Mouse Pointer Bacame Uncontrollable

Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly all over
the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no improvement.
Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help with any idea!
Thanks.

Mark Shell wrote:
> Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly
> all over the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no
> improvement. Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help
> with any idea! Thanks.

Wireless or wired mouse? Wireless - change the batteries..
Is it USB or PS/2? If USB, have you tried plugging it into a different USB
port?
If USB - is it plugged directly into the computer or into the keyboard/other
USB hub - plug it directly into the computer.
Is it optical? Have you cleaned the mousepad/area it is used on?
Have you tried a different mouse?
Have you removed the drivers and installed the latest drivers from the
manufacturer web page?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks Shenan! I will go step by step using your isntructions. Thank you so
much!! -- Mark

sharkman

I found that happening to my optical mouse and someone here advised to
change the mousepad to a light colored one. I was using a black pad and it
seems that the mouse works harder on the dark pad. I switched to a light
colored pad and the mouse stopped moving around the screen uncontrollably.