NOT DirectX 10 On Windows XP. Ignore.

TheXel48

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
(link to Trojan/Bot removed)

** direct link removed by TGGA - add http:// at your own risk.
File has been brought into question by other users so direct link by stranger who joined today has been removed.
Thank you, and have a good day, eh!

Update: link to Trojan/Bot removed.

I you downloaded the file that was link, check with your AntiVirus / AV company, or better yet, Format and start over.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
and yet again....an unknown prog being posted by someone we hardly know.

I am not gonna install anything till someone else tries it and confirms what it does :roll:

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I am not gonna install anything till someone else tries it and confirms what it does :roll:
seconded.
(not that i have a dx10 card :lol: )

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

seconded.
(not that i have a dx10 card :lol: )

nither do i, but you know...just to be safe :lol:

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Just curious what your motivation is for joining the forum today and starting three new threads to promote this.

When DX10 is made to run well on xp it will be widely reported....IMHO.

sailer

Splendid
Not worth it. I'll just wait for Microsoft to make a real patch or something like that.

I doubt that will happen. If Microsoft did it, then they would kill the main reason most people have for buying Vista, DX10. After all, why would I buy Vista and all the crude that comes with it, including slower frame rates, if I could patch DX10 into my XP OS and save a lot of money, work, and headaches?

As of now, the only project I know that could make DX10 work on XP is... Wine - by creating a DX10 wrapper over OpenGL 2.1, like they did for DX1-9.
The wrapper should become part of libwine as well as allow Linux users to play DX10 games on Linux.
Implementing the stubs and architecture of DX10 in Wine is a Google Summer of Code 2007 project.

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
hang on here, i just got a 8800 gts 640mb today and have windows xp. is there an official patch for windows xp thats needed to run D10X games too?

if there is, send me the link please.

also, what name some Dx10 games please so i have an idea?

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Merwan- DONT DO IT!!! Well, dont unless you want to have to reinstall windows. I don't know what this patch will do and neither does anyone else. If in doubt as to something's intent or source, don't install it.
DX10 gaming isn't worth it right now and the only things that are available that support DX10 are demos at this point, with the games coming out around October or so, so there is no rush to grab something that is of questionable content/intent.
Just my 2 cents.

as has been mentioned, this is probably a hoax. Now, you might not need to patch DX10 apps to run so much as you'd need to fool them (Windows XP returns the version NT 5.1 while Vista returns NT 6.0). After that, you need to reproduce the required APIs - meaning that you'd probably have a greater chance to make everything work correctly with IE7 + .Net 3.0 + WMP 11 installed on top of a DX10 patch.

Now, what solutions would allow you to use DX10 on WinXP?
Solution 1:
- backport DX10 libraries
- install DX10-compatible drivers (would require patching Windows XP's kernel due to different hooks).
Solution 2:
- backport DX10 libraries
- hack DX9 drivers so as to make those work with DX10 libraries (would require complete reverse engineering of Nvidia and Ati hardware, and reprogramming drivers for those)
Solution 3:
- reprogram DX10 libraries to translate DX10 calls and HLSL ops into OpenGL calls and GLSL ops.

The latter solution is actually the most simple. It merely requires good OpenGL drivers. HLSL and GLSL map one to the other almost perfectly. DX10 calls are not that different from DX9 ones.

Solution 3 is, as I understand it, what the Wine project is implementing.

Damn, I feel like I'm back to the Voodoo days, when people spent a lot of time creating wrappers to make Glide work on non-Voodoo hardware...

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well i will try it, since my windows needs to be reïnstalled anyways :p

I will post the results later... and if i don't my computer has crashed and im on a holiday in portugal :lol:

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
lol, well i downloaded it. Unpacked it. It was a .exe file :p so only by that you shouldn't trust it.

BUT, i clicked on it, computer was busy and the file disapeared :lol: . So now i don't dare to reboot because i think it wont boot up anymore... but since im going away tomorrow i just let it on for the night...

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Ignore that crap probably is a joke or somekind of a virus. All GFX drivers for Windows XP support DX9. Unless Nvidia and ATI they are on to something.