JVC C-DILA Opinions?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
March 8, 2005 2:51:36 PM

After much research, the JVC HD52Z575 is at the top of my list.

I chose this over the Samsung HL-P4674W because:

1. It is 6" bigger
2. It is about $500 less
3. It is immune to rainbows

The predominant opinion of the JVC is that is has poorer black levels
than DLP. However, to my eyes, the picture is fantastic.

Anyone have an opinion on the JVC C-DILA, either to confirm my choice
or point out some disadvantages that I may not be aware of?

--
Dave

More about : jvc dila opinions

March 8, 2005 3:40:09 PM

"DaveR" <NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote in message
> After much research, the JVC HD52Z575 is at the top of my list.
>
> I chose this over the Samsung HL-P4674W because:
>
> 1. It is 6" bigger
> 2. It is about $500 less
> 3. It is immune to rainbows
>
> The predominant opinion of the JVC is that is has poorer black levels
> than DLP. However, to my eyes, the picture is fantastic.
>
> Anyone have an opinion on the JVC C-DILA, either to confirm my choice
> or point out some disadvantages that I may not be aware of?
> Dave

When standing 2' feet away from the 45" Sharp [1080 x 1920] native LCD
display [LC-45GX6U] and your JVC [lowly 1280 x 720], the JVC's pixels looked
_more_ difficult to make out. This must be due to the finer pixel pitch of
the D-ILA. Picture quality on both displays was extremely good.

D-ILA 3-chip displays have a less-fatiguing picture than most DLPs for long
time viewing.

Been using a JVC D-ILA front projector for a long time, so we're biased.
I'd buy one of those new JVC's in heartbeat, but maybe wait till the summer.
Have you seen these discussions at AVS?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H515161AA:
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:57:53 PM

"DaveR" <NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote in message
> After much research, the JVC HD52Z575 is at the top of my list.
>
> I chose this over the Samsung HL-P4674W because:
>
> 1. It is 6" bigger
> 2. It is about $500 less
> 3. It is immune to rainbows
>
> The predominant opinion of the JVC is that is has poorer black levels
> than DLP. However, to my eyes, the picture is fantastic.
>
> Anyone have an opinion on the JVC C-DILA, either to confirm my choice
> or point out some disadvantages that I may not be aware of?

Good pix, but it is a JVC. Check the servicers in your area and be sure
that there is a JVC ASC that has a good working relationship with JVC. JVCs
service network may have some real gaps that other brands don't and they
will provide zero service support unless a shop is one of their ASCs. Very
arrogant company to deal with IME.

Leonard
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:08:04 PM

"DaveR" <NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote

> Anyone have an opinion on the JVC C-DILA, either to confirm my choice
> or point out some disadvantages that I may not be aware of?

Yes, it's at the top of my list too, for many of the same reasons you list.

The only downside is I expect that a lot of the programs I will want to
watch for the foreseeable future will be SD, and the D-ILA is maybe a little
inferior to the Sony LCD with regular broadcast, but I agree it's the class
act with real HD input. I prefer the HD images to everything else, up the
best plasmas, and even those are not clearly better.

I'm not in a rush to buy because they're still in their first year of
production, but with my limited knowledge it seems to be the most promising
technology for micro-display rear projection. I predict it will lead the
field until true large size solid state panels get established. There was a
press announcement about the new sets coming out this year :
http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=1

There will be a 56 inch coming out which appeals to me a little more than
the 52 (the 61 is a bit big for my set-up).
March 9, 2005 2:51:14 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:08:04 -0500, "Dave Gower"
<davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote:

>I'm not in a rush to buy because they're still in their first year of
>production, but with my limited knowledge it seems to be the most promising
>technology for micro-display rear projection.

I feel the same way, but I'm inclined not to wait any longer. The JVC
now has a street price of $2,000. 52" is the biggest set I can
possibly consider for my space. At this size the 1080p sets will not
have any significant effect on picture quality.

I have always told myself that $2,000 is the magic number. At this
price, I can afford to enjoy this TV for a couple of years and then
set up a 80"+ front-projector system in my den for a true home theater
experience :)
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:10:56 PM

DaveR (NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I feel the same way, but I'm inclined not to wait any longer. The JVC
> now has a street price of $2,000. 52" is the biggest set I can
> possibly consider for my space. At this size the 1080p sets will not
> have any significant effect on picture quality.

The one question you need to think about is "will I use a computer to
output to this display?" If so, then, a 1920x1080/60p capable set *will*
have an advantage over a 1280x720/60p set.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/Obedience...
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:34:11 PM

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:08:04 -0500, "Dave Gower"
> <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote:
>
> >I'm not in a rush to buy because they're still in their first year of
> >production, but with my limited knowledge it seems to be the most
promising
> >technology for micro-display rear projection.
>
> I feel the same way, but I'm inclined not to wait any longer. The JVC
> now has a street price of $2,000. 52" is the biggest set I can
> possibly consider for my space. At this size the 1080p sets will not
> have any significant effect on picture quality.
>
> I have always told myself that $2,000 is the magic number. At this
> price, I can afford to enjoy this TV for a couple of years and then
> set up a 80"+ front-projector system in my den for a true home theater
> experience :)

Just an example of the kind of BS that JVC can pull, this was posted on a
list of techs that I subscribe to today. The discussion was regarding a
sensor that will disable the set if the back is removed without following a
specific procedure.

