Your question

How do I restore a user profile

Tags:
  • Brother
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
December 30, 2009 8:30:23 PM

Hi My brother has deleted my hubbys user profile with all my work for his businesses over the last 5 years! I have never been so stressed and worried. Is there any way I can get the profile and rthe docs back?

Thanks,

Sonya

More about : restore user profile

December 30, 2009 8:46:51 PM

Do you have any sort of backup? Without that it's going to be difficult. If it's really important your best bet may be to stop using your computer and let a data recovery professional look at it - the quicker you do that the better the chance that the data can be recovered. Unfortunately that's not a cheap route.

There are a variety of utilities that claim to be able to recover deleted files. The problem is that if you use one and it doesn't work you will make the data harder to recover.
Anonymous
December 30, 2009 9:20:19 PM

Ijack said:
Do you have any sort of backup? Without that it's going to be difficult. If it's really important your best bet may be to stop using your computer and let a data recovery professional look at it - the quicker you do that the better the chance that the data can be recovered. Unfortunately that's not a cheap route.

There are a variety of utilities that claim to be able to recover deleted files. The problem is that if you use one and it doesn't work you will make the data harder to recover.

Hi, no I don't not something I thought about until now! How much will it be roughly and is it worth it? will they be able to do it do you think??

I have spent all night looking at these recovery files websites and they look like a bunch of Cr*p yes...

Thanks for your quick repsonse!
Related resources
December 31, 2009 7:00:41 AM

Do a Google on "data recovery services". Here is a typical one in the UK. (I've not used these people, so can't make a recommendation - I just give it as an example of what you are looking for.) If you haven't used the computer much since the files were deleted then there's an excellent chance that they can get them back for you. The best thing to do would be to contact one of these firms, explain the situation, and get an estimate of the cost of recovery. Then you can decide whether it is worthwhile.

I know that it's too late for you, but others reading this might like to consider the question of backups. Mistakes happen, and hardware fails, so to keep only one copy of important information is not wise. Institute some sort of backup routine and test it to see that you can recover files; you may never need those backups. but do you want to take that risk?
December 31, 2009 10:23:44 PM

You will need them... with hard drives it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. SSDs are a different story, but mechanical hard drives are guaranteed to fail at some point.
!