Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Avi to vob without quality loss

Last response: in Applications
November 2, 2011 9:03:59 AM

Hi everybody.
Could you please advise me for the following: I have been trying to convert an avi video file to vob (to burn it on a DVD an watch it on my home DVD player). I tried 2 or three converters (already used in the past, notably FoxTab). The result is beyond anything: an image composed of small squares... Can this be improved by a better converter or is this linked to the original avi file (which looks really good, played on my PC using VLC)?
Thanks a lot for your advice.
France.

More about : avi vob quality loss

Best solution

November 2, 2011 10:24:30 AM

France42 said:
Hi everybody.
Could you please advise me for the following: I have been trying to convert an avi video file to vob (to burn it on a DVD an watch it on my home DVD player). I tried 2 or three converters (already used in the past, notably FoxTab). The result is beyond anything: an image composed of small squares... Can this be improved by a better converter or is this linked to the original avi file (which looks really good, played on my PC using VLC)?
Thanks a lot for your advice.
France.

Use this free one and make sure that u use 2pass convert. AVI source sucks @90%.

Why do u need VOB anyway?

http://www.dvdflick.net/ - great results, better than most paid that I have tried.
November 2, 2011 12:18:39 PM

Thanks a lot, Nikorr, for your answer. I try your link immediately. Why do I need vob? Well, my DVD player supports S-VCD, VCD, dts, Dolby digital and some other audio or picture stuff. I understood that S-VCD or VCD are in fact vob, ifo or bup files... If another format can do it, fine with me. I'm affraid I know nothing in that field... :-(
Grateful for your help.
Have a nice day (euuuh, it's 14:17 over here...).
France.
Score
Related resources
November 2, 2011 3:15:50 PM

nikorr said:
Use this free one and make sure that u use 2pass convert. AVI source sucks @90%.

Why do u need VOB anyway?

http://www.dvdflick.net/ - great results, better than most paid that I have tried.

Thanks again Nikorr. I tried DVD Flick. The conversion lasted about 3 hours but the result (containing indeed the sais VOB files) is impeccable. So it varies indeed with the chosen converter.

Thank you for your precious help !!!

France.
Score
November 2, 2011 5:51:03 PM

Your welcome. There is a lots of programs, but only some are good. No two apples are the same.

Open source rules!
Score
November 14, 2011 5:48:33 AM

Thank you, Janet55, for your answer. That's good info. At the moment, I have already a DVD creator and the solution proposed by Nikorr works fine and it is free. So I think I'll go on with that one. The only drawback is the time for convertion: about 3 hours.
However, I did not know there were DVD creators basically modifying the format input-output and I'll for sure take that into account when renewing some softwares.
Have a nice day.
France
Score
November 14, 2011 5:54:23 AM

France42 said:
Thank you, Janet55, for your answer. That's good info. At the moment, I have already a DVD creator and the solution proposed by Nikorr works fine and it is free. So I think I'll go on with that one. The only drawback is the time for convertion: about 3 hours.
However, I did not know there were DVD creators basically modifying the format input-output and I'll for sure take that into account when renewing some softwares.
Have a nice day.
France

Hi again,

U can set it to encode when u are going to sleep :) 

Takes less than hour on fast PC for 110 min movie.
Score
November 14, 2011 6:15:10 AM

France42 said:
Have a nice day.
France

Ya, converting video takes time, there is no way around it except to have a mess of ram, and a good cpu. 3 hours is perfectly normal for good quality conversion on most systems
Score
November 14, 2011 6:34:57 AM

Best answer selected by France42.
Score
November 14, 2011 6:36:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!