Do ANY tvs have digital audio input?

I just posted to the "Old Mitsu" thread about digital audio input on TVs.
It got me thinking. I have seen lots of TVs but never have I seen one with
digital audio INPUT other than HDMI which includes audio.

Do any TVs have digital audio input? Either copper or optical?

It doesn't seem like there would be a need for such a feature, but I know
some manufacturers do things that are unnecessary but add to the feature
list.

Thanks,
--Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about digital audio input

    dg wrote:
    > I just posted to the "Old Mitsu" thread about digital audio input on
    TVs.
    > It got me thinking. I have seen lots of TVs but never have I seen
    one with
    > digital audio INPUT other than HDMI which includes audio.
    >
    > Do any TVs have digital audio input? Either copper or optical?
    >
    > It doesn't seem like there would be a need for such a feature, but I
    know
    > some manufacturers do things that are unnecessary but add to the
    feature
    > list.

    Unless they have built in DD 5.1 decoders, there wouldn't be any point
    to it.

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:52:36 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just posted to the "Old Mitsu" thread about digital audio input on TVs.
    >It got me thinking. I have seen lots of TVs but never have I seen one with
    >digital audio INPUT other than HDMI which includes audio.
    >
    >Do any TVs have digital audio input? Either copper or optical?
    >
    >It doesn't seem like there would be a need for such a feature, but I know
    >some manufacturers do things that are unnecessary but add to the feature
    >list.

    I could think of one feature that could be easier and natural to
    implement on such a TV; a built in delay of the audio that
    automatically delays the sound the same amount as the delay from the
    image processing. On the other hand it is not easy to find a TV with
    descent sound so most of us need anyway a separate audio amplifier.
    Routing digital audio through the TV (with HDMI) and then to the
    surround amplifier could anyway make it possible to include an
    automatic delay adjust.
    Anybody seen such a feature?
    /Jan

    I don't think so. I do use the optical output from my Sanyo for 5.1 from
    the DTV tunner. Works great!
    Mike

    dg wrote:

    > I just posted to the "Old Mitsu" thread about digital audio input on TVs.
    > It got me thinking. I have seen lots of TVs but never have I seen one with
    > digital audio INPUT other than HDMI which includes audio.
    >
    > Do any TVs have digital audio input? Either copper or optical?
    >
    > It doesn't seem like there would be a need for such a feature, but I know
    > some manufacturers do things that are unnecessary but add to the feature
    > list.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Dan

HDTV Audio Home Theatre