xp says it cant find my hdd

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
June 26, 2005 1:34:01 PM

I am trying to intall a new hard drive and load my xp os on. my cd is
launching ok and it is going into set up mode but will not go any further cos
windows is not detecting my new hdd although this is showing in dos and in
the bios - please help very frustrating
--
captain thank you

More about : find hdd

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:50:53 PM

is the hard drive jumpers set correctly? if you are simply replacing one old
drive with another the jumpers need to be set at Master or cable select.
If you are keeping two drives in your pc you may have your new one set as
slave instead of master.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"foss" <foss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to intall a new hard drive and load my xp os on. my cd is
> launching ok and it is going into set up mode but will not go any further
> cos
> windows is not detecting my new hdd although this is showing in dos and in
> the bios - please help very frustrating
> --
> captain thank you
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:50:54 PM

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> is the hard drive jumpers set correctly? if you are simply replacing
> one old drive with another the jumpers need to be set at Master or
> cable select. If you are keeping two drives in your pc you may have your
> new one
> set as slave instead of master.

Does it require any special drivers for Windows - ie: Press F6 to install
drivers at the begining of the Windows XP setup and install controller
drivers..?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

And does your new hd require third party drivers, loaded from floppy during
the setup process? eg a sata drive

!