Windows XP Backup not working

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have a customer who has two machines, which i have configured both
machines to backup to a usb external hard drive which is attached to
one of the machines.

I connect to both machines via remote desktop under password protected
'RemoteUser' administrator accounts that are setup on each machine.

The machine (machine1) with the usb drive physically attached runs the
backups fine. The other (machine2) does not. from machine2 i have
mapped the external drive. The backups run when i am logged in as
remote user, but when not logged in, they do not run.. Any ideas?

There is a check box stating to run only when logged in.. this is not
ticked.

I really need help with this.

Thanks

Vincent

"Winshent" <winshent-google@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a customer who has two machines, which i have configured both
> machines to backup to a usb external hard drive which is attached to
> one of the machines.
>
> I connect to both machines via remote desktop under password protected
> 'RemoteUser' administrator accounts that are setup on each machine.
>
> The machine (machine1) with the usb drive physically attached runs the
> backups fine. The other (machine2) does not. from machine2 i have
> mapped the external drive. The backups run when i am logged in as
> remote user, but when not logged in, they do not run.. Any ideas?
>
> There is a check box stating to run only when logged in.. this is not
> ticked.
>
> I really need help with this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vincent

Don't use a mapped drive. Use the UNC name of the share e.g.
\\ComputerName\ShareName. The mapped drive doesn't exist until the user is
logged in.

Kerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Winshent" <winshent-google@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a customer who has two machines, which i have configured both
> machines to backup to a usb external hard drive which is attached to
> one of the machines.
>
> I connect to both machines via remote desktop under password protected
> 'RemoteUser' administrator accounts that are setup on each machine.
>
> The machine (machine1) with the usb drive physically attached runs the
> backups fine. The other (machine2) does not. from machine2 i have
> mapped the external drive. The backups run when i am logged in as
> remote user, but when not logged in, they do not run.. Any ideas?

Can the user with the problem browse the USB drive? Can they create/save a
file on the USB drive?

I also had problems with the same setup (using Drive Image) but it all works
now! Here are the notes I wrote at the time. I had two problems and this is
how they were solved...

Problem 1
========

Drive Image kept saying it didn't have permission to access the shared
folder... Here is my solution....

If you are sure you have set up your accounts and shares correctly but you
still can't access a machine over your LAN and you get either access
permission errors or "Not enough server storage" (or perhaps other
messages?) then his might be worth checking.

Look in the event log on the "server". This might be an ordinary PC in the
case of a home LAN, either way it's the PC hosting the share you are trying
to contact. See if there is an entry telling you the irpstacksize is too
small.

I believe this problems may be due to Norton Antivirus S/W...

Norton have this advisory (long URL may wrap to new line and need repair)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/c851d9242b6f1c4d88256d8000469d43/23c023a837b5241188256d03005eb145?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

and Microsoft have this one..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;106167

HOWEVER the above only mention the error message being "Not enough server
storage...". I found it can also give access permission errors (something
like "Access denied" or "Insufficient acesss", I can't remember exactly).
These are really confusing to someone trying to set up a home LAN.

Here is what I found...

irpstacksize = 11 (dec) causes access permission errors.

irpstacksize = 13/14 the error changed to "Not enough server storage" or
similar.

irpstacksize = 15 and my network shares now work fine.

Problem 2
========

Once I had fixed the above I found my backup would abort half way through
with a "Delayed Write Failure". This is tricky to explain. The problem seems
to occur because shared folders can cause excess network traffic. I read
somewhere that every time the content of a shared folder is changed messages
are sent to all computers/accounts that have access to the share (eg every
time Drive Image appends a byte or two of data to the backup multiple
messages are sent out and this slows down the LAN to the point that a "write
buffer" gets overwritten).

The fix for me was to restructure the folders I was using to hold backups
and "push the share down a level"....

Before...

I shared a folder called "Backups" on PC1 and arranged for PC1 to write to
subfolder "Backups\PC1" and PC2 to write to Backups\PC2 etc.

After...

I removed the share from "Backups" and shared Backups\PC2 only. (Backups\PC1
does not need to be shared).

This seems to have cured the problem.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks for the response CWatters, v useful..

It turned out i needed to add the drive as a network place instead of a
mapped drive as Kerry pointed out.

Thanks again

Vincent