HELP OUT A CANADIAN KID! (thank you)

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
First off, i would like to thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

I know this is kinda funny but i live in Vancouver and it gets pretty hot out with my room on fire by the end of the day. So with the room @ 26*C i turn on my pc and the cpu idles @ 46-50*C with an AC7pro. this temp is what i get @ stock speeds with my E6600 undervolted @ 1.23V. My case is an Antec Sonata 2 with 2 120mm fans and the stock 92mm intel fan at the pci slots. my suggestion is should i replace the cooler with this
scythe ninja revB
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21163&vpn=SCNJ-1100P&manufacture=Scythe

or should i get a new case

antec 900
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21123&vpn=NINE%20HUNDRED&manufacture=ANTEC

which one would yeild better results?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Don't bother man. Its 33 in my room right now, temps idling around 40. Anything below 60 is fine, for your sake get an air conditioner, but money spent on a new HS wont matter one way or the other for you. Lower ambient will help the most as your cooler is plenty good for what you're doing with it.

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Wow.. heat problems in Vancouver, that's a new one :) We get what, 2 weeks of direct sunshine the entire year? Heh.

I also wouldn't bother with a new case or cooler. If you have any airflow obstructions in your case (ie bad wiring etc) clean those up, maybe recheck how you AC7 is sitting on the CPU / how much thermal paste you used, etc.

Other than that.. bear with it for the next two weeks it'll be back to rain soon enough!

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
IMO i think that the 900 would be more beneficial in your case as throwing more money on somthing thats already good is pointless. if you dont get me, let me explain. ive read reviews on that cooler and i think that its an awesome cooler and that you shouldnt need anything else, so, if your buying another "better" cooler, where would all the hot air from that one go? nowhere. youd be stuck on square one again, where if, you get the 900 it should improve airflow thus possibly lowering your temp by a degress or so.

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Don't bother man. Its 33 in my room right now, temps idling around 40. Anything below 60 is fine, for your sake get an air conditioner, but money spent on a new HS wont matter one way or the other for you. Lower ambient will help the most as your cooler is plenty good for what you're doing with it.

I second this. I don't know my room temperature, but my machine was idling at ~42. Got a small 5000btu air conditioner for ~$100CAD at the almighty wal-mart and my machine now idles at ~32. So it made a HUGE difference. Mind you that i did put the AC in the window right beside my machine (didn't get temps this low in the winter! lol).

EDIT: oh yeah i thought i'd mention it's on stock cooling.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Where do you live in Vancouver? I live in vancouver and my room temp is only 20*C. There's sunlight in my computer room from 7:30am in the morning to 7:30pm and the temperature never exeed 25*C.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
n00bs!!!! i lived in sub Saharan Africa for over 10yrs, and i overclocked the biatche out of my old p4, no special coolers (well excluding the table fan of course), anything <35degC is not reason enough to iBitch about it!!!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, I live in The Coq and my computer room has been in the mid 20s the past few days. I think its supposed to cool down this weekend though and your temps don't sound too bad, if anything just stop by Home Depot and pick up one of the $99 air conditioners.

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Where do you live in Vancouver? I live in vancouver and my room temp is only 20*C. There's sunlight in my computer room from 7:30am in the morning to 7:30pm and the temperature never exeed 25*C.

i live in richmond (close enough to vancouver) and it gets pretty hot out here by steveston. it's funny TAT my temps are low but pc probe my temps are high

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I live in Burnaby on top of a mountain, not Burnaby Mountain but the mountain directly facing it. The temp gets down to about 18"C in the evening and no more than 22"C in the afternoon today. I guess global warming hasn't affect Burnaby yet.

So many GVRD users in Tom's forum. Did you know that Vancouver has the greatest number of facebook users in the world? I guess is that there are more computer users in Vancouver than anywhere in the world.

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
actually i live in toronto. Summers do get pretty hot here tho. I had to toss up between ac and heat sink for budget purposes. so i just got the ac i figured i would benefit from it as well as the computer, worked out well :D :D

EDIT: just corrected some redundancies in my writing :oops:

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
thanks for the replies wow how do u live in toronto heard there's a heat wave comming soon. anyways can someone shed some light on howcome temps in asus pc probe read higher than TAT?

bh626pro

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I bet you temps are wrong.

How are you measuring your temps? What mobo do you have? Try using Speedfan and Coretemp to check core temps. Your CPU or Case temp has to be lower (7-10C) than the cores.

Do you have PECI enabled in BIOS? If not, you may get erroneous readings. PECI sends the digital temp data from the chip.

Keep in mind, the BIOS gets the case temps wrong quite often...