Mouse Pointer Bacame Uncontrollable

Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly all over
the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no improvement.
Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help with any idea!
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about mouse pointer bacame uncontrollable

    Mark Shell wrote:
    > Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly
    > all over the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no
    > improvement. Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help
    > with any idea! Thanks.

    Wireless or wired mouse? Wireless - change the batteries..
    Is it USB or PS/2? If USB, have you tried plugging it into a different USB
    port?
    If USB - is it plugged directly into the computer or into the keyboard/other
    USB hub - plug it directly into the computer.
    Is it optical? Have you cleaned the mousepad/area it is used on?
    Have you tried a different mouse?
    Have you removed the drivers and installed the latest drivers from the
    manufacturer web page?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks Shenan! I will go step by step using your isntructions. Thank you so
    much!! -- Mark

    I found that happening to my optical mouse and someone here advised to
    change the mousepad to a light colored one. I was using a black pad and it
    seems that the mouse works harder on the dark pad. I switched to a light
    colored pad and the mouse stopped moving around the screen uncontrollably.
    --

    Mark Shell wrote:
    > Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly
    > all over the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no
    > improvement. Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help
    > with any idea! Thanks.

Mice Pointer Microsoft Windows XP