Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DirectX Registry problem

Last response: in Windows XP
December 31, 2009 4:42:01 AM

So I have tried adding DX10 to my XP Pro through some installer called DirectX10 RC2 Pre Fix3 and it didn't work for me so i tried to uninstall it by deleting all of the DX10 Files and then i deleted the DX folder from the regedit run command instead of just the files within it and now I am not able to reinstall DX9 because when I do it tells me "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem." not only am I getting that problem but I am also getting other error problems like when I start up Firefox, the computer itself and other programs to. How can I fix this problem, because I don't want to reformat my HD.... :( 

EDIT: Never mind I have found and fixed the problem on my own, is there some kind of way to delete this post now that I have fixed my problem?
December 31, 2009 8:22:00 PM

Don't worry about deleting the thread. It's not necessary. In fact, it would be great if you posted back saying how you were able to fix it. That way, others who have the same problem have another potential solution they can attempt.
Score
December 31, 2009 9:04:02 PM

Also, it's a good idea to leave this thread in place so other users don't get fooled into thinking that they can install DX10 on XP. There is no DX10 for XP and there never will be... anyone else claiming otherwise is either lying or just plain ignorant.
Score
Related resources
December 31, 2009 9:59:36 PM

Zoron said:
Also, it's a good idea to leave this thread in place so other users don't get fooled into thinking that they can install DX10 on XP. There is no DX10 for XP and there never will be... anyone else claiming otherwise is either lying or just plain ignorant.

+1. Very good point.
Score
December 31, 2009 11:49:15 PM

well I heard that it works and that's why I tried it, but it didn't work for me so i tried to switch back to DX9. Then I went to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...
and downloaded the DirectX SDK and placed all those files into C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX\websetup if you don't see the websetup folder maker sure you enable the show hidden files and folder option under Tool>Folder Options>View. After that I tried to reinstall it and it worked. I guess it worked cause I deleted all of the DX10 files. If you need any further help just ask or if you don't understand it completely.
Score
January 1, 2010 12:30:44 AM

Yes, there are those that claim that it works... but in reality it doesn't. None of the people that claim to have it working are able to post screen shots showing DX10 effects. I'm sure that when they run DXDiag it says DX10 on the main Window... but that is probably the only change that has really been made.

I also heard that it is nothing more than a "wrapper". It wraps DX10 calls to DX9 so that DX10 games could be played on XP... but it still wouldn't be DX10. DX10 was written for Vista's display model... which completely different from XP's. There are a lot of people out there claiming that it works, but the project was abandoned before it was finished. The files that are out there will do nothing at best and you've found what they'll do at worst.
Score
January 1, 2010 1:11:51 AM

Zoron said:
Yes, there are those that claim that it works... but in reality it doesn't. None of the people that claim to have it working are able to post screen shots showing DX10 effects. I'm sure that when they run DXDiag it says DX10 on the main Window... but that is probably the only change that has really been made.

I also heard that it is nothing more than a "wrapper". It wraps DX10 calls to DX9 so that DX10 games could be played on XP... but it still wouldn't be DX10. DX10 was written for Vista's display model... which completely different from XP's. There are a lot of people out there claiming that it works, but the project was abandoned before it was finished. The files that are out there will do nothing at best and you've found what they'll do at worst.

When I downloaded it and checked dxdiag it did say DX10 on it but when I tried to play DMC4 in DX10 it didn't work, so yes I would call it a wrapper and hopefully any other unlucky person like me will either be able to fix the problem or use this thread to help themselves from that BS of having DX10 on XP.
Score
!