zackh

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Okay, after getting some help a few days ago I've put together some parts that I want to purchase. I just want to make sure it's a good choice before I go and do it. I've looked over the parts and I'm pretty sure they all work together. The motherboard supports the RAM, I looked it up on the EVGA website. The harddrive isn't very big, but I might end up purchasing a bigger one so don't comment on that. Just give me a general opinion of the build, it's supposed to be a gaming computer that will play all of the newer games and upcoming games with a breeze. I also want it to be able to run Vista in the future when I decide to buy it.

Harddrive - Western Digital 80 GB - Here.

Video Card - EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 mb 320 bit - Here.

Case - Cooler Master Centurion - Here.

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5 GHz - Here.

PSU - Antec True Power Trio 650 watt - Here.

Mobo - EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX - Here.

DVD/CD - Lite-on - Here.

RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2 GB - Here.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Without really knowing your objectives or goals for the PC it is hard to comment. Do you plan to do any OCing, are you a gamer, do you do any video editing, do you upgrade frequently, how long must your system last before you can afford to do any upgrading or a rebuild. Some of these items will help us to figure out if your selections are best for your goals. Me personally, I would invest in the quad core Q6600, seems to be a solid chip, fairly future proof, nice for OCing (Not the absolute best). Some of the negatives are, not many programs are using all four cores, they run a bit hotter, the draw more power. You already know the hard-drive is a bit small so I won't comment beyond that, anyway, let us know what your objectives are and I am sure we could lend a hand on your selections

danaconda

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
You have succeeded in building a rig that will game plenty fine for a while yet. As far as Vista goes, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well that will handle it.

My current rig is about 2 months old and is very similar to yours and Vista Ultimate runs beautifully. (I'm running Intel E4300 oc'd to 3.24ghz, and all other components are comparable to yours - and an 8800gts 320 version)

Good luck, you'll be very happy with that rig.

zackh

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Without really knowing your objectives or goals for the PC it is hard to comment. Do you plan to do any OCing, are you a gamer, do you do any video editing, do you upgrade frequently, how long must your system last before you can afford to do any upgrading or a rebuild. Some of these items will help us to figure out if your selections are best for your goals. Me personally, I would invest in the quad core Q6600, seems to be a solid chip, fairly future proof, nice for OCing (Not the absolute best). Some of the negatives are, not many programs are using all four cores, they run a bit hotter, the draw more power. You already know the hard-drive is a bit small so I won't comment beyond that, anyway, let us know what your objectives are and I am sure we could lend a hand on your selections

I don't really plan on doing any OCing, it kind of scares me because there's always a chance that the part will stop working. I don't plan on doing any video editing, I don't upgrade frequently, and I would like my system to last me for more than a few years. As a gamer, my goal is to have a PC that will run all of the newer games (Oblivion, FEAR, BF2142, EQ2, etc.) and all of the upcoming releases (Crysis, Warhammer, Starcraft 2, etc.) with all of the eye candy. As for the quad core CPU, I don't really want to spend more than what I already have invested (a little over $1000). So, knowing all of this, if you have any other suggestions then feel free to fill me in. Thank you both for commenting.

I don't upgrade frequently, and I would like my system to last me for more than a few years. As a gamer, my goal is to have a PC that will run all of the newer games (Oblivion, FEAR, BF2142, EQ2, etc.) and all of the upcoming releases (Crysis, Warhammer, Starcraft 2, etc.) with all of the eye candy.

zackh, I'm afraid it's time for a reality check. A system that will play Crysis with all the eye candy, and also play Crysis 2 or whatever will appear in a few years, simply doesn't exist yet. Even if it did, you can't build it for $1000, it would be closer to $6000. Sorry...

That being said, that's a nice system and I'm sure you'll like it.

zackh

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Well, I don't mean that I want all of the settings at maximum with maximum AA. I just mean that I want my PC to run the games smoothly and also have them look good.

You'll be just fine then.

Nobody really knows what Crysis will demand anyway. If it needs 8800 GTX SLI they'll have a hard time finding customers to buy it. I hope they're aware of that...

zackh

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Yeah, that's like a $1000 investment in just video cards. Then you'd have to find the proper cooling, which would probably use water.

casusbelli

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I see a lot of people suggesting the Crucial Ballistix kits, which is great since it's really nice ram and steal after rebate, but one thing to remember/notice is that the rebate has to be postmarked by today 7/5/2007 so you likely won't be getting it for $70.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I see a lot of people suggesting the Crucial Ballistix kits, which is great since it's really nice ram and steal after rebate, but one thing to remember/notice is that the rebate has to be postmarked by today 7/5/2007 so you likely won't be getting it for $70.

I just bought the Crucial Balistix today too...if you read down the form, they must be purchase by 7/5/07, but the rebate must be postmarked by 8/5/07. That gives you a month. It's quite a buy for the price

casusbelli

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I just bought the Crucial Balistix today too...if you read down the form, they must be purchase by 7/5/07, but the rebate must be postmarked by 8/5/07. That gives you a month. It's quite a buy for the price

I stand corrected, good find on the fine print, I even missed it when I filled my forms out last week.

ben72227

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Any specific reason you're getting such a small HD? 80GB seems kinda on the low end - especially if you're going to be running applications like games - stuff that will take up a couple of GB of storage...

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Any specific reason you're getting such a small HD? 80GB seems kinda on the low end - especially if you're going to be running applications like games - stuff that will take up a couple of GB of storage...

Did you even read what he wrote in his first post?

Anyways, that all looks good. You might want to look into going intel for a cpu, especially with their price drop on the 22nd of this month. I think the e6550 or e6750 would suit you well.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Given the time you want to go on the system I might consider the Q6600 from Intel, go for the quad core if you can, after 22 July the price drops and it would make it a nice buy. Other than that the system is nice and should do you just fine!

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I have to agree. If you are looking for something to last a few years then I would def. look at going quad core for sure. More and more apps within the next year or so I would almost guarantee are going to be able to use quad core CPUs. Any reason you went with an AMD system?

EDIT:Spelling

TRENDING THREADS