Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Update version 6

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered that
a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic changes,
but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.

A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home page
to get the various critical/security patches.

More about : windows update version

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:55:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message news:uWVsrZleFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
> hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
> installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered that
> a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic changes,
> but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
>
> A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
> Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
> their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
> happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home page
> to get the various critical/security patches.
>
>
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:08:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ah. So this is out of beta now?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:usJ8S8leFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
news:uWVsrZleFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
> hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
> installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
> that
> a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
> changes,
> but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
>
> A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
> Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
> their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
> happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
> page
> to get the various critical/security patches.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:usJ8S8leFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....


I went to that link and manually installed Microsoft Updates. I
suppose it would have been automatically installed on my computer
eventually.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

AFAIK Microsoft Update is optional and will not be installed unless someone
deliberately installs it.
On the other hand V6 eventually will be used by all Windows XP computers and
that update can be automatic.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
news:%232tSxGmeFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:usJ8S8leFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....
>
>
> I went to that link and manually installed Microsoft Updates. I
> suppose it would have been automatically installed on my computer
> eventually.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes, its out of beta :-) And as Jupiter pointed out, its a manual choice, not automatic. You can also go Change Settings and turn it back off, if needed.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message news:o mEagDmeFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Ah. So this is out of beta now?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:usJ8S8leFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
> news:uWVsrZleFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
>> hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
>> installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
>> that
>> a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
>> changes,
>> but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
>>
>> A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
>> Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
>> their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
>> happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
>> page
>> to get the various critical/security patches.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:29:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

For those that have installed Microsoft Updates....

I have noticed that when I open Internet Explorer, click Tools and
scroll down, Windows Update is still listed. Is that the same for the rest
of you? Clicking on that link still opens Microsoft Updates.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:05:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

Isn't there a listing for Office in the left hand column?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
news:uWVsrZleFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
> hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
> installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
> that a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
> changes, but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely
> slow.
>
> A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
> Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
> their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
> happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
> page to get the various critical/security patches.
>
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:05:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> Hi
>
> Isn't there a listing for Office in the left hand column?
>

Not on my computer, but there is a tab that says..."Office Family" that
takes you to the Office home page where you can get updates.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:18:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:29:43 -0400, History Fan wrote:

> For those that have installed Microsoft Updates....
>
> I have noticed that when I open Internet Explorer, click Tools and
> scroll down, Windows Update is still listed. Is that the same for the rest
> of you? Clicking on that link still opens Microsoft Updates.

Seeing the same thing here and also arrive at "Microsoft Updates." That's
fine with me since I opted in for Microsoft Updates vs Windows Updates.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:36:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

After I choose either 'Express or 'Custom' an entry for Office 2003 can be
seen in the left hand column. I then have to click on that to get any
Updates. Can you see an entry for 'Microsoft Update' when you click on the
Start button?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
news:u4xjSrleFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> Isn't there a listing for Office in the left hand column?
>>
>
> Not on my computer, but there is a tab that says..."Office Family"
> that takes you to the Office home page where you can get updates.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:36:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23d0X4xleFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> After I choose either 'Express or 'Custom' an entry for Office 2003 can be
> seen in the left hand column. I then have to click on that to get any
> Updates. Can you see an entry for 'Microsoft Update' when you click on
> the Start button?
>

No, mine still says Windows Update.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Apparently Microsoft Updates doesn't check for Office updates
pre-2002, because when I installed Excel 2000, it found no patches/security
updates. Yet when I visited the Microsoft Office homepage and used their
update engine, a huge chunk of files was located.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:04:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You are correct.
This link gives more details on exactly what is updated:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateserv...

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"History Fan" <Unknowntome@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:eNYBL8yeFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Apparently Microsoft Updates doesn't check for Office updates
> pre-2002, because when I installed Excel 2000, it found no
> patches/security updates. Yet when I visited the Microsoft Office
> homepage and used their update engine, a huge chunk of files was located.
!