Install updates will not go away

Every time I shut down windows xp pro I have the message "install updates and shutdown." I can shut down twenty times in a row, watch it install, and the same message is always there when I select shutdown. How can I remove this? I have no restore points to roll back to as far as I can tell, I already tried that.
6 answers Last reply
More about install updates away
  1. It's probably an update that's failing to install. Try running Windows Update manually and see what happens.
  2. I have downloaded windows XP on my computer.
  3. hswaters said:
    Every time I shut down windows xp pro I have the message "install updates and shutdown." I can shut down twenty times in a row, watch it install, and the same message is always there when I select shutdown. How can I remove this? I have no restore points to roll back to as far as I can tell, I already tried that.

Try Revo uninstaller for everything to be cleaned out or Glary Utilites for cleaning. Both free.
  4. I used to get this problem with a couple of updates to the .NET framework in Windows 2000; apparently it was a common problem. Solution was just to tell Windows Update to ignore those particular updates.
  5. You can try the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx It completely removes all the .NET software which can then be reinstalled.
  6. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. What I finally did was to re-install windows. This makes things run faster for a while anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Shutdown Windows XP