Where to get restore for XP

Sports fans,

My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
software. Where can I get it?

Thanks,

bv

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Bill Voight wrote:
> Sports fans,
>
> My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
> edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
> actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
> box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
> software. Where can I get it?

Contact the computer's manufacturer.

Microsoft requires its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to
provide a means of returning the computer to its original, ex-factory
state. The particular method of recovery, however, is left entirely to
the discretion of each individual computer manufacturer.

Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft
by providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state,
whether it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not
legally obliged to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale.
Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do
provide a full OEM installation CD, that does permit custom
installations and repairs. However, many uncaring OEMs, such as
eMachines, Compaq, HP, and Sony, in an effort to save pennies and reduce
their support costs by having to hire support people that need only say
"Boot from the Recovery CD to return your PC to its original condition,"
provide only a CD bearing a disk image of the hard drive as it left the
factory.

Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Microsoft shouldn't allow OEM computer manufactures to do this in the first
place.You should be provided with a full copy of the OS.Or is it another
attempt by Microsoft to curtail piracy? (Having the paying customer pretty
much screwed in the end)

> Bill Voight wrote:
>> Sports fans,
>>
>> My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
>> edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
>> actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
>> box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
>> software. Where can I get it?
>>

> Contact the computer's manufacturer.
>
> Microsoft requires its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to provide
> a means of returning the computer to its original, ex-factory state. The
> particular method of recovery, however, is left entirely to the discretion
> of each individual computer manufacturer.
>
> Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft by
> providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state, whether
> it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not legally obliged
> to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale. Reputable,
> customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do provide a full OEM
> installation CD, that does permit custom installations and repairs.
> However, many uncaring OEMs, such as eMachines, Compaq, HP, and Sony, in
> an effort to save pennies and reduce their support costs by having to hire
> support people that need only say "Boot from the Recovery CD to return
> your PC to its original condition," provide only a CD bearing a disk image
> of the hard drive as it left the factory.
>
> Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Bill,
1. The seller/manufacturer should have given you a Recovery/Restore CD with
COA sticker on PC, need to contact them for a replacement, many like Dell
would not do this after the initial 30 day warranty.

2. There might be a Recovery/Restore partition on the HDD, you should be
able to run the recovery/retore from there. Many manufacturer have been
doing it this way such as Compaq/HP. Dell has started doing this with some
of their home models, but sometimes if you contact them within 30 days of
purchase, they may send you the Recovery/Restore CD.

3. Also if the XP box came with a CD Burner, you should be able to create a
recovery/restore CD. Be aware that you get one chance in many cases to this.
If it fails, you will need to get technical help from the PC manufacturer.

*** For those planning to change the drive partitions on the PC's HDD,
either right out of the box, or later on, make sure that you make the
backup restore/recovery CD first before making changes. ***

4. You may need to purchase a new retail copy of XP. And then go the PC
manufacturer's website; get all the drivers for the hardware on your PC,
especially laptops. In some cases, Windows XP generic drivers will not work
on specific laptops/notebooks.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

Carey,

Thanks for the answer. I have restored some of the stuff I need already.

As an aside, newsgroups are an incredible source of info. I'm a UNIX
engineer (mostly Solaris) and the unix groups work much the same way-
there's always somebody with the answer.

Anyway, have a good one. I owe you a chilled beverage if you're ever in
the DC area.

BV

Technical Ecstasy wrote:
> Microsoft shouldn't allow OEM computer manufactures to do this in the first
> place.You should be provided with a full copy of the OS.Or is it another
> attempt by Microsoft to curtail piracy? (Having the paying customer pretty
> much screwed in the end)
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>
>>Bill Voight wrote:
>>
>>>Sports fans,
>>>
>>>My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
>>>edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
>>>actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
>>>box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
>>>software. Where can I get it?
>>>

>>Contact the computer's manufacturer.
>>
>> Microsoft requires its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to provide
>>a means of returning the computer to its original, ex-factory state. The
>>particular method of recovery, however, is left entirely to the discretion
>>of each individual computer manufacturer.
>>
>> Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft by
>>providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state, whether
>>it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not legally obliged
>>to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale. Reputable,
>>customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do provide a full OEM
>>installation CD, that does permit custom installations and repairs.
>>However, many uncaring OEMs, such as eMachines, Compaq, HP, and Sony, in
>>an effort to save pennies and reduce their support costs by having to hire
>>support people that need only say "Boot from the Recovery CD to return
>>your PC to its original condition," provide only a CD bearing a disk image
>>of the hard drive as it left the factory.
>>
>> Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."
>>
>>--
>>
>>Bruce Chambers
>>
>>Help us help you:
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>>both at once. - RAH

Microsoft- screwing the customer? Say it ain't so!

