Temp Int. files are slow to delete

Bart

I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet Options-Delete
Files, that it takes far longer with my XP installation than with my old ME
install. I see that the space allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the
optimum size or should that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files?
I really don't recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to
stick in my head. Appreciate any help!

Bart

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:11bu99rol707m35@corp.supernews.com,
Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> had this to say:

> I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet
> Options-Delete Files, that it takes far longer with my XP
> installation than with my old ME install. I see that the space
> allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the optimum size or should
> that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files? I really don't
> recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to stick in
> my head. Appreciate any help!
> Bart

It does take a while to delete that much data. My TIF settings are currently
set to 480 MB which is far larger than I should think I'd really need.
There's likely to be no magic number for everyone but half, or even quarter,
of what you currently have should be more than enough. Some people turn it
down to the 20 MB range or so I understand. I'm not really pressured for
disk space and haven't had any issues with my current settings at all if
that's any indication.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Bart

Thanks, Galen. I thought it was too big at 1192. I've seen you at the ME
group from time to time. Glad to know you scout around here, too!
Again, thank you for your help.

Bart

> In news:11bu99rol707m35@corp.supernews.com,
> Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> had this to say:

>> I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet
>> Options-Delete Files, that it takes far longer with my XP
>> installation than with my old ME install. I see that the space
>> allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the optimum size or should
>> that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files? I really don't
>> recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to stick in
>> my head. Appreciate any help!
>> Bart
>
> It does take a while to delete that much data. My TIF settings are
> currently set to 480 MB which is far larger than I should think I'd really
> need. There's likely to be no magic number for everyone but half, or even
> quarter, of what you currently have should be more than enough. Some
> people turn it down to the 20 MB range or so I understand. I'm not really
> pressured for disk space and haven't had any issues with my current
> settings at all if that's any indication.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:11bucrgse205c7@corp.supernews.com,
Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> had this to say:

> Thanks, Galen. I thought it was too big at 1192. I've seen you at
> the ME group from time to time. Glad to know you scout around here,
> too! Again, thank you for your help.
>
> Bart

Bart,

Not a problem and it's nice to be appreciated so thank you. All in all I
think I have about 50 Microsoft® NewsGroups loaded right now. I've used most
every single OS made my Microsoft of some variation of it. Not that I'm
good - in fact it's the opposite. A more accurate statement is I've broken
about every OS made. (I've broken some Apple OSes and a few *NIX variations
in my day too. I like breaking Windows the most.) So, over the years I've
either learned to search, fix, troubleshoot, or have saved countless answers
that worked in the past. I usually tackle the more unusual ones if I'm given
a chance. I like the ones that defy normal rules. Some of them have been
known to take a couple of weeks to finally resolve but they're the most
rewarding I find. Thanks again.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , for at least 1 year my 'Space allowed' has been set to 10MB . No
problems .
--
KD