Sign in with
Your question

Issues or Not with C2D 6600

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2007 3:43:28 AM

I've built and ran this box as my primary computer for over 6 months now. When I got it. I went through 6+ hours of burn in to make sure everything was stable. I'm running everything at stock speeds. However the motherboard bios/speedfan has always reported an abnormally high cpu temperature. When i bought the core 2 duo there wasn't much info on acceptable temperatures but now that they've been out for a while the reported temperatures are always much lower than mine.

The CPUIdles at 65C and with both cores at 100% I hit 77C! Is this in a range that is dangerous to the processor, it is on stock cooling, and always has been. I have reseated the fan once with no effect on temperatures. I am thinking about getting an aftermarket heat sink (arctic freezer 8?) with some arctic silver. And getting some low noise fans. (With about the same CF/M rate) (The case has 2 120mm and 3 80mm fans)

I know that the diode's could be reading wrong. But I am still concerned.

Semi unrelated. Windows Vista refuses to throttle the processor back from 100% clock speed. While this really isn't an issue, i'd like to drop the power consumption because the computer will quickly heat a room. I'm thinking it may be a driver/bios issue. Any suggestions.

Heres my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 (Stock Cooler)
Nvidia 7900 GTO 512MB
2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Ram
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Mobo
Thermaltake Armor Case

More about : issues c2d 6600

July 6, 2007 3:47:48 AM

get some thermal compound and reseat the stock cooler. You either didn't put the stock cooler on correctly or the cooler's tention devise came lose. Normal temp for any c2d with stock cooler, stock speed, under 100% load should be under 55"C.
July 6, 2007 3:50:43 AM

Have you double checked the way the stock HSF is sitting on the CPU?
Has this problem existed before? I noticed you said it was reporting abnormally high temps, but have they always been this high (65c idle, and 77c on load)?

Most of the problems have been known to be the way the HSF is set on the CPU. Those nasty push pins aren't the best design, and some have had problems with them. I use a stock HSF in my HTPC, and when I mounted the HSF, it made the most horrible popping/cracking sound when I push the pins into the board. The board was fine, but it was a chore to push them all the way in.

I would recheck the mounting of the HSF, and if possible, I would even replace it with a 3rd party HSF, that uses a bracket/screw type to mount. Remember, if you remove the HSF completely, to put new thermal paste (after cleaning the CPU). It doesn't hurt, and it might help a bit, too.

Good luck.
Related resources
July 6, 2007 3:55:48 AM

I might try that. But I have no thermal paste to put on if I try to reseat it again. I think its prolly the pins (I'm notoriously timid with hardware. And I didnt want to put to much pressure.) The temps have always been like that. Never any issues with this pc though. Never bluescreened or any odd errors.
July 6, 2007 4:20:13 AM

WOW! Okay. After i made that post. I opened up my pc and checked for the 3rd time. And I realized that the sink wasn't secured down properly at all! It was loose, 1 pin was in, so it wasn't making contact with the processor at all! Speedfan now reports 48C idle and 55C load on both cores. (using CPU burn in 1.01) I can't believe I goofed up that much. (The pins are really tough to get down there right, not hard, but like. I didnt want to stress the mobo. Worred that I was gonna crack it or something.)

The odd thing is. The processor never seemed to throttle under full load. I could be wrong though. Is it surprising that a C2D ran for 6+ months and passed stress testing without the heatsink having contact?
July 6, 2007 4:36:06 AM

Good job.

Not sure why the throttling didn't kick on, unless it was turned off in BIOS.

Either way, just keep an eye on your temps for the next few days, and see if they stablize.

Glad to hear you found your problem.
July 6, 2007 4:42:39 AM

i would re set your hsf now that you have found the problem.. go buy some arctic silver 5 or whatever and re set it.. those temps still seem a bit high to me.. what is the ambient temperature at your house at the momment??
July 6, 2007 4:46:35 AM

Ambient is prolly like 28C or so. No AC in this room and door stay's closed alot.
July 6, 2007 6:11:56 AM

If you reapply thermal compound, then your temp should decrease by another 5 degrees. Just spend 2$ and buy a little bit of no name brand silicone thermal compound, no need arctic Silver 5 because you're not overclocking.
July 6, 2007 6:40:25 AM

Yeah. But I'm thinking about overclocking now that I've gotten temp's down. I bought the processor because of its overclocking potential. I just knew I couldn't where the temp's were, I sorta gave up until now on it.
July 6, 2007 3:44:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah. But I'm thinking about overclocking now that I've gotten temp's down. I bought the processor because of its overclocking potential. I just knew I couldn't where the temp's were, I sorta gave up until now on it.

