Windows Update version 6

I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered that
a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic changes,
but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.

A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home page
to get the various critical/security patches.
14 answers Last reply
More about windows update version

    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message news:uWVsrZleFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
    > hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
    > installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered that
    > a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic changes,
    > but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
    >
    > A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
    > Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
    > their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
    > happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home page
    > to get the various critical/security patches.

    Ah. So this is out of beta now?

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
    > hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
    > installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
    > that
    > a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
    > changes,
    > but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
    >
    > A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
    > Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
    > their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
    > happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
    > page
    > to get the various critical/security patches.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    I went to that link and manually installed Microsoft Updates. I
    suppose it would have been automatically installed on my computer
    eventually.

    AFAIK Microsoft Update is optional and will not be installed unless someone
    deliberately installs it.
    On the other hand V6 eventually will be used by all Windows XP computers and
    that update can be automatic.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >

    > I went to that link and manually installed Microsoft Updates. I
    > suppose it would have been automatically installed on my computer
    > eventually.

    Yes, its out of beta :-) And as Jupiter pointed out, its a manual choice, not automatic. You can also go Change Settings and turn it back off, if needed.

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message news:OmEagDmeFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Ah. So this is out of beta now?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
    >> hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
    >> installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
    >> that
    >> a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
    >> changes,
    >> but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely slow.
    >>
    >> A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
    >> Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
    >> their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
    >> happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
    >> page
    >> to get the various critical/security patches.

    For those that have installed Microsoft Updates....

    I have noticed that when I open Internet Explorer, click Tools and
    scroll down, Windows Update is still listed. Is that the same for the rest
    of you? Clicking on that link still opens Microsoft Updates.

    Hi

    Isn't there a listing for Office in the left hand column?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. Yesterday, I formatted my
    > hard drive and reinstalled everything (always a fun chore.) After
    > installing my ethernet driver, I went to Windows Update and discovered
    > that a new version was installed, version 6. It has some minor cosmetic
    > changes, but nothing dramatic. I noticed that downloads were extremely
    > slow.
    >
    > A few months ago, Microsoft announced they were going to replace
    > Windows Update with Microsoft Update, which would incorporate updates for
    > their operating systems AND Office products. But that apparently hasn't
    > happened yet because I still needed to visit the Microsoft Office home
    > page to get the various critical/security patches.

    > Hi
    >
    > Isn't there a listing for Office in the left hand column?

    Not on my computer, but there is a tab that says..."Office Family" that
    takes you to the Office home page where you can get updates.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:29:43 -0400, History Fan wrote:

    > For those that have installed Microsoft Updates....
    >
    > I have noticed that when I open Internet Explorer, click Tools and
    > scroll down, Windows Update is still listed. Is that the same for the rest
    > of you? Clicking on that link still opens Microsoft Updates.

    Seeing the same thing here and also arrive at "Microsoft Updates." That's
    fine with me since I opted in for Microsoft Updates vs Windows Updates.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi

    After I choose either 'Express or 'Custom' an entry for Office 2003 can be
    seen in the left hand column. I then have to click on that to get any
    Updates. Can you see an entry for 'Microsoft Update' when you click on the
    Start button?

    --

    > Hi
    >
    > After I choose either 'Express or 'Custom' an entry for Office 2003 can be
    > seen in the left hand column. I then have to click on that to get any
    > Updates. Can you see an entry for 'Microsoft Update' when you click on
    > the Start button?

    No, mine still says Windows Update.

    The new service can be reached at http://update.microsoft.com
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Apparently Microsoft Updates doesn't check for Office updates
    pre-2002, because when I installed Excel 2000, it found no patches/security
    updates. Yet when I visited the Microsoft Office homepage and used their
    update engine, a huge chunk of files was located.

    You are correct.
    This link gives more details on exactly what is updated:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/evaluation/compare.mspx

    --

    "History Fan" <Unknowntome@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently Microsoft Updates doesn't check for Office updates
    > pre-2002, because when I installed Excel 2000, it found no
    > patches/security updates. Yet when I visited the Microsoft Office
    > homepage and used their update engine, a huge chunk of files was located.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP