Sign in with
Your question

USRobotics 100Mbps Wireless?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 12, 2004 7:52:26 PM

I was checking out the USRobotics site last night and I noticed that they're selling 100Mbps wireless networking adapters. These are wireless, not Fast Ethernet. I'm guessing that these are new. Has anyone heard of these, tried them, etc.?
February 12, 2004 8:57:29 PM

can you post a link?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
Related resources
February 13, 2004 12:43:30 AM

OK, here's the fine print at the bottom:

<pre>* Capable of data throughput rates equivalent to 100 Mbps performance. Actual performance may vary depending on operating environment and distance between networked computers.
† Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) will be supported upon ratification.

</pre><p>

It's basically 802.11g. I guess with some fancy compression they can bump up the speed some.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
February 13, 2004 4:25:28 AM

All wi-fi cards have that disclaimer. They have to since the performance decreases with range and with obstacles in between. It also says, "100 Mbps products are completely compatible with all 11 Mbps, 22 Mbps 802.11b, and 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless standard products." This implies that their 100Mbps cards are considered a new class of product that are compatible with the 802.11g standard. It could be they're full of crap, but that's what they say. That's why I asked if anyone has tried these cards. :) 
February 13, 2004 1:26:14 PM

I'd go with "they're full of crap"

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
February 13, 2004 8:20:32 PM

Here's how it works. You have a channel with 802.11b or g. This channel is 22 Mhz wide. Channels for American AP's go from 1 (2.612 Ghz) to 11 (2.483 Ghz). To "double" the bandwidth Mfgs like USR, DLink and Netgear use channel bonding. Using two frequency bases (channels) from both AP and client you can effectively double the signalling rate. They also do use compression but the bulk of the performance increase is channel bonding. Now, neither of these two techniques actually double but the combo of the two can yield some pretty impressive numbers. DLinks, with variances mind you, can scare 50 Mbps if your client/AP association is pure (read perfect conditions). The downside. Interference. Your using twice as much of the spectrum that is already being abused badly by every Tom Dick and Harry with an 802.11b AP or AP/Router combo. The harmonics are also a bit distorted which can cause a variation of issues. It can work but it isn't a perfect solution. Broadcom is working on a single channel solution that, they say, is yielding 70 Mbps sustained in their labs. That is a big step. You'll all be running 100+ Mbps (actual throughput capabilities) radios within the next 5 years.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
April 16, 2004 9:45:20 PM

I'd like some real-world feedback. I did come across a review of the WAP end of it that wasn't too encouraging, though. It's here on Tom's, someplace, I think. It says that there's no significant speed increase with ANY of the manufacturers who claim the higher speeds. The USR setup is the worst, though, because the WAP takes >20 minutes< to switch back to full speed after any 802.11b clients leave the connection. The rest recover to full speed in a minute or so.
However, that review wasn't current in the past month, so firmware may have fixed that by now.

Quote:
=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====

April 20, 2004 2:50:56 PM

Also, since the "Turbo" mode is not in any standard (11g goes up to 54Mbps) the solution is manufacturer dependent. So if you have a Robotics "Turbo" AP there is a very good chance that you won't be able to use a d-link "Turbo" card at 100 Mbps with it.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
!