WinXP Backup Utility

Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact duplicate
of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks in
advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about winxp backup utility

    Ghost creates an "image" of your hard disk/partition. There are other utilities such as Image for Windows, www.terabyteunlimited.com and others that will do the same.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B36F356E-CE82-4221-8A54-DDF737DA7714@microsoft.com...
    > Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
    > software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
    > two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact duplicate
    > of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks in
    > advance.

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
    >software such as Norton Ghost?

    No. It is less powerful. F. e you cannot create full backup images
    since you have to reinstall Windows first to recreate NTBACKUP backups
    in the case of trouble.

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    Norton Ghost is far superior to windows backup and is more suited to the job
    you want to do, i.e. image your hard drive. It will create an exact
    duplicate of yuor hard drive. I certainly wouldn't be without it.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
    > software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
    > two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact
    > duplicate
    > of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks
    > in
    > advance.

    Thanks guys!

    Check out Acronis TrueImage. If you have a hard drive space you can use
    Acronis True Image to create a hidden partition and schedule incremental
    backups of exact images. This hidden partition can be evoked from startup by
    pressing F11. You can determine which increment to restore. It also will
    backup natively to CD-R/W or to external USB drives.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
    > software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
    > two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact
    duplicate
    > of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks
    in
    > advance.

Backup Microsoft Windows XP