my msi p6n diamond caught on fire! please help

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I have been wanting to make a pc for years, and now that I have a decent job I can afford to. I bought the p6n diamond and put it into my tt armor case. I had all the fans, dvd drives, lights, cpu, and video card plugged in and working. everything was going fine until i smelled smoke. I looked down and saw a small flame on a little chip right above the mobos usb pin conector. I RMA ed it today ( on a time limmit so i had to overnight it from PA to CA which costed 90 dollars :cry: ) and should have my new one this wednesday. In the meantime I am trying to figure out if the fire was my fault or a bad board. If anyone had this happen to them or if you have any ideas or suggestions please,PLEASE reply. any help would be greately appreciated. Thank you.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
That is most likely a bad board issue.I've been building computers for 3 yrs. now and I've never had your particular issue.But looking at all the facts,it seems to me that there was something wrong with the board.Especially considering it was a small chip on the motherboard itself.Smacks of a manufacturers defect.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950 GX2 560/1450
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
3DMARK05 14644

NamronSllim

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Did you put the standoffs in the case to mount the board to they are brass and they screw into the case where the MOBO mounting holes line up to

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
ya i did that, all 9 of them. I read the manual just to make sure that i did every thing right. only thing that i am unsure of is that i plugged the case fans into the psu and into the mobo by using the 3 pin conectors. Thanks for your replys

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Are you saying you plugged in the case fan to the psu and the motherboard at the same time???I know that some fans come with dual connectors in case there is not enough on the MB,that way you can still use the fans just by plugging it into the psu.You must only use one or the other power connector.You are not supposed to use both if the fan has bothe.Not unless it is a specialty cooling set up which requires extra power.But if all it is is a case fan,then you only need the one connection hooked up.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950 GX2 560/1450
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
3DMARK05 14644

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
The thermaltake armor came with 4 fans. i think that only 2 or 3 of them had 3 pin conectors and (I think it is called) a molex conector. the rest just had a molex conector.I thought that the 3 pin conectors might be for adjusting the fan speed or something.

I was reading the psu manual and I noticed that it had a 20+4 atx conector and the mobo has a 24 pin connector. I didnt even think that would be a problem so i plugged both the 20 and 4 pin conectors in. also the mobo had a 8 (socket??) conector for the cpu and the psu had 2 seperate 4 (pin??) cpu conectors, so i plugged them both in. Everything was working, thats why i cannot figure out what happened.

This is my first build so i dont know everything yet, but i followed guides, walkthroughs and the manuals. Thank you posting, this is a great help to me.