Large heatsink concerns

Wazootyman

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2002
I'm building a new system and I've been considering a few options for performance heatsinks. However, I've been reading that these larger, heavier heatsinks can stress the motherboard, especially when moving the case. I don't move my system *too* often, but I do want the option (and I could be driving my system cross country), and I definitely don't want to have to remove and remount my heatsink when I move around.

Are these concerns unfounded? I was considering the Tuniq Tower, one of the heavier heatsinks. Is there an alternative someone could recommend that performs well but weighs less?

Thanks!

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
tuniq tower will be fine, basically anything less than strapping a lump of iron to it won't hurt your board. if you leave your system horizontal, whilst traveling any heatsink won't stress your board at all.

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
unless you crash the car :)

if your an little conserned about the wight or under norm use you could just make an support from the top of the heat sink to the top of your case (support wire thats tied to the top of the case to prevent bending of motheroard but never seen users brakeing there motherboards due to been heavie unless you drop the pc offen )

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
And when you are moving your case across county you could always lay it on its side so you don't have the moment force trying to pull the screws through your board you only have the downward weight of the heatsink acting on the board.

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
And when you are moving your case across county you could always lay it on its side so you don't have the moment force trying to pull the screws through your board you only have the downward weight of the heatsink acting on the board.

...well, at least until you hit the brakes... or the gas... or turn a corner :)