Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

q6600,ram question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 4, 2007 11:21:50 PM

my new computer gonna be

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor -

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -

Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.10

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard -

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply

Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I want to overclock my q6600 cpu to 3.0 some one told me that if i get ddr2 1100 (PC2 8800)ram is going to better for to overclock the cpu and get more perforamnce,lowering the ddr2 1100 speed to 800 going to give me lot of perforamnce is this true?

More about : q6600 ram question

July 6, 2007 2:15:35 PM

Faster memory from good firm may give better overclocking, before buying check OC reviews of every quality memory you can get to be sure.

On the side note, if you want better everyday performance (in Vista, sooner or later we'll all have to switch..) and not just cool OC numbers for short time, get 4GB of memory. This will give you more fps in games than extra few MHz with 2GB.

P.S. Check OC guide for more juicy info:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/HOWTO-Overclock...
Related resources
July 6, 2007 6:49:13 PM

Quote:
Faster memory from good firm may give better overclocking, before buying check OC reviews of every quality memory you can get to be sure.

On the side note, if you want better everyday performance (in Vista, sooner or later we'll all have to switch..) and not just cool OC numbers for short time, get 4GB of memory. This will give you more fps in games than extra few MHz with 2GB.

P.S. Check OC guide for more juicy info:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/HOWTO-Overclock...


Well right now i am sticking window xp atleast for 1-2 year then i will think about upgrading to window vista and additional 2gb ram upgrade.

Basically there is no advantage for ddr2 1100 (PC2 8800) as i see. You can't get better performance if overclock ur ram to 800 from 1100 cause you will better of using an regular ddr 800 (PC2 6400) model overclock at 667= 333 mhz FBS, I believe there is no point of increasing the FSB TO 400ghz or higher cause u wont get any better performance on q6600

you can see here in this thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
July 6, 2007 8:00:43 PM

So you can hit 3.0 GHz in a number of ways like I wrote about in that post you referenced (9x333, 8x375, 7x428). As you saw, my tests showed slim to no differences in performance. If you're clocking the DRAM @ 667 there's no reason to get anything faster than DDR2-667 unless you wanna push it to 800. Don't waste your money on anything higher in my opinion. Just be sure your DDR2-667 or 800 has quick timings like 4-4-4-12 and you'll be happy.
July 6, 2007 9:41:08 PM

Quote:
So you can hit 3.0 GHz in a number of ways like I wrote about in that post you referenced (9x333, 8x375, 7x428). As you saw, my tests showed slim to no differences in performance. If you're clocking the DRAM @ 667 there's no reason to get anything faster than DDR2-667 unless you wanna push it to 800. Don't waste your money on anything higher in my opinion. Just be sure your DDR2-667 or 800 has quick timings like 4-4-4-12 and you'll be happy.
allright thx for confirming that apperciated :D 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which one u choose between this both 800 model and has 4-4-4-12 timeing
July 6, 2007 10:23:11 PM

I have the Ballistix and love them. CUrrently running @ 667 @ 2.10 V and 4-4-4-12-4-20-10-10-10-11
July 6, 2007 10:38:55 PM

how do you plan to cool the q6600? get some water if you want to hit 3ghz.
July 6, 2007 10:57:40 PM

Quote:
how do you plan to cool the q6600? get some water if you want to hit 3ghz.
thermal 120 extreme hs
July 7, 2007 12:29:00 AM

You can hit 3.0 pretty easily with a lapped CPU and HS (u-120 ex is what I have). Depending on room temp, my load temps are under 65 °C @ 9x333 @ 1.2625 V in the summer.
July 7, 2007 2:40:22 AM

Quote:
You can hit 3.0 pretty easily with a lapped CPU and HS (u-120 ex is what I have). Depending on room temp, my load temps are under 65 °C @ 9x333 @ 1.2625 V in the summer.
I dont want to lapped hs cause i heard it voids your warranty and its my first time building a new computer lol but I'm able to hit 3.0 with ultra extreme 120 or tuniq tower under 50 degree on load right?
July 7, 2007 10:08:02 AM

Quote:
I dont want to lapped hs cause i heard it voids your warranty and its my first time building a new computer lol but I'm able to hit 3.0 with ultra extreme 120 or tuniq tower under 50 degree on load right?


Warranty on a HS???? Bah, either the heat pipes are good or they aren't; it's just a chunk of metal. You can argue that lapping has nothing to do with the heat pipes should one fail in the future.

The CPU on the other hand... that is more relevant, but I'll argue that as long as you keep your vcore and temps within specs, it will be fine. Try it unlapped for a few weeks, odds are if it isn't DOA, or fails in a few weeks, it'll be fine. Also, overclocking voids your warranty on the CPU.

To your last question: no. Have a look at my system before during and after lapping:

Lapping HS
Lapping Q6600

Here is a graphic from those threads:



As you can see, with both piece "unlapped" my 9x333 temps were in the 60s.
July 12, 2007 1:14:12 PM

I really fail to comprehend why we should even need to lap the HSF, the reason for these coolers is the bets possible performance...yet it seems evident that the ppl who designed them failed to actually do thier job properly.
!