Another 8300HD question

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 8, 2005 3:11:30 PM

I just got a SA 8300HD from Time Warner/NYC and so far so good. I had
a TIVO for 3 years and the quality of the 8300 is far superior (plus
dual tuners, and I can record HDTV which I never watched because it was
a pain to switch back and forth). Also I can record with
wishlists...if you search in the quide and use title or keywords it
asks you if you want to record all shows with that word (like Tivo)

Drawbacks are that the guide is for only one week (so if a show isn't
on that week, it won't show up in search), and the recorded shows are
just listed, no groups. A big problem is that it will record all
episodes of a show in repeats (Comedy Central shows an episode like 9
times a day). You have to make different recording options and times.

One thing I can't find is changing the quality of the recording. I am
told I get 90 hours SD and 20 hours HDTV, but with all at best quality
that will fill up fast.

?

Iovinus

More about : 8300hd question

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:22:58 PM

"Iovinus" <iovinus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One thing I can't find is changing the quality of the recording. I
> am
> told I get 90 hours SD and 20 hours HDTV, but with all at best
> quality
> that will fill up fast.

Supposedly a SATA drive can be connected for more storage ... but I
have not heard if anyone has done this yet
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:31:44 PM

Iovinus Wrote:
> One thing I can't find is changing the quality of the recording. I am
> told I get 90 hours SD and 20 hours HDTV, but with all at best quality
> that will fill up fast.
>
> ?
>
> Iovinus

you cant change the recording quality on them, that 90 and 20 should be
at the best recording. i know cablevision says they can have 110sd and
24hd hrs on the 8300.

--
hbk409, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
March 9, 2005 2:34:52 AM

Markeau Wrote:
> "Iovinus" <iovinus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > One thing I can't find is changing the quality of the recording. I
> > am
> > told I get 90 hours SD and 20 hours HDTV, but with all at best
> > quality
> > that will fill up fast.
>
> Supposedly a SATA drive can be connected for more storage ... but I
> have not heard if anyone has done this yet

you have to call the provider to see if they enabled this feature the
connection is on the back of the box

--
hbk409, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
March 9, 2005 3:00:47 AM

Nope, can't use lower quality recording for more time....I just love my
8300HD. The 8000HD crashed so I got one of the only 12 8300 HDs they had.
Roger
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:27:53 PM

hbk409 wrote:
> Markeau Wrote:
>
>>"Iovinus" <iovinus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>One thing I can't find is changing the quality of the recording. I
>>>am
>>>told I get 90 hours SD and 20 hours HDTV, but with all at best
>>>quality
>>>that will fill up fast.
>>
>>Supposedly a SATA drive can be connected for more storage ... but I
>>have not heard if anyone has done this yet
>

> you have to call the provider to see if they enabled this feature the
> connection is on the back of the box

Does any one know if this is enabled for TW Houston. I called and they
did not know what I was talking about.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:26:57 PM

=============================

There's a current thread in the HD recorders/player forum at avsforum.com
from someone with a 8300HD who has attached an external drive for added
storage. -- John

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:25:47 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:26:57 GMT, "John Blake" <jblake@bamspam.com>
wrote:

>There's a current thread in the HD recorders/player forum at avsforum.com
>from someone with a 8300HD who has attached an external drive for added
>storage. -- John

That guy's DVR is running SARA software. This will not work if the
DVR is running Pioneer Passport software.

Randy
!