Palm with anonymous proxy

December 22, 2004 1:30:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.handhelds,comp.security.misc (More info?)

I am looking to buy a used Palm Tungsten C, if it will do what I want.
I want to be able to connect to a wifi network (this model comes with
a wifi card), set the Palm to use an anonymous proxy (I enter the
address/port), and go to hotmail.com or yahoo.com and use an e-mail
account. There are a couple sites that keep updated lists of public
proxy servers. This procedure works fine from a PC (MS Windows).

I found some stuff on the Tungsten C, and it says you can use special
proxy servers that reformat the web pages, and says how to enter the
address/port. I assume this will work with any proxy server, not just
the Palm supported ones (less the web reformatting, of course).

I want to buy a used model. Any problems with the early ones?

Any other products that will do this? I'd prefer something smaller
than a laptop, and because I don't want to use it for anything else, I
don't need any fancy bells and whistles, and what to keep the cost
down. (Or maybe I'll end up finding web surfing at wifi spots more
handy than expected.)

Thanks.

More about : palm anonymous proxy

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.handhelds,comp.security.misc (More info?)

On or about depending on the hamsters 21 Dec 2004 22:30:14 -0800, Todd
Grey <t_grey_4@hotmail.com> permuted the language to say:

> I am looking to buy a used Palm Tungsten C, if it will do what I want.
> I want to be able to connect to a wifi network (this model comes with
> a wifi card), set the Palm to use an anonymous proxy (I enter the
> address/port), and go to hotmail.com or yahoo.com and use an e-mail
> account. There are a couple sites that keep updated lists of public
> proxy servers. This procedure works fine from a PC (MS Windows).
>
> I found some stuff on the Tungsten C, and it says you can use special
> proxy servers that reformat the web pages, and says how to enter the
> address/port. I assume this will work with any proxy server, not just
> the Palm supported ones (less the web reformatting, of course).
>
> I want to buy a used model. Any problems with the early ones?
>
> Any other products that will do this? I'd prefer something smaller
> than a laptop, and because I don't want to use it for anything else, I
> don't need any fancy bells and whistles, and what to keep the cost
> down. (Or maybe I'll end up finding web surfing at wifi spots more
> handy than expected.)
>
> Thanks.

In theory there shouldn't be a problem. You can use any proxy... just
enter the details in the browser set-up.

One problem you may have with some networks is that they force you to use
their proxy (my work requires this, for example). So I can't use any other
proxy at the same time. When I'm using my own connection from home, I can
use pretty much anything (or nothing) that I want. So it may depend on how
you connect. This will affect any wifi device not just the Palm.

Web-mail is ok via the T|C, but much better is popmail. Versamail is fine
-- I've got 3 accounts set up on my T|C. They all use authenticated
addresses, so basically I can use them from anywhere (unless I'm blocked
by the local wifi network... does happen). I use Snapper for IMAP
(slightly more stringent security on that). Using POP you can compose/read
off-line etc, and then just hunt for a connection to send when you're
ready.

The keyboard on the T|C is great for email.

--
Words
http://www.permuted.org.uk