Sign in with
Your question

Help with Pagefile (Where to put it) & Drive setup

Last response: in Storage
July 5, 2007 4:00:34 AM

Ok so ive just done a reformat and reinstall in the hope i can squeeze another year out of my dinosaur before having to buy new. The computer is setup as follows:

Primary Master: 120gb HDD
Primary Slave: NONE
Secondary Master: DVD-RW Drive
Secondary Slave: 30gb HDD

The Primary Master HDD is split into 2 equal partitions (C: & D:)  :

C: will have all the programs installed on it and nothing else.
D: is empty atm.

The Secondary Slave HDD is just 1 partition (F:)  and has a fixed pagefile of 1536mb (i have 1gb memory)

So questions are:

1) Are the drives physically set up right for performance (i.e. their location on the IDE channels)?

2) Should i have the fixed pagefile on the F: like i do or should it be somewhere else?

Thank you!
July 5, 2007 4:19:41 AM

Where in hell did you dig up a 32 GB drive??? :lol: 

(As to your setup, should work as planned.)

OK, back to the 32gb drive... what OS are you using? NT4 SP5??? Win 95??? win me???:lol: 
July 5, 2007 4:34:29 AM

Quote:
Ok so ive just done a reformat and reinstall in the hope i can squeeze another year out of my dinosaur before having to buy new. The computer is setup as follows:

Primary Master: 120gb HDD
Primary Slave: NONE
Secondary Master: DVD-RW Drive
Secondary Slave: 30gb HDD

The Primary Master HDD is split into 2 equal partitions (C: & D:)  :

C: will have all the programs installed on it and nothing else.
D: is empty atm.

The Secondary Slave HDD is just 1 partition (F:)  and has a fixed pagefile of 1536mb (i have 1gb memory)

So questions are:

1) Are the drives physically set up right for performance (i.e. their location on the IDE channels)?

2) Should i have the fixed pagefile on the F: like i do or should it be somewhere else?

Thank you!

Can't speak for anyone else ,of course,but myself I put the page file in it's own little partition,,because 1.I'm really lazy,,AND ,,2 DO not want to suffer another performance hit as a result of fragmentation of said file,,..Windoze
needz no help in SNAFUing the primary partition,it does quite well by it's self
each time one turns the system on,,thank you,..
Offhand I would suggest that you make your 30g hdd your secondary slave
and your cd/dvd a master on the secondary ide?? by it's self,,,nb:,on most mobo's the primary is ide 100ata,but not always so for the secondary ide
,,depends upon mobo/chipset,generally one does not slave a hdd behind a dvd/cd,also if both hdd's are on the same connector it will slightly speed up
data transfer between the two,slightly,again depends upon mobo/chipset etc,,,,.:) 
Related resources
July 5, 2007 4:50:17 AM

Quote:

Can't speak for anyone else ,of course,but myself I put the page file in it's own little partition,,because 1.I'm really lazy,,AND ,,2 DO not want to suffer another performance hit as a result of fragmentation of said file,,..Windoze
and your cd/dvd a master on the secondary ide?? by it's self,,,nb:,on most mobo's the primary is ide 100ata,but not always so for the secondary ide
,,depends upon mobo/chipset,generally one does not slave a hdd behind a dvd/cd,also if both hdd's are on the same connector it will slightly speed up
data transfer between the two,slightly,again depends upon mobo/chipset etc,,,,.:) 

Really? I was under the impression that having 2 hdd's on 1 controller slowed down transfer times as they both had to fight for the resources on that single controller. Hence the only reason i put the 2nd hdd on the secondary so it would speed things up.... Can anyone else confirm that i am wrong and if so ill swap the 32gb hdd over to the primary slave asap.

LOL @ Croc, the 32gb HDD was the original hdd the computer came with back in year 2000. I use it for music storage and page file etc...
July 5, 2007 5:23:52 AM

Quote:

Really? I was under the impression that having 2 hdd's on 1 controller slowed down transfer times as they both had to fight for the resources on that single controller. Hence the only reason i put the 2nd hdd on the secondary so it would speed things up.... Can anyone else confirm that i am wrong and if so ill swap the 32gb hdd over to the primary slave asap.

LOL @ Croc, the 32gb HDD was the original hdd the computer came with back in year 2000. I use it for music storage and page file etc...

A lot of this depends on the ide controller, etc. Way too many variables to work out withour knowning more exact details.

About the only thing that I'd do would be to get the mfg's diagnostics software and test your drives for integrity.

You have two ide channels, OS on one and DVD / 2nd drive on the other. (forget the master / slave bs...) As long as you don't try to copy from DVD to 2nd drive, I see no issues. However, if the above is not the case... Well, might as well put your pagefile on your OS drive.

But your OP says to the effect that you just want to keep the dinosaur alive.... What you've proposed will do it.
!