Technical Ecstasy wrote:

> Microsoft shouldn't allow OEM computer manufactures to do this in the first
> place.You should be provided with a full copy of the OS.Or is it another
> attempt by Microsoft to curtail piracy? (Having the paying customer pretty
> much screwed in the end)
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>
>>Bill Voight wrote:
>>
>>>Sports fans,
>>>
>>>My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
>>>edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
>>>actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
>>>box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
>>>software. Where can I get it?
>>>

>>Contact the computer's manufacturer.
>>
>> Microsoft requires its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to provide
>>a means of returning the computer to its original, ex-factory state. The
>>particular method of recovery, however, is left entirely to the discretion
>>of each individual computer manufacturer.
>>
>> Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft by
>>providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state, whether
>>it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not legally obliged
>>to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale. Reputable,
>>customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do provide a full OEM
>>installation CD, that does permit custom installations and repairs.
>>However, many uncaring OEMs, such as eMachines, Compaq, HP, and Sony, in
>>an effort to save pennies and reduce their support costs by having to hire
>>support people that need only say "Boot from the Recovery CD to return
>>your PC to its original condition," provide only a CD bearing a disk image
>>of the hard drive as it left the factory.
>>
>> Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."
>>
>>--
>>
>>Bruce Chambers
>>
>>Help us help you:
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>>both at once. - RAH

More likely the lack of restore CDs is motivated by OEMs trying to prop
up their paid "Customer Support" revenue. Hard drive dies: have to buy
replacement drive from computer manufacturer to get new restore
partition. Accedently destroy restore partition on hard drive: have to
buy restore CD from manufacturer. If ANY hardware problem inside the
case causes problem you might even have to ship the thing back because
there are "no consumer serviceable parts inside", thus the manufacturer
makes some revenue from labor charges in addition to the revenue from
parts sales. Your computer might even end up in a pool of units to be
serviced while you get back a another system that has been "factory
refurbished".

Fortunately many localy owned custom builders supply a generic OEM
installation CD and the driver CDs that come with the OEM companents the
computer is built with.

I clearly stated both are to blame, that is what Corporate America refers
to. You are too stupid to understand that analogy. You are the one who is
shallow , an obtuse, thick headed moron who is to shallow to comprehend an
idea too far from your own views.
You are also so unreasonable that you end an argument that you clearly lost
with a stupid question that you don't even want an answer for, so it can't
be disputed, so with no one to argue with, you can always have the last word
and think that you have won. But that is to be expected because that is what
ignorant people do.

Technical Ecstasy wrote:
> Microsoft shouldn't allow OEM computer manufactures to do this in the first
> place.

Microsoft cannot dictate how another company conducts its business or
treats its customers, though.

> You should be provided with a full copy of the OS.

I agree, but the decision isn't mine. And reputable OEMs do provide a
full installation CDs. It's only the lower-end manufacturers who scrimp.

> Or is it another
> attempt by Microsoft to curtail piracy? (Having the paying customer pretty
> much screwed in the end)

No, this decision (i.e., the means of restoring the OS) is left
entirely up to the computer manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Technical Ecstasy wrote:
> Did you even read my post? What I was implying and thought was pretty clear
> was that the OEM computer manufactures

> and Microsoft

...... has nothing to do with it.

> are screwing me by not
> giving me a "full' copy of the OS that I paid for.

But you didn't pay for a full copy of the OS. You paid for that
specific OEM's recovery method. This was your choice, made when you
made the purchase decision.

> OEM manufactures are
> saving a few penny's per cd by only providing "restore disks" and

> Microsoft thinks it is cutting down on piracy by *allowing* the OEM's to do this.

Again, Microsoft has nothing to do with this decision. Because
Microsoft really isn't a true monopoly, it cannot dictate how the OEMs
do business.

> So what. Supply a separate disk with drivers.

Again, reputable OEMs do this. Bargain-basement companies don't. You
get what you pay for. If you choose to buy from a cheap OEM, you need
to be prepared to get less.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Yes XP does have a restore utility . SystemRestore as per Windows ME.
(same idea anyway).
Probably under System Utilities or Accessories on the Start Menu, or under
Control Panel.

"Bill Voight" <bvoight@patriot.net> wrote in message
> Sports fans,
>
> My Win 2K box died, I replaced it with a unit w/preinstalled XP home
> edition. The XP has no backup/restore utility (believe it or not, I
> actually have a recent backup of my Win 2K box). Since the replacement
> box did not come w/an XP CD I have no way to install the backup/restore
> software. Where can I get it?
>
> Thanks,
>

> bv

In
Andrew Murray <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> typed:

> Yes XP does have a restore utility . SystemRestore as per
> Windows
> ME. (same idea anyway).
> Probably under System Utilities or Accessories on the Start
> Menu, or
> under Control Panel.

No, System Restore will not help him at all. System Restore can
only restore Restore Points that it has made (and those back up
only the system, not any data etc.)

He wants to restore Backups made in Windows 2000--another thing
entirely. WIndows XP comes with a backup/restore facility called
NTBackup. This is installed automatically on XP Professional, but
not on XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup
on the CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.
If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

Please reply to the newsgroup