maggie1031

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I have a toshiba netbook, hence no disk drive. But I turn it on, hear it starting up, but the screen stays black. There's no error message, nothing. I tried turning it on in safe mode, and got nothing. I got it to turn on and boot up once, tried to system restore, but it cut off while it was "restoring files", and won't come back on again. Please help!

maggie1031

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
When I turn it on, that quiet little sound that tells me it's working... That stops after a couple seconds when it won't start up. But I'll definitely try the monitor. Thx.

maggie1031

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Okay. I hooked up a desktop monitor to this notebook, but before anything could come up on the monitor, I had to select what to show on it. I hooked it up to the netbook: power save mode starts on the monitor when I turn the netbook on. When I turn off the netbook, the monitor comes out of powersave mode, and then goes back to it a few seconds later. The netbook won't come on enough for me to select what goes to the monitor though, so I don't know that it's working or not.

It did come on for a while last night, but there were security updates to download, and when it said to restart, it wouldn't come back on after that.

You'll have to hit a Fn to enable the external display... once usually switches from intergrated display to external monitor, hitting it again results in both being enabled and hitting it one more time goes back to integrated only again. I'm not sure which key it will be, as I don't know what model netbook you have.

maggie1031

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
It's a Toshiba Netbook NB205/N311.

It should state in the user's manual what key combination you will need. There's a display option in the BIOS setup as well... the choices are Auto and System LCD Only. This needs to be set to auto (obviously) rather than System LCD Only.

protocol36

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
That would be the Fn + F5 for toggling between monitors.Also make sure you dont have any usb devices inserted while booting up,flash drive,air card etc.Also possible that maybe the memory module became not fully seated.