failed because Windows did not receive any response

marsh242

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
hi my computer running vista 64 continues to get the error message "Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." my router is a WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router from linksys and my TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter from tp-link. the wifi will work on other computers and I have had this problem with one other wifi adapter (don't rember name but was from linksys) so i don't think either of them ar to blame please help

summery:

router: TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter from tp-link

adapter: WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router from linksys
but I don't think those are the problem

error: "Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point."

any thing eles that you need just ask

G

In the router user interface experiment with changing the wireless mode (e.g. b&g or g only etc).

Also try with all wireless security disabled.

Make sure SSID is broadcast.

Turn off the router's Wireless Access List exclusions and inclusions (that's the one which identifies the MAC id of wireless adapters and selects whether they can access the router).

Obviously also look at reception strength and interference issues and change channels, antenna position etc.

cherubian

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I am having the same problem, but I do not have a clue what to do concerning your instructions. My computer crashed and I sent it out to be fixed, of course all previous data was lost and when I got the computer back it would not connect to the wireless network in my home, but it will connect anywhere else I take it ( barnes & Noble, Starbucks, etc). Since all my other computers are running fine on the wireless network at home , I am assuming something is missing in my laptop computer that was there before.

Also, if I have information backed up on a external hard drive will that have the configurations of my computer that will allow me to access my wireless before it crashed?

Question:

what is the router interface and where would that be?

how do I disable wireless security?

make sure SSID is broadcast, what is this and where do I find it.

How do I turn of wireless access list exclusions and inclusions?

it is obvious that I did not setup my wireless or have a clue in how it operates, so I will certainly appreciate any hel you can give.

In the router user interface experiment with changing the wireless mode (e.g. b&g or g only etc).

Also try with all wireless security disabled.

Make sure SSID is broadcast.

Turn off the router's Wireless Access List exclusions and inclusions (that's the one which identifies the MAC id of wireless adapters and selects whether they can access the router).

Obviously also look at reception strength and interference issues and change channels, antenna position etc.

G

There's no quick way to describe everything about using your router -- which is why most come with both a quick-start leaflet and a user manual. Do at least have a look at the leaflet.

This will probably tell you that you first connect the computer to the router via an ethernet cable (not wireless).

Access the router's user interface by typing the router's IP address (usually 192.168.0.1) into your internet browser address bar. You should then see a login box -- Username is usually admin. Password may be something like password or the brand name of the router.

You should then have access to a series of pages of information and options. These will include wireless security.

My suggestion is that your first step when making a fresh connection to the router is to note the present security settings and then turn them off.

Once you establish a reliable wireless connection you can turn security back on.