HDD gone missing

I recently installed a new copy of xp pro. So far I've really only added
Norton Systemworks and initially all was ok.

Now it seems my system cant find my secondary HDD which was there and
working ok a day or two ago (it had my backups and a game and mpegs etc), I
had copied to and from it with no problems. Now it's dissapeared from
explorer, norton & the computer management screen. I've restarted quite a
bit but no luck.

I dont know if it was visable at start up before, but when it says
'detecting ide drives...' it lists my HDD1, DVD & CD drives but not my HDD2.

HDD1 was given drive letters C & D
HDD2 E & F

If it was a hardware problem wouldn't the drive still show?
2 answers Last reply
More about missing

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:26:02 -0700, Bodmass wrote:

    > I dont know if it was visable at start up before, but when it says
    > 'detecting ide drives...' it lists my HDD1, DVD & CD drives but not my HDD2.

    ATA/IDE drives? BIOS needs to see that drive for Windows to use it. Things
    to try: Check cable connections to drive and motherboard. Try a new cable.
    Enter BIOS setup and make the necessary choices to repeat auto-detect for
    the drive.

    Note: Added a drive to my brother's new Dell desktop a few years ago. Ran
    into a BIOS setting I hadn't seen before: Audit Mode. This had to be
    enabled to have the configuration information for any *new* drives
    retained. Once the drive was detected (including an exit and boot to
    operating system where it was also detected), the audit mode could be
    disabled again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Bodmass" <Bodmass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed a new copy of xp pro. So far I've really only added
    > Norton Systemworks and initially all was ok.
    >
    > Now it seems my system cant find my secondary HDD which was there and
    > working ok a day or two ago (it had my backups and a game and mpegs etc),
    > had copied to and from it with no problems. Now it's dissapeared from
    > explorer, norton & the computer management screen. I've restarted quite a
    > bit but no luck.
    >
    > I dont know if it was visable at start up before, but when it says
    > 'detecting ide drives...' it lists my HDD1, DVD & CD drives but not my
    > HDD2.
    >
    > HDD1 was given drive letters C & D
    > HDD2 E & F
    >
    > If it was a hardware problem wouldn't the drive still show?

    Not necessarily. It would depend on the hardware fault!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)