Still need solution to inaccessible briefcase files on CDRW

June 27, 2005 3:13:03 PM

I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered worked. I
desperately need your help to resolve this issue.

I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack CD
re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software

I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase on the
laptop.

I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc

I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as a
stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)

Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop. Here
is what happens:
1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
"The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
that the disk is accessible"

It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the disk is
accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.

I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for this
operation because then I would not be able to synchronise briefcase files on
a CDR???

Also I have:
Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE PROBLEM

Nick
June 27, 2005 4:19:04 PM

Very simple......use a CD-RW and format (packket writing) the disk first
using Nero or Roxio. It will then work just like another harddrive. Easy
access and you can copy&paste, drag&drop, add, delete, etc.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"NickC" wrote:

> I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered worked. I
> desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
>
> I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack CD
> re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
>
> I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase on the
> laptop.
>
> I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
>
> I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as a
> stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
>
> Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop. Here
> is what happens:
> 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
> that the disk is accessible"
>
> It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the disk is
> accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
>
> I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for this
> operation because then I would not be able to synchronise briefcase files on
> a CDR???
>
> Also I have:
> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
>

> PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE PROBLEM
>
> Nick

June 27, 2005 4:25:01 PM

NickC wrote:

> I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered
> worked. I desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
>
> I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack
> CD re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
>
> I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase
> on the laptop.
>
> I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
>
> I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as
> a stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
>
> Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop.
> Here is what happens:
> 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
> Verify that the disk is accessible"
>
> It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the
> disk is
> accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
>
> I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for
> this operation because then I would not be able to synchronise
> briefcase files on a CDR???
>
> Also I have:
> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files
> (recommended)"
>

> PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE
> PROBLEM
>
> Nick

It *is* a simple problem. You created these file in a packet-writing
program by Roxio. You either need the same packet-writing program or a
udf reader (Roxio may have one on their site) installed on the machine
on which you wish to read the data. This is the problem with using
packet-writing software and why I always recommend not doing it. IOW,
use plain old CD-R and *not* CD-RW.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I formatted the disk with Roxio Drag to Disc

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Very simple......use a CD-RW and format (packket writing) the disk first
> using Nero or Roxio. It will then work just like another harddrive. Easy
> access and you can copy&paste, drag&drop, add, delete, etc.
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "NickC" wrote:
>
> > I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered
worked. I
> > desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
> >
> > I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack CD
> > re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
> >
> > I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase on
the
> > laptop.
> >
> > I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> > Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
> >
> > I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as a
> > stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
> >
> > Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop.
Here
> > is what happens:
> > 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> > 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> > "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
Verify
> > that the disk is accessible"
> >
> > It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the disk
is
> > accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
> >
> > I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for this
> > operation because then I would not be able to synchronise briefcase
files on
> > a CDR???
> >
> > Also I have:
> > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
> >

> > PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE
PROBLEM

> > Nick

June 27, 2005 8:03:50 PM

I am trying to open folder on the same laptop with Roxio from which I burnt
files to external burner

> NickC wrote:
>
> > I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered
> > worked. I desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
> >
> > I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack
> > CD re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
> >
> > I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase
> > on the laptop.
> >
> > I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> > Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
> >
> > I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as
> > a stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
> >
> > Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop.
> > Here is what happens:
> > 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> > 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> > "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
> > Verify that the disk is accessible"
> >
> > It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the
> > disk is
> > accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
> >
> > I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for
> > this operation because then I would not be able to synchronise
> > briefcase files on a CDR???
> >
> > Also I have:
> > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files
> > (recommended)"
> >

> > PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE
> > PROBLEM
> >
> > Nick
>
> It *is* a simple problem. You created these file in a packet-writing
> program by Roxio. You either need the same packet-writing program or a
> udf reader (Roxio may have one on their site) installed on the machine
> on which you wish to read the data. This is the problem with using
> packet-writing software and why I always recommend not doing it. IOW,
> use plain old CD-R and *not* CD-RW.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 27, 2005 8:03:51 PM

NickC wrote:

> I am trying to open folder on the same laptop with Roxio from which I
> burnt files to external burner

Damn. I was so hoping it was simple. Sounds like the files got
corrupted. Other than that, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you.
If the files are crucial, you might check out some data recovery
software. Here are a few links:

Restoration:
http://www.geocities.jp/br_kato/

PCInspector File Recovery
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm

Ontrack's EasyRecovery
http://www.ontrack.com/Homepage.aspx?id=3&pagename=Soft...

DriveSavers
http://www.drivesavers.com

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 11:03:54 PM

This article explains what to do when you get the exact error message you
are seeing!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129257

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered worked.
> desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
>
> I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack CD
> re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
>
> I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase on
> the
> laptop.
>
> I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
>
> I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as a
> stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
>
> Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop.
> Here
> is what happens:
> 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
> that the disk is accessible"
>
> It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the disk is
> accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
>
> I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for this
> operation because then I would not be able to synchronise briefcase files
> on
> a CDR???
>
> Also I have:
> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
>

> PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE PROBLEM
>
> Nick

June 28, 2005 12:28:56 AM

> I formatted the disk with Roxio Drag to Disc

What does Drag to Disc return when you select either (from the Drag to Disc
utility)
View Disc Contents ?
Disc Properties ?
Scan Disc ?
Jim
June 28, 2005 1:31:48 AM

I tried it...No luck. Still same problem

Any other ideas. By the way, I inserted the CD with briefcase into another
Dell PC (Win XP Home) and I could open the briefcase there.

So why can I not open them on my Dell laptop

news:o lcz%23x2eFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This article explains what to do when you get the exact error message you
> are seeing!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129257
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have posted this problem before. None of the solutions offered worked.
> > desperately need your help to resolve this issue.
> >
> > I operate a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, Win XP Professional, Backpack CD
> > re-writer, Roxio Cd burning software
> >
> > I added files from my shared folder and my documents to my briefcase on
> > the
> > laptop.
> >
> > I burnt the briefcase from the Dell laptop to a Memorex CD-RW using my
> > Backpack external burner and Roxio Drag-to-disc
> >
> > I also burnt one of the folders that were included in the briefcase as a
> > stand alone folder (i.e. not in briefcase)
> >
> > Now took this CDRW and placed it into my D drive in same Dell laptop.
> > Here
> > is what happens:
> > 1) I could open the stand alone folder OK
> > 2) In trying to open the Briefcase folder I get the message:
> > "The briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
Verify
> > that the disk is accessible"
> >
> > It seems to me that if I could open the standalone folder then the disk
is
> > accessible. So how do I resolve this problem.
> >
> > I have tried using different types of CREW. I cannot use a CDR for this
> > operation because then I would not be able to synchronise briefcase
files
> > on
> > a CDR???
> >
> > Also I have:
> > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
> >

> > PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS FRUSTRATING SINCE IT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE
PROBLEM

> > Nick

June 30, 2005 3:53:18 AM

Unfortunately it seems that no one can help with this problem. Can anyone
at least tell me if they tried burning a briefcase on a CDRW and succeeded
opening it to synchronise the files on another computer

!