Sign in with
Your question

"Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted"

Last response: in Windows XP
December 30, 2009 4:11:49 AM

"Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted..."

Today I got this error. I was in a rush and moved my entire My Documents folder to my desktop to do some work and then shut my computer off. When I restarted it did a ChkDsk which seemed to fix the profile problem as everything is normal, but my entire My Documents folder is empty and none of the files are anywhere to be seen.

Tomorrow I plan to take it to a shop and see if they can get the data off the harddrive somehow but is there anything else I can do?

Help?
December 30, 2009 10:25:33 AM

Windows will have created you a new profile, Connect a USB drive and browse through C:\Documents & Settings\<your old profile name> and copy all your documents out from there onto your usb disk.

Its only your profile thats corrupt, no need to take it to a shop!
m
l
December 30, 2009 11:04:10 AM

Yes, I realize that this is what I should've initially done. However, I did as you said (minus the USB drive) by navigating through to my old C:/D&S:o ldprofile and moved the files to the desktop of this new profile.

My computer was restarted, and now the files that I moved are nowhere to be found on the harddrive.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2009 11:42:31 AM

I did say copy them onto a USB disk...
m
l
December 31, 2009 10:55:08 PM

Where did you move the files? Have you tried searching for them via the Find utility?
m
l
January 7, 2010 11:29:30 PM

kingsean said:
I did say copy them onto a USB disk...

["Zoron"]Where did you move the files? Have you tried searching for them via the Find utility?[/quote]

Yes, perhaps you two should read again carefully...

Anyway, for anyone else looking for a solution to this problem. I found that the files were 90% recoverable by mounting the hard drive and doing a recovery via software (I used Recuva).
m
l
!