RCT2 - Can I install it on another drive?

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

I have 3 hard drives. The C: for general programs. E: for games and F: for
MP3s.

The C: is almost full and I want to install RCT2 on the E: because that's
the games drive. It doesn't let me! It doesn't even give me the option.

Is there a way to get it to install on the E: which has plenty of space?

Gemfyre
4 answers Last reply
More about rct2 install drive
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

    Gemfyre wrote:
    > I have 3 hard drives. The C: for general programs. E: for games and F: for
    > MP3s.
    >
    > The C: is almost full and I want to install RCT2 on the E: because that's
    > the games drive. It doesn't let me! It doesn't even give me the option.
    >
    > Is there a way to get it to install on the E: which has plenty of space?
    >
    > Gemfyre

    If you are comfortable using Regedit, it shouldn't be too hard. Copy
    the whole RCT2 directory from your C: to your E: drive. Then open up
    Regedit and go to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fish Technology Group\RollerCoaster Tycoon Setup

    If you are paranoid about editing the registry, you can do a backup by
    using the menu Registry - Export Registry File.

    In that key you will see a Path entry, which indicates where the game is
    installed. You should be able to change that to the new location of the
    game and be on your merry way. (Right-click on Path, and pick Modify)

    In addition, if you want to eliminate the need to have the CD in the
    drive, copy the entire Data directory off of the CD to the data
    directory in your RCT2 game directory. Then change the SetupPath entry
    in the above registry key to be the same as the Path entry. You should
    then be able to run the game without the CD.

    If any of this fails, you will still have the game on C:, and you can
    restore the registry entry by double-clicking the .reg file that you
    created if you backed it up.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

    "gl" <dad.n.o.s.p.a.m.@user3.bestdsl.net> wrote in message
    > Gemfyre wrote:
    >> I have 3 hard drives. The C: for general programs. E: for games and F:
    >> for
    >> MP3s.
    >>
    >> The C: is almost full and I want to install RCT2 on the E: because that's
    >> the games drive. It doesn't let me! It doesn't even give me the option.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get it to install on the E: which has plenty of space?
    >>
    >> Gemfyre
    >>

    > If you are comfortable using Regedit, it shouldn't be too hard. Copy
    > the whole RCT2 directory from your C: to your E: drive. Then open up
    > Regedit and go to:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fish Technology Group\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    > Setup
    >
    > If you are paranoid about editing the registry, you can do a backup by
    > using the menu Registry - Export Registry File.
    >
    > In that key you will see a Path entry, which indicates where the game is
    > installed. You should be able to change that to the new location of the
    > game and be on your merry way. (Right-click on Path, and pick Modify)
    >
    > In addition, if you want to eliminate the need to have the CD in the
    > drive, copy the entire Data directory off of the CD to the data
    > directory in your RCT2 game directory. Then change the SetupPath entry
    > in the above registry key to be the same as the Path entry. You should
    > then be able to run the game without the CD.
    >
    > If any of this fails, you will still have the game on C:, and you can
    > restore the registry entry by double-clicking the .reg file that you
    > created if you backed it up.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    These instructions are for RCT1.

    The following are registry entries for RCT2.
    I have attached a copy of the text in a file called RCT2.reg which is in a
    zip file.
    Make an edited copy of this file with the C: references changed to E:, then
    double-click on the file in windows explorer and click OK when regedit asks
    if you want to add the informatiom to the registry.
    You can run the original RCT2.reg to restore your original settings.
    -------------------------- start of RCT2.reg --------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\rct2.exe\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\rct2.exe %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2File0\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\RCT2.EXE,3"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2File0\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\rct2.exe %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2File1\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\RCT2.EXE,2"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2File1\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\rct2.exe %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2File3\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    2\\RCT2.EXE,4"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Infogrames\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Setup]
    "Title"="Roll"
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"
    "SetupPath"="R:"
    "Executable"="rct2.exe"
    "FontPointSize"=dword:0000000c
    "Language"=dword:00000000
    "CDKey"=dword:00000000
    "CharSet"=dword:00000000
    "FontFaceName"="MS Sans Serif"
    "OKPrompt"="OK"
    "CancelPrompt"="Cancel"
    "InstallLevel"=dword:00000001
    --------------------------- end of RCT2.reg -------------------------

