Quad Core, Dual Core ???????

k i just upgraded my comp and am having game lagging issues on stalker and other games cause my cpu is bottle necking everything im upgrading my cpu mother board and ram. i currently have a AMD 4600 dualcore.

i am planing on upgrading to:

ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048&Tpk=GA-P35C-DS3R%2bLGA%2b775%2bIntel%2bP35

and the CPUi dont know yet im waiting till the proce drop but what CPU would be best i want a quadcore but am wondering what one and i want to make sure i dont have the problem i am having with my current one with it only using one core and that core sucking and bottle necking my system. Also what would be a good aftermarket cpu cooler for the CPU?

any other comments on the motherboard choice and ram is good to thanks!@!!!!!@!#
16 answers Last reply
More about quad core dual core
  1. if u need to get a processor now get the q6600 quad, you can find one on ebay boxed for about 350. but if you dont want to spend that much get a dual core e6600 for around 220. q6600 is more future proof.
  2. 1. Q6600 and Watercooling ( great for 4ghz+ on quadcore)
    2. Q6600 with Ultra Extreme 120 with Scythe SFlex fans ( best air cooler that you can buy right now)
    3. Q6600 with Tuniq Tower 120 (Best bang for the Buck)
  3. k great stuff so the q6600 quad will be dropping this month and that will be a good one to get and it will be able to play games like oblivion and stalker that only use 1 core with out the hitching?
  4. It will handle any single threaded application as well as if not better than a 4.5ghz Intel Pentium 4 at stock speed . If you're playing a multithreaded game such as supreme commander, no cpu can compare to Q6600 except for QX6700 and QX6800.
  5. so what will be the best cpu to buy when the price drops and are all the quads falling in price im willing to pay like up to 400 for one i just want to make sure it will handle stuff for a while i know u cant future proof it but i want as close as u can lol.
  6. If you have 400$ budget on Cpu, you should get a 150$ dollar range water cooling and 250$ Q6600. Then overclock it to 3.2-3.6ghz in no time at all.
  7. im not a fan of water cooling so i want to say away from my case has a really good fan cooling system so just in processor range what would be a good choice
  8. Quote:
    any other comments on the motherboard choice and ram is good to thanks!@!!!!!@!#

I just want to be the first to ask if, once 32 core chips are out, should I buy that or wait for a 64 core?

I mean, a 64 core, 64bit CPU running Wondoze 64 bit OS will be, like a cosmic convergence. I can't wait to have all that on my laptop.
  9. Quote:

I just want to be the first to ask if, once 32 core chips are out, should I buy that or wait for a 64 core?

I mean, a 64 core, 64bit CPU running Wondoze 64 bit OS will be, like a cosmic convergence. I can't wait to have all that on my laptop.

Um Pentium 4s were 32-bit chips, C2Ds and Athlon 64 X2 are 64 bit chips.

Anyway to the OP, I don't think that your bottleneck is your CPU if its an Athlon 64 X2 4600+, especially on STALKER, since I played it with my E6400 and it was fine. Check your video card, STALKER is pretty demanding game on max settings.
  10. i dont know what else it can be when i play games and get lag my first core since its only using one is 100% at the lag times and i have tried different amounts of ram and they don't affect it ether the game and i have tried different video settings on the game with no effect. my gpu is a 8800gts oc and increasing only a few degrees when the game is running the only other thing is when i use ntune on my gpu my disk useage (whatever that is spikes: is that the hard drive and would that be any effect to it?)
  11. Quote:
    i dont know what else it can be when i play games and get lag my first core since its only using one is 100% at the lag times and i have tried different amounts of ram and they don't affect it ether the game and i have tried different video settings on the game with no effect. my gpu is a 8800gts oc and increasing only a few degrees when the game is running the only other thing is when i use ntune on my gpu my disk useage (whatever that is spikes: is that the hard drive and would that be any effect to it?)

Don't think it is HDD, It usually doesn't affect gameplay besides loading times. why don't you try a fresh install of windows? that usually helps solve a lot of issues when it comes to conflicting stuff like old drivers with new drivers and such.
  12. lol, you answered this in another post.... my bad
  13. Great choice on the Motherboard.

I would go with these Gskill because they use D9 Chips and rock. Just read the reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

The CPU question is a hard one. I am going to wait for either a Q6600 G0 Stepping or a E6850. Price will be about the same. The E6850 is clocked at 3ghz and from what I've read will overclock like @@@@@@. For current games the duel core with higher clock will run better than the lower clocked quad at 2.66. If you plan on keeping this setup for years then go with the Q6600 if you upgrade every year or two I would go with the E6850.

Your GPU will always make the most differance in gaming. Your current CPU will rock with a 8800 or 2900 GPU. You could save some $$ and just upgrade your GPU.

Oh, and one more thing on the RAM. If you look around you can get 2gigs PC8500 DDR2 for $135. Might be worth it if you plan on overclocking to the max.

Good Luck :D
  14. What OS are you running it on?

If on vista, it slows the framerates down.

I have an athlon 4800+ and an 8800 GTS OC2....on vista it can't be max settings outside all the time, yet inside it was fine all the time.

Then I tested it back on XP and I had 100% smooth gameplay at all times with max settings, made me think twice about going q6600 route and waiting for penryn.

Did some more testing with other games too, vista cut my frame rates by roughly 10-15%.
  15. If you play supreme commander and crysis right now, you'll be benefited from quad core. Almost any multithreaded application will benefit from the extra cores. In single threaded, a Q6600 will act as if it's a 5Ghz Pentium 4 processor. It will also outperform E6600 in games a little bit because if an antivirus comes up while you're playing game, it could reside on other 3 cores.

In reality, you're already multitasking and multithreading. If you look at the processes section of task manager, you'll see more than 30 process running in the background and many others on the desktop. Going Quad core will be more futureproof than going with a dual and it also has a better performance:price ratio.
  16. my current gpu is an 8800 gts oc 648 mgb bfg so its not the gpu i guess it would be my 400 speed ram but o well i already got the ram i wanted and been wanting to upgrade everything else and since some of my friends are going to buy mu old stuff i should be good. i was on windows xp but just installed xp media edition not change in anything i dont liek vista so im good with this its all i can think of is my processor or low speed ram and teh only fix is ddr2 or 3 so thats why im getting this board and to do that i have to get a new cpu cause of the pin set and yea so im just replacing everyhing so i have a good system with out any bottle necks thanks for all your help guys but it really has to by my processor cause its pushing my core usage to 100 % everytime it does the fram rate drop to 0 and back to 130 lol
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core Dual Core Product