An excerpt from the JVC service manual:

CAUTION AT DISASSEMBLY
Prior to disassembly, unplug the power code (sic) from the AC outlet
without fail. (Turn the power "off".)

Short the SB connector (1) pin and (2) pin of the DIGITAL INPUT MODULE
(At the time of assembling)

Before the rear panel is inserted into the cabinet, release the
short-circuit between the SB connector (1) pin and (2) pin of the
DIGITAL INPUT MODULE.

After releasing the short-circuit between the SB connectors, do not turn
the power on until the rear panel is inserted into the cabinet.

* Negligence in carrying out the above steps may cause the inactivation
of the TV

Along with this was a general discussion of JVC's arrogance and poor service
support, even for ASCs. Be sure that you know where you can get the set
serviced and that they have a good working relationship with JVC before you
buy.

Leonard
March 10, 2005 3:21:33 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:34:11 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>Along with this was a general discussion of JVC's arrogance and poor service
>support, even for ASCs. Be sure that you know where you can get the set
>serviced and that they have a good working relationship with JVC before you
>buy.

How exactly do I find this out?

I assume if I have a problem with the set, I call JVC and they send a
technician. How do I know where the technician comes from? And if I
learn that, how do I find if they have a "good working relationship"
with JVC?

Over on the AVS forum, many people report positive experiences with
JVC service on their D-ILA sets.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:30:06 PM

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:34:11 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Along with this was a general discussion of JVC's arrogance and poor
service
> >support, even for ASCs. Be sure that you know where you can get the set
> >serviced and that they have a good working relationship with JVC before
you
> >buy.
>
> How exactly do I find this out?
>
> I assume if I have a problem with the set, I call JVC and they send a
> technician. How do I know where the technician comes from? And if I
> learn that, how do I find if they have a "good working relationship"
> with JVC?
>
> Over on the AVS forum, many people report positive experiences with
> JVC service on their D-ILA sets.

JVC, like most other companies, does not have its own techs. They use
independent contractors. Call JVC and ask who services their products in
your area or go to their web site and find out. You then call each
authorized service center and ask them if they service JVC currently, how
long they have been doing so, how much of it they do, and if they are happy
with JVC as a company. Ask them if they recommend buying the product or
not. If you can't have this kind of conversation with the servicer, do you
want them in your home if the set breaks?

They quality of service for any manufacturer depends on the support that the
manufacturer provides and the local tech doing the work. Either can be a
problem or mitigate the other to some degree, though a lousy local tech (or
worse, none locally at all) is hard to do much about.

Leonard
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:00:27 AM

I got the 61" last week, and so far, so good! DVDs look great! Beautiful
picture on "I Robot" and "Ray" was just gorgeous! Like being in a theater!
Of course, SD TV looks just okay...and my HDTV is getting installed
Saturday!

If you get one, just be sure to dial down the brightness and contrast! The
factory set mid-level is BRIGHT!

On 3/8/05 8:51 AM, in article INctQu4J3OuXBZA9dTDVz3Tf3TUZ@4ax.com, "DaveR"
<NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote:

> After much research, the JVC HD52Z575 is at the top of my list.
>
> I chose this over the Samsung HL-P4674W because:
>
> 1. It is 6" bigger
> 2. It is about $500 less
> 3. It is immune to rainbows
>
> The predominant opinion of the JVC is that is has poorer black levels
> than DLP. However, to my eyes, the picture is fantastic.
>
> Anyone have an opinion on the JVC C-DILA, either to confirm my choice
> or point out some disadvantages that I may not be aware of?
>

> --
> Dave
March 11, 2005 4:28:35 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:30:06 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>JVC, like most other companies, does not have its own techs. They use
>independent contractors. Call JVC and ask who services their products in
>your area or go to their web site and find out. You then call each
>authorized service center and ask them if they service JVC currently, how
>long they have been doing so, how much of it they do, and if they are happy
>with JVC as a company. Ask them if they recommend buying the product or
>not. If you can't have this kind of conversation with the servicer, do you
>want them in your home if the set breaks?

Well, I searched the website and there are no authorized service
centers near my area. I called the closest ones and they all say that
I am outside of their area. In each case, they were unwilling to let
me speak with a technician, and the person on the phone was not
equipped to answer the above questions.

So if there is no service center in my area, what would JVC do? Would
they force one of these companies to travel 30+ miles against their
will? Would they send a contractor who may not be listed on their
website?
March 13, 2005 6:23:17 PM

Hi,
Recently I had to make a choice between the JVC ILA and a Mitsubishi DLP for
my aunt (I acted as advisor). I chose the Mits and we have been happy with
it. Now, on a bright sunny day with the window open, the picture is somewhat
dim, but I imagine that would be the case with other similar sets. But once
its dark, the picture is superb, the best I've seen.
Roger
p.s. the set we bought is more advanced than the one sold by Best Buy; we
got it at Tweeters. Its a 52" 52725
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id...
!