Need advice: Orthos fails at default speeds

hesido

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
GO Orthos Beta fails on the Blend cpu-ram test on avarage 15mins, with a miscalculated result error (system does not hang), a value is not being returned as expected.

Other tests seem go for about an hour before I manually stop them (I can't wait longer while I know the first test fails on the 15th min)

All at default speeds

My 'stupid' rig is:
P5W DH
e6600 with stock cooling
2x1gig corsair 800mhz ram
sapphire x1900gt with zalman vf900 cooling
420watts thermaltake silent psu

I downloaded Orthos *after* I realised my rig was not stable at even at 2.8ghz (3dmark cpu bench crash). This, though, without any voltage increase. I was just fooling around whether it was possible to get a 400mhz increase without any serious bios setting changes, I had the impression many can do 3.0ghz without touching anything else but the fsb.

I *did* sometimes have windows hanging very random, but very very seldom, all before I even attempted a single mhz OC.

idle temps (as reported by speedfan)
cpu:35
core0:50 core1:50
MB:44
load (orthos running after about fifteen mins before failing)
cpu: 49
core0:63 core1:63
MB: I forgot, will edit later :=)
edit start
Orthos gave an error at the third min with MB still at 44 degrees, but I am reading the Vcore as 1.14!!!!! I am guessing it should be no less than 1.30 but the Vcore fluctuates from 1.14,1.16 to 1.31, when idling! This may well be my problem...
edit end

edit2
The vcore seems stable under load. sigh.
edit2 end

Now, do you think I have a bad cpu, or bad ram, or MB,or PSU????. What is the simplest thing to do to check these without having to try another cpu or other sticks of ram (don't have many friends with core2 cpus or 800mhz ram sticks around, and it's not that I would ask if anyone had) .. Can failing orthos at default speeds be a reason to use my cpu's warranty to replace the cpu? (mind you I have never upped the voltage, and never tried fsb OC beyond 300mhz)

Any input is appreciated.. Thanks..

edit3
Origin of the problem spotted: It's the RAM not working correctly at default voltages and its intended RAM speed/timings. I underclocked the RAM and upped the voltage slightly and so far things are OK. I'll try adding more voltage to run at its intended speeds.
edit3 end

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
cpu:35
core0:50 core1:50
MB:44
load (orthos running after about fifteen mins before failing)
cpu: 49
core0:63 core1:63
MB: I forgot, will edit later :=)

From these temp readings it looks like you're interpreting speedfan incorrectly. "Core0" and "Core1" are your actual CPU temps. I have no idea what you're reading as your "cpu" and "MB" temps. Speedfan only reports the other temps as "temp1", "temp2", etc. Those are usually the MB or ambient case temps. I suggest you look up some referrence about Speedfan and your particular mobo to figure out exactly which temps are which.

Now, about your instability problems it looks like a voltage issue. Default voltage for C2D should be about 1.3V. Your 1.14 vcore is just far too low, and I'll be that's what's causing you problems. Try bumping up vcore a bit at a time (watch your temps though! bumping up voltages increases temps like mad). I suggest you do to things:

1) Check your heatsink for proper thermal contact and proper thermal paste spreading. Your idle temps are a bit too high, even for stock cooling.

2) Bump up your vcore a bit at a time while watching your temps. Run orthos to see if your system is stable.

hesido

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks partEleven..

I just realized that vCore does *not* fluctuate under load. I guess it is some power saving setting like EIST? The vcore is at about 1.31 during load. So now I am tempted to believe this is not a vcore issue.

I'll disable EIST nonetheless, and maybe bump up vcore like you say.

About the temps, I remember reading on forums about tjunction etc etc (3 sensors on core2duo). so the 'cpu' temp should typically be 15 degrees less than the cores, and that 60C under load is normal for the cores. Am I wrong?? (The ambient is also a bit hot nowadays, but would it be a reason to fail at default speeds?!!

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
My vcore doesn't fluctuate under load either, but it dipped below 1.3V before I bumped up the voltage a bit. Try bumping up yours and seeing if that works. Maybe your particular chip needs more volts. 60C at load is warm, but not anything to be alarmed about. It's just from my experience that a 50C idle will lead to temp problems when you put the CPU under stress, because the temps will rise to above safe levels. That and the fact that you're reading speedfan wrong has me worried about your temps.

cd_rom

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I was skim reading this thread and i wonder if you disabled the stepdown or soemthing like "cool and quiet" in AMD (sorry, i cant remember what it is and i m in a rush!).

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
You said you have 2 gigs of corsair. I'm betting that you need to bump your memory voltage for stability. For example Corsair c4 memory at 800mhz needs 2.1 volts but default would be 1.8. Even their c5 800mhz memory needs 1.9v. Check what speed, timings and voltage your memory is running at.

hesido

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Origin of the problem spotted: The ram-sticks.

@cd_rom: yes, I did, I disabled speedstep :)

@PartEleven: My reference for the temps was:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

Currently there is a heat-wave and the ambient temp is nuts at any given time :)

@NO1sFanboy: It turns out you are right, the problem indeed seems to have been the RAM. I underclocked the ram to 667mhz and upped the RAM voltage to 1.9 (the default was I guess 1.8) and Prime95 ran for 2 hours without problems. Overall performance does not seem to be much affected from underclocking but I'll try upping the voltage to 2.0 or 2.1 like you say and see what happens at the mems rated speed (my mem sticks are reportedly C5 at 400mhz)

The funny part is, while I bought the memory as pc-6400, when RAM speed was set to auto in bios, the motherboard took the memory as pc-5300. I was manually making it pc-6400. CPU-Z does report it as pc-6400 on its info page. Anyway, my motherboard was doing the right thing!

It's noteable, that when everything was set at its 'advertised' speed, prime95 (or orthos) was not stable. When everything was set to auto, things were OK (ram works at 333mhz, then)

Thanks a lot for all the valuable information. I'll post again if something crops up again!