > > The office 2003 applications and internet explorer 6.0 are MFC based
    rather
    > > than c#, aren't they ?

Microsoft Office IE6 Windows XP