onboard 6100 overclock.... 425mhz-602mhz stable.

vegie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
isnt this fun?
my 3d mark05 sucked... 702 at stock and i wondered how i could overclock it, (sence nvida stuff didnt work) and i found something called powerstrip on google and this thing works, i can take the clock speed from 425mhz to 892mhz, (not that i would go that high hehehhehehe). i uped the vcore for the onbored 5% in the bios and overclocked the onboard gpu to 525mhz first... stable..3dmark05 760 this was good, but i wanted more, 625mhz didnt work with 3dmark, so i notched it down to 602mhz and got a 3dmark05 score of 822 this is great for onboard.... and uped my bf1942 fps by 25..... so what do u guys think bout this???

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
i guess thats cool.. why dont you just buy a card for $20 that will completely outperform it, and not risk frying your motherboard. overclocking the gpu on your motherboard probably isnt a great idea, since there isnt much cooling on motherboards themselves. do you have a heatsink and fan over your north bridge?

vegie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
no heatsink on nb and just a small copper one on sb..... and i think the geforce 6100 is under the sb...... i played bf1942 for an hour and i started to lose textures, eg peoples bodys and buildings floating in mid air.... droped it down to 525mhz and all is well. oh im going to buy a 8600 gt soon, thats why i thought i would experiment with the oc of this onboard lol.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of, and it just reinforces my impression that overclocking is a hobby in and of itself and doesn't involve trying to get more bang for the buck.

The only way I'd rely on my motherboard's IGP for gaming is if I were RMA'ing my card and wanted to play TES: Arena on Dosbox. :lol:

Still, if it's fun and you can afford to fry a motherboard, then go for it.

Who knows, if Nvidia actually comes out with DX10 IGP hybrid SLI motherboards (only one source for this and it's the Inquirer), then it might be worth using an IGP for games (alongside the GPU) but I still wouldn't want to overclock it.

I'm waiting for the next gen Nvidia hardware too. This 7600GS was "just" going to last from February till the 8600 came out. Now, the 8600 isn't all that good and if I waited this long, I can wait for an 8900GTS or 9800GTS, whatever the heck Nvidia calls it.

I won't be playing any DX10 games till then. They can wait. I'd rather not have FX5200 DX9 performance translated into DX10 terms.

vegie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
well where i live the 7600gt cost sometimes more than the 8600gt lolz..... $220 for a 7600gt--- 240 for 8600gt nz$

kwekmiester

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Im playing warcraft III in midsettings using my onboard VIA s3 graphics. THe game looks fine and doesnt freeze at all but during the time when i was still using my 5200 the game lags occasionally... funny isn't it? Good thing taht card burn itself up :oops:

Well im planning to buy a 8600gt too... which do you think is good PALIT or INNO3D?

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
well where i live the 7600gt cost sometimes more than the 8600gt lolz..... $220 for a 7600gt--- 240 for 8600gt nz$

That $220 in New Zealand dollars equals $172 in U.S. dollars, according to the Xe.com currency converter. Newegg sells the 7600gt for anywhere between $89 and $127. Is it higher taxes or shipping volume that screws you guys over?

You'd think that lower volumes shipped from a Chinese factory by a Taiwanese card manufacturer would be offset by a closer distance. I think you guys in Australia and New Zealand get the short end of the stick compared to the U.S. and Canada as far as computer parts go.

Why not get a 7600gs until the 8800GTS drops in price once the 8900gts or 9800gts (whatever Nvidia calls it) arrives?

Im playing warcraft III in midsettings using my onboard VIA s3 graphics. THe game looks fine and doesnt freeze at all but during the time when i was still using my 5200 the game lags occasionally... funny isn't it?

The FX5200 was the worst card Nvidia ever made. The FX series defaulted to DX8 in Half Life 2 instead of the DX9 it they were made for. Everyone is saying that the 8400 and 8600 cards will default to DX9 instead of DX10. Only the 8800 series has a chance, and they still aren't doing all that well because of Vista driver issues.

AMD's in the same boat with their parts. Only the X2900 can do well under DX10 in newly released games. The value added features that make the midrange cards worth it are only for HTPC's not for budget gaming. I'd hoped that driver updates would change things, but I guess you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

It's the FX series all over again, but this time from both AMD and Nvidia. See the following:

AMD and NVIDIA had the chance to define the minimum performance of a DX10 class part higher than what we can expect from cards that barely get by with DX9 code. By choosing to design their hardware without a significant, consistent performance advantage over the X1600 and 7600 class of parts, developers have even less incentive (not to mention ability) to push next generation features only possible with DX10 into their games. These cards are just not powerful enough to enable widespread use of any features that reach beyond the capability of DirectX 9.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029&p=7

That's why I'm sticking with my poky 7600GS until Nvidia releases something that does well in DX10 games under Vista, then I'll get a new card and some DX10 titles. Until then, I'm not buying either because I don't want DX9 in a DX10 game.

That means not only AMD and Nvidia lose, the game developers lose too.