mk4mu

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
When I power on my desktop and get to the user log-in screen, it won't accept any of the users passwords. It gives me a message that the system cannot log you on domain is unavailable. I'm running XP Pro. Even users that aren't password protected require a password and nothing works. Can't get pass the login screen to diagnose or apply a fix.

mk4mu

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I don't know what that means. It's a stand alone desktop machine that is simply connected to the internet via a high speed modem. I had created logins for 5 users (members of my family). When the machine boots up, I get to the login screen but that's as far as I can go.

Log in via Safe Mode and create a new admin account with no password. Make sure that the workgroup name is the same on all computers and ensure that you haven't checked that particular computer to join a domain rather than a workgroup.

mk4mu

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I can't. When I log in via safe mode it simply takes me to a login screen with my login and "administrator". Both require a password and nothing is accepted. Gives me the same "domain is not available" message. So I can't even get to the place I need to to create a new administrator log in.