Need to reinstall Windows XP.....is it ok to buy a disk off of ebay?

True Colors

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I have a six year old dell. The old installation of Windows XP is damaged beyond repair so I will have to reinstall it.

I have the dell serial number, service tag number, and most of the other relevant information. I even have the original Windows XP license key number printed on a label on the side of my computer.

However, the one thing that I do not have is the Windows XP installation disk.

What is the best way to resolve this? I have seen Windows XP disks for sale on ebay and craigs list. Can I purchase one of those and install it on my old computer? If I do that should I get a new license key from them or do I use my old one.

Help please........ thanks!!

TC

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Get an OEM disc. It should work with your key. Badge, what are you talking about? So, if the OP lost his disc or it got scratched so it wouldn't read anymore, are you saying the OP couldn't do anything?!?

The key is just a license that the user bought a copy and is licensing it for one machine. Just buy an OEM disc and use the key on the Dell. Same thing if he lost his recovery discs. I've been told this works and there's no reason to think otherwise.

BTW, I don't like you calling me out like this. Just say what you want to say. It is not necessary to say 'what are you talking about' like I am saying something wrong. Take a break.

Ignore Canuck1. He has not a clue what He is spewing on about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/239727-45-home-wont-work-home

You have been told. Delete this post please.