Sign in with
Your question

Install updates will not go away

Last response: in Windows XP
January 1, 2010 1:59:36 PM

Every time I shut down windows xp pro I have the message "install updates and shutdown." I can shut down twenty times in a row, watch it install, and the same message is always there when I select shutdown. How can I remove this? I have no restore points to roll back to as far as I can tell, I already tried that.

More about : install updates

Anonymous
January 1, 2010 3:18:18 PM

It's probably an update that's failing to install. Try running Windows Update manually and see what happens.
m
l
Anonymous
January 2, 2010 6:40:24 PM

I have downloaded windows XP on my computer.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 2:35:35 AM

hswaters said:
Every time I shut down windows xp pro I have the message "install updates and shutdown." I can shut down twenty times in a row, watch it install, and the same message is always there when I select shutdown. How can I remove this? I have no restore points to roll back to as far as I can tell, I already tried that.

Try Revo uninstaller for everything to be cleaned out or Glary Utilites for cleaning. Both free.
m
l
January 3, 2010 6:59:33 AM

I used to get this problem with a couple of updates to the .NET framework in Windows 2000; apparently it was a common problem. Solution was just to tell Windows Update to ignore those particular updates.
m
l
January 9, 2010 11:30:33 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. What I finally did was to re-install windows. This makes things run faster for a while anyway.
m
l
!