Hi temps on Athlon 64 3000+ Venice

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
i decided to check my sisters pc with cputemp and i discovered that under load it hits 64.4 C . and the max operating temp according to amd is 65 C!!! So we cleaned the pc out of dust which was a lot after 2 years when she bought it , but it still hits 64 C on orthos after one minute and 30 ceconds. when idling it can be 35 (cool and quiet enabled), when you load something from hdd it instantly hits 44 and if you draw in photoshop it gets to ~58. I checked and the cpu fan spins fine. there is no case fans but i have similar system without case fans and i get nwhere that high temps. so what could be the causes and solutions? i think its thermal greases has dried out or something or the heatsink is poorly seated but i wanted to check with you guys first :wink:

You can always go to an after market CPU cooler, however they're only as efficient as the air flow inside the case allows, if its flat stagnant 65c inside the case don't expect the aftermarket cooler to perform miracles, it has to have cooler air to work with, so my suggestion to start off is add some case cooling fans to reduce the temp inside the case, then worry about the CPU cooler.

First establish good case airflow

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
then why can my athlon also with the stock cooler and no case fans have way lower temps? its no way 65 in the case. it showed the same results when the side was open. the temperature in room is 24 C

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Have you tried checking that the heatsink is making good contact with the CPU? Try removing the thermal material from heatsink and CPU and applying some new thermal paste. Does the fan on the heatsink turn freely? Many fans have a bearing (or bushing) right behind the sticker that can be lubed with some oil if you just peel the sticker back enough to get to it. Often that will get a fan back to spinning normally for another year or so.

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
the fan is turning freely, i thought about the thermal grease and seating but i want to know any other possible causes if there are any so when i start the surgery i can check out everything at once

i decided to check my sisters pc with cputemp and i discovered that under load it hits 64.4 C . and the max operating temp according to amd is 65 C!!! So we cleaned the pc out of dust which was a lot after 2 years when she bought it , but it still hits 64 C on orthos after one minute and 30 ceconds. when idling it can be 35 (cool and quiet enabled), when you load something from hdd it instantly hits 44 and if you draw in photoshop it gets to ~58. I checked and the cpu fan spins fine. there is no case fans but i have similar system without case fans and i get nwhere that high temps. so what could be the causes and solutions? i think its thermal greases has dried out or something or the heatsink is poorly seated but i wanted to check with you guys first :wink:

then why can my athlon also with the stock cooler and no case fans have way lower temps? its no way 65 in the case. it showed the same results when the side was open. the temperature in room is 24 C

You said you have a similar system not the same system and never exactly said what your temps were, do both systems have the same power supply and exhaust air the same?

From what you've written here the power supply is the only air exhaust you've got in either system, taking the side cover off the machine with no temp change at all, wasn't mentioned in your first post at all.

My suggestion is to make both your machines better not just your sisters, case cooling is important for the life of a computer, can it operate hotter Yes, but with a shorter lifespan.

Brand name companies give you just enough to get by usually a little past their guarantee date, Why? So you buy another machine.

You might not be able to add any case cooling fans at all, there may be no place to install them in the case, or your P/S may not handle the additional load.

If you already thought the Thermal compound needed to be replaced, just do it and see what happens, you don't need our approval to do that, just remember with Thermal compound the less you use the better, don't gobb it on.

Your turn.

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
just finished changing the thermal paste and the temps now running orthos max out 45 C :D . apparantley the stock had dried out. there was dust too. the amd cooler shocked me though.. it was different from mine in they way it mounted and was a b*tch to take off. the scariest part was the surface of the bottom of the heatsink.. it looked like someone had cut the heatsink off a piece of aluminum with a chainsaw