Remember that the stock Intel HSF will not allow too large an overclock, mostly cause it sucks compared to 3rd party HSFs. So, if you are planning on overclocking, look around for a different HSF (check some sites with HSF reviews and such), and get one that will accomodate the overclocking range(s) you intend to try.

And get some AS 5 or equivalent thermal paste.
July 6, 2007 4:35:43 PM

Well. For a non-stock HSF I'm looking at this Zalman 9700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone have any better suggestions/comments on that HSF?

I'm almost tempted to replace my audio with a Creative X-Fi, I know this isn't the right forum, but are they worth the money?
a c 379 à CPUs
July 6, 2007 5:34:48 PM

The bios is where you have to enable EIST(enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology). Run cpu-z, it will show a lower speed at idle if eist is working, then ramp up if you do something.
As to the current heat sink, leave it alone until you decide to replace it. You were lucky it didn't get worse if you reseated it without cleaning and applying new thermal compound. I tried using as5 and shin-etsu-x23 on a e6300 with stock cooler, and my temps were no better than yours. The current best cpu cooler seems to be the thermalright 120 extreme. You might as well get the best, or you will always be wondering if that is the reason you can't OC higher.
I tried an x-fi, and took it out. It wasn't worth the money.
July 6, 2007 6:45:18 PM

All the bios is configured right. However. If I go into power management and set it to balanced with the maximum processor speed anything but 100% the system immediately halts when I press apply. No bluescreen or eventlog error. Just a halt. I think it's prolly a bios issue. (There's a few for this board.) or a chipset issue on vista.

Edit: Also. The difference between the Zalman cooler I mentioned and the Thermalright are marginal. But you have to buy a fan for the thermalright and newegg reviews report low quality on some of the heatsink bottoms.
July 6, 2007 9:08:51 PM

Quote:
Well. For a non-stock HSF I'm looking at this Zalman 9700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone have any better suggestions/comments on that HSF?

I'm almost tempted to replace my audio with a Creative X-Fi, I know this isn't the right forum, but are they worth the money?

To be honest, my E6700 is being cooled by a Swiftech H20-120 water loop. Not so much for my E6700, but my 8800GTS card. I have been water cooling for better part of 2 1/2 years now.

I usually recommend the Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, but not for serious overclockers. I'm sure the AC Pro 7 would be good, but just not good enough. Plus, those super coolers are pretty damn heavy (imo), and I always freak out when I mount something that heavy sideways. :lol: 

Here's a good chart of CPU coolers.
Anandtech's chart

The Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme seems to be a good cooler, but again, it looks heavier than he-double hockey sticks, to me.
July 6, 2007 10:38:12 PM

i highly suggest you get one of these 2 instead

1) (this is second best heat sink with fan you can get) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18703&vpn=UL...

2) (this is the best you can get from just air cooling) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23531&vpn=UL...

mind u these are canadian prices

*lol the ones i listed are cheaper and they perform WAAAAY BETTTER and are really in my opinion not even in the same category.. the zalman is nice looking but really just doesnt keep up at all with the thermalright ultra..

*here is a link to the bench marks, just scroll down and click next page for the next set of them.. http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=294...
July 6, 2007 11:33:33 PM

Before you go and buy a Thermalright Ultra 120 you need to make sure your case is large enough, they are huge. The Zalman 9700 is an excellent cooler and will be perfectly fine, for the most part, for anyone not doing an overclock that would need something more than air can offer anyway.
I have an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and it blows integrated sound out of the water, coupled with my Razer Barracuda headset, the sound is amazing.
July 7, 2007 12:02:04 AM

i wouldnt call it huge.. its what 10 cm tall??
July 7, 2007 12:11:44 AM

It's the tallest air cooler that I am aware of at 63.44 x 132.00 x 160.50mm. I would imagine that there are cases that won't fit it, especially if it's one with a fan on the side panel right over the cpu.
July 7, 2007 12:15:50 AM

ok so it will be a squeeze lol, but still it isnt THAT big... its just big.. lol

you could always cut a hole in your case :lol: 
July 7, 2007 3:25:40 AM

1. AF 7 Pro 35$ for overclocking to 3.0ghz~.
2. Tuniq Tower 60$ includes fan controller for low medium high noises. At full load at stock, Tuniq tower can manage 45"C producing 10x less noise (20DBA less).
3. Ultra Extreme 120 + Scythe SFlex fan for 80$ The absolute best air cooler you can buy but only a tiny bit better than Tuniq Tower 120. The noise is lower than Tuniq tower because of Scythe SFlex, but if you buy SFlex with Tuniq Tower, then then the noise will be roughly the same thing.
July 7, 2007 4:11:10 AM

