  • Backup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 27, 2005 4:03:08 PM

Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact duplicate
of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks in
advance.

More about : winxp backup utility

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:08:33 PM

Ghost creates an "image" of your hard disk/partition. There are other utilities such as Image for Windows, www.terabyteunlimited.com and others that will do the same.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B36F356E-CE82-4221-8A54-DDF737DA7714@microsoft.com...
> Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
> software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
> two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact duplicate
> of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks in
> advance.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:10:25 AM

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
>software such as Norton Ghost?

No. It is less powerful. F. e you cannot create full backup images
since you have to reinstall Windows first to recreate NTBACKUP backups
in the case of trouble.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

Norton Ghost is far superior to windows backup and is more suited to the job
you want to do, i.e. image your hard drive. It will create an exact
duplicate of yuor hard drive. I certainly wouldn't be without it.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does the built-in WinXP Backup/Restore utility work as well as third-party
> software such as Norton Ghost? What are the main differences between the
> two? I'm looking for a backup utility which will create an exact
> duplicate
> of my system drive including the hidden system and bootup files. Thanks
> in
> advance.
June 28, 2005 12:13:12 PM

Thanks guys!
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:19:38 AM

Check out Acronis TrueImage. If you have a hard drive space you can use
Acronis True Image to create a hidden partition and schedule incremental
backups of exact images. This hidden partition can be evoked from startup by
pressing F11. You can determine which increment to restore. It also will
backup natively to CD-R/W or to external USB drives.

--

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

!