Temp Int. files are slow to delete

I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet Options-Delete
Files, that it takes far longer with my XP installation than with my old ME
install. I see that the space allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the
optimum size or should that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files?
I really don't recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to
stick in my head. Appreciate any help!

Bart
4 answers Last reply
More about temp files slow delete

    In news:11bu99rol707m35@corp.supernews.com,
    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> had this to say:

    > I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet
    > Options-Delete Files, that it takes far longer with my XP
    > installation than with my old ME install. I see that the space
    > allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the optimum size or should
    > that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files? I really don't
    > recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to stick in
    > my head. Appreciate any help!
    > Bart

    It does take a while to delete that much data. My TIF settings are currently
    set to 480 MB which is far larger than I should think I'd really need.
    There's likely to be no magic number for everyone but half, or even quarter,
    of what you currently have should be more than enough. Some people turn it
    down to the 20 MB range or so I understand. I'm not really pressured for
    disk space and haven't had any issues with my current settings at all if
    that's any indication.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks, Galen. I thought it was too big at 1192. I've seen you at the ME
    group from time to time. Glad to know you scout around here, too!
    Again, thank you for your help.

    Bart

    In news:11bucrgse205c7@corp.supernews.com,
    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> had this to say:

    > Thanks, Galen. I thought it was too big at 1192. I've seen you at
    > the ME group from time to time. Glad to know you scout around here,
    > too! Again, thank you for your help.
    >
    > Bart

    Bart,

    Not a problem and it's nice to be appreciated so thank you. All in all I
    think I have about 50 Microsoft® NewsGroups loaded right now. I've used most
    every single OS made my Microsoft of some variation of it. Not that I'm
    good - in fact it's the opposite. A more accurate statement is I've broken
    about every OS made. (I've broken some Apple OSes and a few *NIX variations
    in my day too. I like breaking Windows the most.) So, over the years I've
    either learned to search, fix, troubleshoot, or have saved countless answers
    that worked in the past. I usually tackle the more unusual ones if I'm given
    a chance. I like the ones that defy normal rules. Some of them have been
    known to take a couple of weeks to finally resolve but they're the most
    rewarding I find. Thanks again.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Hello , for at least 1 year my 'Space allowed' has been set to 10MB . No
    problems .
    --
    KD

    "Bart" wrote:

    > I've noticed that when deleting TIF's via Tools-Internet Options-Delete
    > Files, that it takes far longer with my XP installation than with my old ME
    > install. I see that the space allowed by default is 1192 MB. Is this the
    > optimum size or should that be smaller to avoid accumulating so many files?
    > I really don't recall what the setting was in ME days, but 400 MB seems to
    > stick in my head. Appreciate any help!
    >
    > Bart

Microsoft Windows XP