New ATI CCC does it have a spy ware file?

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I just noticed that after installing the new CCC a MOM.EXE has shown up on my computer..
I did a Google search and found out this is a spy ware exe.
Just to make sure, I deleted the CCC and the MOM.EXE was not there then reappeared after I installed it again.
Anyone know if this file is safe and why ATI would name a file after a spy ware file?

Thanks in advance..

My laptop (which I am using now) has an ATI card, but not the newest CCC. It does not have the MOM.exe, so if it is really linked to the CCC, it is a new addition. I do have a Desktop with an ATI card (and the newest CCC) and I will try to check it later.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
well mom.exe is there in the new ones. its just supposed to make ccc load faster and make it less system demanding. but i didnt like the whole thing, so i deleted ccc

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I just researched and a few forums have said that they contacted ATI and they said to revert back to 7.1 untill they figure out what it is, so I'm going back to 7.1 drivers and CCC.

Ugghhh!

Please read more than just google before posting such stuff.

MOM.exe is a normal part of the Catalyst pack, it's for monitor detection and a few other functions to speed up start up (before you were advised to disable automatic detection to achieve similar speed).

Here's the Rage3D thread that first covered it;

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1334815766#post1334815766

The majority of the mom.exe posts out there now are related to an april fool's joke.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the clarification...I was kinda wondering too...It's hard nowadays to distinguish real facts or not in the Internet.

Btw, I was kinda busy lately...didn't know you became a mod too, like comptia_rep n turpit. Congrats

Yeah this has come up here before, and it's just annoying to see it come up again and spread again, it's almost as bad as chain e-mail spam claiming this and that are spyware and to delete them, and then people wonder why their computers won't boot now that they've delete a system file. :roll:

Anywhoo, better safe than sorry, but hate adding to the pile of these threads already out there.

And thanks for the Kudos.

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Sorry TheGreatGrapeApe , but I don't live and breath in this forum, so I'm sorry if it has been discussed. I did a seach on tomsharware and found nothing that helped..
IMO it's inexcusable for a company to use the same file name as a spy ware file..
I am not a noob, and just because you are mod now don't give you the right to degrade other members with the chip on your shoulder.
This is a serious mistake by ATI, and in no way should the be defended, after all they told consumers to revert back to 7.1..
Your rudness was uncalled for, but I guess that goes with promotions..
I've always enjoyed your insight, but to flame me for a spy ware concern was stupid on your part..
ban me if you want...

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
IMO it's inexcusable for a company to use the same file name as a spy ware file..

You don't think the heuristics in your anti-virus/spyware don't ever give a false postitive? Fact is you shouldn't blindly trust your AV, in recent months there was an issue with Symantec CE deleting windows system files becuase its heuristics decided they were a virus... All of this leads to the fact you should think before you do anything. For example, would ATI have more to gain or lose from installing spyware on your system?

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I wasn't here to get into a flame war over a video card, owning an x1900xt 512 shows where my money goes..
I'm sure they have R&D not to name files that are know spy ware files.
One guy said he had credit card fraud the day after installing 7.2 ccc.
Like I said I did a tomshardware search on the matter and found nothing, then get flamed for asking a question.
EA's new game has built in spy ware in it, so whats stopping other internet companies from streching the limits.
Every day on here people talk about the same vid cards 24/7 and never get flamed...
Sorry I just feel like a whipping boy for a legit topic...

Sorry TheGreatGrapeApe , but I don't live and breath in this forum, so I'm sorry if it has been discussed. I did a seach on tomsharware and found nothing that helped..

That's fine, still lotsa info on google though if you spent as much time researching as creating the original post. Like Kamel mentions, more time on your part to actually think about the situation instead of being paranoid and yelling 'fire' / 'spyware' right off the bat.

IMO it's inexcusable for a company to use the same file name as a spy ware file.

How about it being inexuseable for a spyware firm to use the name of another app. How many 3 letter combinations do you think are out there, and do you really think this is the first time something has been call MOM? :roll:

I am not a noob, and just because you are mod now don't give you the right to degrade other members with the chip on your shoulder.

Has nothing to do with being a mod, I would've written exactly what I wrote if I weren't. You expect that because I am a mod I should treat you differently, that would be a n00b mistake.

This is a serious mistake by ATI, and in no way should the be defended, after all they told consumers to revert back to 7.1..

No they didn't, but the April Fool's joke says they did.

Your rudness was uncalled for, but I guess that goes with promotions..

Nah, hasn't changed, my rudness is because of your ignorance, and becoming a mod is not a 'promotion' it's so threads like this can be deleted once they've run their course to avoid perpetuating such stuff. Had the mods at those other sites done the same it would've deleted the April Fool's reference that gets regurgitated over and over.

I've always enjoyed your insight, but to flame me for a spy ware concern was stupid on your part..
ban me if you want...

Why would I ban you? I don't really care about hurt feelings, obviously you do, but my intention is pretty simple; squash the rumour-mongering before it perpetuates the cycle again. A little intensive research instead of posting this thread would've been the wiser choice. And had you actually contacted ATi they would tell you no one has suggested rolling back to 7.1, not even in February, 5 months ago, when it first appeared.

Like I said I did a tomshardware search on the matter and found nothing, then get flamed for asking a question.

You didn't get flamed for asking you got flamed for adding the inflamatory reactionary paranoia spreading the BS from the April Fool's day forum floods with re-quoting stuff like this;
"One guy said he had credit card fraud the day after installing 7.2 ccc."

You know what, after you install the intel X3000 driver updates you get a phone call from someone who says your ystem will die in 7 days. :roll:

Nvidia drivers will steal your bicycle, SIS drivers will molest your cat, Via drivers will eat your lunch, and XGi drivers.... well they are actually pretty bad.

Your second sentence got you flamed, and ask anyone else if that wouldn't get them flamed in any other number of forums. Asking a question is fine, stating that something is spyware is libel. So if you feel slighted, that's fine, but at least I didn't resort to libel to do it.