npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
Here's my rig I am planning to upgrade:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
CPU: i7 920 @ 3,9 Ghz (Noctua NH-D12)
Memory: 3 x 2gb memory at ~1440Mhz
GPU: 2 x Geforce 460 (768Mb) SLI

The thing is, since I cannot afford to do a complete upgrade at the moment (buying new motherboard, processor, gpu and memory), I am stuck with lga 1366 processors. So, in order to get more performance, I would like to only replace the GPUs and the CPU.

To my understanding, the only feasible CPU upgrade in my case would be a gulftown 32nm processor. The X variant still costs about $500, so that is not possible for my budget. However, I could get an i7 980 (non X) for $190 and most likely sell my i7 920 for $140, so that would only cost me like $50.

In terms of GPUs, I've been planning on buying a 7950 for $300 and selling my pair of 460s for $150. So my total net expenditure would be CPU $50 + GPU $150 = $200.

I would hope to get my load temps down to ~60-70C, memory @ ~1800Mhz and CPU @ ~4,2Ghz, and play games with on 1920x1080 resolution and ultra settings. From a strictly performance point of view, do you think this upgrade make sense? Would I be safe for the forseeable future, maybe buying another 7950 after a year (when they cost less)? Or do you think that my CPU will just soon be too weak in comparison to newer processors, like i5 3570k?

Since it sounds like you are doing this as a gaming build I would say that the Intel Core i7 with socket 1366 would most likely yield very little performance gain for a gaming system over the newer Intlel Core i5-3570K.

npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
How long would you estimate that my current CPU suffices for my purposes? When would be the time to upgrade, and would the upgrade at that point mean moving away from lga 1366?

Another reason for upgrading the cpu is that I am a bit worried about my temps. Highest "normal" (=non-torture) load temps can sometimes hit 82c or 83c, and torture load temps can hit 90c. In the most typical scenarios, though, the temps do not commonly exceed mid-sixties and idle temps sit @ 48c.

Should I worry about this? Would a 32nm processor, such as i7 980, run cooler @ 4Ghz+ frequencies, as some have suggested (see, for example, http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/1/ )?

If so, should I consider replacing my 45nm 920 to a cooler, never-before-overclocked 32nm processor before I fry my old one, even if the performance gain from higher processor and memory frequencies is not very big?

You didn't specify a purpose for the upgrade. Anyway it's pointless to spend money on a 980 when your CPU is already at 3.9 GHz. What do you think you'll gain? A couple of hundred MHz at best.

Reseat and clean your heatsink. Alternatively, don't run torture tests :lol:

Possibly, but it's not worth upgrading to.

I'd say run your 920 to the ground or upgrade when it finally starts to be insufficient. I'm still running a 920 3.56 GHz too :lol: I don't see the need for CPU upgrades for at least another year when Intel should release Haswell.

TRENDING THREADS