Downgrade to XP Failed: SATA RAID

breannalee

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
My boyfriend recently got his Acer Aspire M1640 back from his mother and because of Vista's terrible performance with games, I wanted to downgrade his computer to XP. His computer uses RAID, which is not included in my Windows XP disc - but no problem, I retrieved all the XP drivers for his Acer and imported them into a new Windows XP disc created with WinLite. Everyone else I've talked to has had no problems doing this, except me. When I boot up the setup, all the files load, then I get a blue screen saying something on the lines of: "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to shut down to prevent damage to your system". Stop error: Stop 0x0000007B

I assumed this was due to the SATA RAID driver, but I had installed these drivers into the new XP disc... so what's going on? I tried to disable SATA RAID in the BIOS but I have no option to disable RAID mode... so I had to do the alternative. By the way, the RAID is nVidia.

Also, another strange thing... in the Bios, IDE is not detected AT ALL. When I opened the computer there are no IDE cables connected anywhere. The computer came like that, so I'm assuming I can't switch to IDE at all.

Any advice? Vista is really eating up all his memory and makes playing games like WoW and Aion difficult - even the Sims doesn't play well on it!

The Acer has Dual Core 1.8GHz, not the best but still fine. 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 7500 video card.

0x7B is the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error code, so your assumption about the problem being caused by the RAID controller is likely correct.

Since Vista was giving you problems, what about using Windows 7? The RAID controller driver should be included natively. If it's not, getting the controller driver loaded is not that difficult, as all you really need is a flash drive.

However, I believe the main issue is the video card. The Geforce 7500 cards were not that great and I'm being generous when saying that). Perhaps try borrowing a higher end video card - try something in the Geforce 9000 series - from a friend if they don't mind, and install it in your computer. See if your games perform any better?

Your system specs are here. Unless someone has added a SATA HDD, you have only one, so you cannot have RAID. The drivers are here - shoot you'll have to make 3 selections to get to the desktop/M1640, you can download them and re-install them with winlite for the OS you want to use.