Sata 2 windows install problem

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Hey just bought a western digital 500gb drive and plugged it in and it's recognised in the bios fine and everything. When i install windows It picks up the sata drive as the D: and when it restarts to load windows it gives me an error message, is this because windows can only be installed on C?

If so how can I tell the bios to make the sata drive the c and the ide drive which is set as a slave to be the d. I don't want to install anything on the 300 gig ide as it's for storage and currently has some stuff i want on it.

I'm using a slipstream install of windows pro with sp2 from april. The sata drive isn't picked up initially but if i just press enter it finds the drive and lets me format and install etc.

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
There is probably a BIOS setting that you are overlooking. Usually I find that the opposite happens to me... The PC always wants to boot off SATA first and not IDE. If you temporarily unplug the IDE drive during installation windows should only see 1 drive available and then plug the IDE back in after you install windows. If it still trys to boot off the IDE drive then there is usually a BOOT Order setting in the BIOS, or a boot menu to manually choose what drive to boot off of.

sturm

Splendid
Etomasula is right. Unplug the ide drive until after windows is installed. Make sure the sata drive is set to boot first in the bios. If possible disable/remove any ide boot options.

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Aye I figured that out eventually, couldn't check the forums as my laptop died in the same instant which was great. I just unplugged the ide drive and then popped it back in after which seemed to work a treat. Now I have to reinstall everything, tis most annoying.