Quote:
1. AF 7 Pro 35$ for overclocking to 3.0ghz~.
2. Tuniq Tower 60$ includes fan controller for low medium high noises. At full load at stock, Tuniq tower can manage 45"C producing 10x less noise (20DBA less).
3. Ultra Extreme 120 + Scythe SFlex fan for 80$ The absolute best air cooler you can buy but only a tiny bit better than Tuniq Tower 120. The noise is lower than Tuniq tower because of Scythe SFlex, but if you buy SFlex with Tuniq Tower, then then the noise will be roughly the same thing.

Nice.

Like I mentioned, I don't recommend above the AC Freezer Pro 7, since most of the people I help build their systems for, won't overclock, or might just a bit.

Excellent list of the top coolers, though. Nice break down.
July 7, 2007 5:08:46 AM

Well. I think you sold me on the Thermalright heatsink. (I still have some issues about machining issues with the bottom of the heatsink, i've never lapped one before and would rather not if I don't get a good one)

I'm not looking for an insane overclock. (If I had the money. I'd go watercooled for a silent/fast solution.) Although I think I'd like to hit somewhere in the 3.2-3.4GHz range, is this possible with a C2D E6600 and air cooling?
July 7, 2007 5:35:25 AM

With a newer E6600 3.4GHz may be a problem they don't overclock as well as the early models. Before I got my Tuniq tower I had a Zaleman 9500 and my E6600 was fine at 3.4GHz @ 1.325Vand was on the warm around 65C at 3.6GHz @1.4v. Most E6600 will need more voltage to reach those level and will run hotter. You should try to wait until the E6850 comes out in a few weeks which will run cooler and appears to OC well.
July 7, 2007 5:42:53 AM

What cpu revision are you on. I think I have an early revision also. Not sure. CPU Z says I have

Stepping 6
Rev. B2
July 7, 2007 6:20:01 AM

how come no one is recommending the scythe ninja anymore? its such a great cooler and is constantly on sale at newegg for $35 or so...
July 7, 2007 6:39:54 AM

I"ll teach you how to lap and give you some sand paper. Which part of Greater Vancouver do you live in? I live in Burnaby. If you wanted, we could share some insights and some sandpaper. You have a early stepping thus it should overclock pretty high because that's when Intel tries to build a reputation thus build everything overkill. You should be able to achieve at least 3.5ghz with Tuniq tower 120 or Ultra extreme 120.
July 7, 2007 6:51:18 AM

Lol. I'm nowhere near that. Updated my profile. I'm in AR, US. >.<
July 7, 2007 6:59:08 AM

Opps :roll:

I thought this was you. Apparently this user was asking help and live near me. He also has E6600 with temperature problems. HEHE. SORRY

Quote:
HELP OUT A CANADIAN KID! (thank you)Reply with quote Reply without quote
First off, i would like to thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

I know this is kinda funny but i live in Vancouver and it gets pretty hot out with my room on fire by the end of the day. So with the room @ 26*C i turn on my pc and the cpu idles @ 46-50*C with an AC7pro. this temp is what i get @ stock speeds with my E6600 undervolted @ 1.23V.
July 7, 2007 7:02:03 AM

Lol. Its alright. If the hsf I get has machining issues can anyone give a link to a good lapping guide?
July 7, 2007 7:16:53 AM

For the Ultra Extreme Ultra, there's a stickies in the Heatsink in the overclocking section in Tomshardware forumz. It has pictures and diagrams. It also tells you the method to how you can lap the HSF. The cpu they had in that stickies was a Q6600 i believe. The integrated heat spreader should be the same as E6600. So it's almost the same setup as yours. Lapping is very simple, but i gained skills on lapping by lapping a metal jar lid. 8O It's concave and made out of metal and has a layer of bronze/nickel/someother metal/ plating on the steel lid thus very similar to a CPU. The best thing about jar lid is that you can find it in a garbage can and throw it away and find a new one after you messed up.
!