    begin 666 rct2reg.zip
    M4$L#!!0``@`(`%5Q;#&C'9RX: $``)P%```(`"0`<F-T,BYR96<*`" `````
    M``$`& !@P@QR!,G$`1#?W=@$R<0!T,X<>$J8Q '5D5UKPC 8A>\%_T,I[&X,
    MK5X)PDI,9[%^T!:VL0S)XJL&TJ0TT7W\^B6Z.38<VT6]L%=]SVG.^^0TQ3=X
    M$.?=9J/9>!B.\/T\F:(PF8]#-(PGF&33*+\-4TR0H%J#)F%9"LZHX4IJ4C$3
    M7,$+$+T&(8@J01*FBH+*Q6.S<=WW48^06:56%2V\B M[GL1RN9M!>[$T4%%F
    M^!8(29404"%%M16]_)4I);V ''9X%VW_WY3'PQQ!BPQ@23?"Q$S)VB!3E =7
    M^ Y?=NIA/)\^VZ?M,ZB'\7SZ[)RVS^[?C%_9O\1Y&9A-:=G\G!L!?M]WW]E@
    M?T;-VJ\!V&7MEGP$ICVGX!=@&T.?=BL_:W=&I*29*2Y-QM^LMWA6U:+7VC_,
    M^@F5JPU=_;1:UD*#$;P>T]>TL@1''+<LH@PF]C*68YQY&97:=E+QI8.9CNS5
    MB](>M:].0%0R$ =Q/SHCEMI0(1+8VOG[HK;[2^]02P$"&0`4``(`" !5<6PQ
    MHQV<N&@!``"<!0``" ```````````" `````````<F-T,BYR96=02P4&````
    /``$``0`V````L@$`````
    `
    end
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

    > Gemfyre wrote:
    >> I have 3 hard drives. The C: for general programs. E: for games and F:
    >> for MP3s.
    >>
    >> The C: is almost full and I want to install RCT2 on the E: because that's
    >> the games drive. It doesn't let me! It doesn't even give me the option.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get it to install on the E: which has plenty of space?
    >>
    >> Gemfyre
    >
    > If you are comfortable using Regedit, it shouldn't be too hard. Copy the
    > whole RCT2 directory from your C: to your E: drive. Then open up Regedit
    > and go to:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fish Technology Group\RollerCoaster Tycoon
    > Setup
    >
    > If you are paranoid about editing the registry, you can do a backup by
    > using the menu Registry - Export Registry File.
    >
    > In that key you will see a Path entry, which indicates where the game is
    > installed. You should be able to change that to the new location of the
    > game and be on your merry way. (Right-click on Path, and pick Modify)
    >
    > In addition, if you want to eliminate the need to have the CD in the
    > drive, copy the entire Data directory off of the CD to the data directory
    > in your RCT2 game directory. Then change the SetupPath entry in the above
    > registry key to be the same as the Path entry. You should then be able to
    > run the game without the CD.
    >
    > If any of this fails, you will still have the game on C:, and you can
    > restore the registry entry by double-clicking the .reg file that you
    > created if you backed it up.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    These instructions are for RCT1.

    The following are registry entries for RCT2.
    I tried to attached a copy of the text in a file called RCT2.reg in a zip
    file but the message disappeared
    from the server - maybe I can't post attachments. So - just use the text
    below to make RCT2.reg
    Note: the "SetupPath"="R:" refers to my cdrom drive on R: - substitute your
    drive letter.
    Make an edited copy of this file with the C: references changed to E:, then
    double-click on the file in windows explorer and click OK when regedit asks
    if you want to add the informatiom to the registry.
    You can run the original RCT2.reg to restore your original settings.

    If you want me to email you the file in a zip email me at
    specialnoone@spamnotcomcast.net
    with the spamnot removed.
[...]

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

    Looks like word wrapping screwed up some long entries
    You probably only need the section below.
    Actually only the line with "Path"

    ---------------- start -------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Infogrames\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Setup]
    "Title"="Roll"
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"
    "SetupPath"="R:"
    "Executable"="rct2.exe"
    "FontPointSize"=dword:0000000c
    "Language"=dword:00000000
    "CDKey"=dword:00000000
    "CharSet"=dword:00000000
    "FontFaceName"="MS Sans Serif"
    "OKPrompt"="OK"
    "CancelPrompt"="Cancel"
    "InstallLevel"=dword:00000001

    minimal version

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Infogrames\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Setup]
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2"

Games Hard Drives Video Games