rparker

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hello,
I have been having motherboard issues recently, so I got a new motherboard. I am putting it in a Gateway pc that came preinstalled with a OEM vista (still have the re installation disk), and I am wondering if I can use my oem license for vista home premium that I already have when I have to re-install vista?

I need to know if this will work on my pc, the last thing I want is to find out that I cant use vista on my new motherboard.

I am going from a ECS mobo to a Asus mobo if that is important.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
An OEM licence is not transferable, Microsoft considers a new motherboard a new pc.
The question is a licence issue rather then if you can use Vista.
How it would effect the instalation depends if you have a Microsoft OEM disk or a Gateway disk with drivers and other stuff on it.
If it's a Microsoft OEM disk, you could try installing it and any additional drivers required for the Asus board from the driver disk.
You can the phone Microsoft for activation and explain that you had to replace the faulty board and they may issue you with a new key.

rparker

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
The disk I have says looks like its a MS OEM disk, it reads:

Gateway
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Operating System Disc

It looks like its a reinstallation disc. Would I be able to use this to install vista, then call MS to get a new reg key?