Your question
Solved

Black screen...

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 30, 2009 4:33:50 PM

Well, i was at my friends house using their computer and it was running SUPER slow and i went Start>Turn Off>Restart or w/e and it wasn't working, so i just held down the power button on the tower. In hind site, this really wasn't a good idea :p 

Now when they turn their computer on it goes to a black screen with a flashing white text thing in the upper left hand corner.

Anyone know how to fix this? do i have to put the xp install disk back in and fix the MBR? I read that somewhere but i'm not sure if it's what i am suppose to do...

If it was my computer i wouldn't care so much, but it's my friends so i feel really bad haha. any help would be greatly appreciated

More about : black screen

Best solution

December 31, 2009 10:49:16 PM

Really bad haha?

Hmmmmm.

In any event, this simply could be a symptom of the same problem that caused the computer to be slow in the first place. You should boot the computer with a XP CD and use the Repair console to run a chkdsk on the drive. If running chkdsk doesn't help, then there is a good chance that the drive is failing and was failing before you tried to restart it.
January 1, 2010 2:05:25 AM

Alright thanks I'll try that out
m
l
Related resources
!